Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just read that recording artist Alicia Keys stated that gansta rap was created by whites to convince the blacks to kill each other. Are some in the black race really this delusional? I've heard similar things said about AIDS; it was also created to wipe out the black race. This sort of thing is what keeps the race war going and going. If they really think that, we haven't got a prayer.
I know that the white producers wanted a product that would sell, I do not believe they thought it would also cause blacks to adopt the behaviors that the songs speak about. Talk about vulnerability with young minds, say it ain't so!! The singer or rapper also wanted to make money, so if this were true he also had a part in it as well. Just like slavery-both races participated and each gained something from it.

Well the records sold and plenty of young black men died and are in prison today based off a message that they heard from a song. The producers ultimate purpose was for monetary reasons, but I do not believe they had any idea the results would be as we know it today.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:24 PM

408 posts, read 696,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't think that there are any white supremacists in this thread. Not one has said that blacks are an inferior race. We just don't think that blacks should dwell on the past to the point of incapacitating themselves in the present and for their future.

And I think that blacks are forgetting that at the time of slavery, the world was a totally different place to live in. We didn't have cars, airplanes, telephones, television or the internet. What was reported in the local newspapers were more local stories and less news about the rest of the country, let alone the world. For the average person, it was a huge deal to travel to any other part of our country. Those living up north had no idea what it was like to be down south. Plus life was hard up north too, so the people up there were more focused on their own problems and issues. And this was before the Industrial Revolution. Over in England and the US, child labor was used in factories... and we are talking about white children from poor families.

And everyone in this thread agrees that slavery is bad.

As to segregation, my white boyfriend's grandparents lived in the East Lansing area of Michigan for most of their lives and according to the family, they always had black friends and went to their weddings and it seemed normal to them.

Anyway, feeling that blacks should stop overreacting to the slavery issue is not being racist or a white supremacist. That's flawed logic right there. It's more like tough love, like when your best friend gets divorced and keeps ranting on about her awful ex-husband and finally you tell her that you're glad she's out of the marriage but that it's time to move on with her life... to not become a man-hater and to not punish her next boyfriend with all of her baggage.
Slavery is not the issue!!!!! Are you blind, I mean that seriously, because a few posts back I addressed this.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:35 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
I would like to know where I could go to hear this
Here's a link to several sites:

alicia keys - Google News

Old 04-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Thank you, read this and don't have much to say, people will all have their theories, but that is what they are- theories. At least she is not being a racists like Lauryn Hill.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:43 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just read that recording artist Alicia Keys stated that gansta rap was created by whites to convince the blacks to kill each other. Are some in the black race really this delusional? I've heard similar things said about AIDS; it was also created to wipe out the black race. This sort of thing is what keeps the race war going and going. If they really think that, we haven't got a prayer.
Just read the Alicia Keys thing on the 'net and it doesn't mention anything about Whites. Maybe that was the implication but it wasn't stated. Be that as it may, Alicia Keys does not speak for the Black race and her theories are her own. She also thinks that the east coast - west coast Tupac - Biggie feud was fueled by the media to keep a black leader down. Those are her thoughts but they are not representative of the Black community. I don't think most of us were viewing Tupac or Biggie as a leader of the community. This sounds more like thoughts that may be in the hip hop community which is a difference.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:50 PM

My thoughts exactly

Old 04-13-2008, 03:25 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
Just read the Alicia Keys thing on the 'net and it doesn't mention anything about Whites. Maybe that was the implication but it wasn't stated. Be that as it may, Alicia Keys does not speak for the Black race and her theories are her own. She also thinks that the east coast - west coast Tupac - Biggie feud was fueled by the media to keep a black leader down. Those are her thoughts but they are not representative of the Black community. I don't think most of us were viewing Tupac or Biggie as a leader of the community. This sounds more like thoughts that may be in the hip hop community which is a difference.

That seems to be so common, that whenever someone says something it means that we all said it or think it. It doesn't seem to happen the other way around though. I have never heard anyone on these boards say " oh,
"Insert random famous person's name here" said X so it must be what the white race thinks"

That sort of thinking is narrowminded to say the least.

I also agree with this too...that it's her OPINION. I don't believe what she says but she certainly doesn't speak for me, only for herself.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:41 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
Not all white people by any means would think some silly little singer speaks for all black americans. Actors, musicians and athletes are not the people americans should be listening to, we need to get rid of the celebrity obsession.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:43 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
Not all white people by any means would think some silly little singer speaks for all black americans. Actors, musicians and athletes are not the people americans should be listening to, we need to get rid of the celebrity obsession.
I'm sure that they don't. I think there are people who post here that think that, but I'm sure they are not representative of a group as a whole.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:56 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
"Anyway, complain all you want, I have no pity for the blacks at this point in time. I remember about 20 years ago while working at a Japanese restaurant, the Japanese people there had no sympathy for blacks. All they knew was that they got to where they were from working long hours and saving their money. From their perspective, they didn't observe the poor blacks in their neighborhood working as hard as they were. You don't see Japanese people just hanging out on stoops listening to their boomboxes. Yes, that is a terrible stereotype, but if that's what they saw the poor blacks in the city doing, then what else are they to think?"

There lies some of the problem though. Just because people don't see it with their own 2 eyes shouldn't mean that all blacks are this way, but it's what seems to happen all of the time. Again, one person shouldn't be a representation of a whole group. If that's what perpetuates the stereotype then it's wrong.

From your posts, do you think that I think all Chinese people thing just like you do? NO! You've said earlier that all of the Chinese people that you know think similarly to you do, but thats still not enough for me to think that is enough to stereotype your and the statements that the people you know are representative of all Chinese people.

Both sides have to continue to be open minded and not be sheep to the images portrayed by the media, and take a bigger view of how things are instead of what just goes on in their little world.
Please...don't tell us about the Japanese and Chinese in this country, neither of these groups suffered or had to bare the brunt of cruelty which blacks suffered and continue to suffer. The Japanese, just like other Asian Groups and Europeans basically came to this country with the red carpet rolled out, and opportunities to better themself from day one. On the other hand, Blacks came to this country in chains and suffered with their blood, sweat and tears. The slight mention of Japanese, Chinese or ANY other group of people, with the possible exception of the American Indian, is a insult to the entire black race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies