Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
God give me the serenity to accept that which I can not change
Courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Slavery happened. It was a horror. We can not change that. It is history.
If you are black you can not change that. (Nor should you want to.)
These are facts. Facts that you can not change....even if you spend the rest of your life dwelling on them, these facts will not change. So now find the courage to change the things you can. There are many, many, many successful black people all over the world. Somehow they have found that courage and have made life better for themselves and others. You can either let the chains of your excuses tie you to the ground or you can let go of them and fly to your future. You can not do both.
But the topic of this thread (at least I thought was the OP's intention) was to talk about the ridiculous assertions of racist whites or whites indifferent to the continuing residual effects of slavery, the mechanisms/mindset that created it, and continuing attitudes that perpetuate racism. Isn't a discussion about the behavior of racist whites an attempt to "change the things you can"? Fighting against racism as it exists today is "flying to the future." I welcome the discussion because I know that I am on the side that has the superior position. Blacks, or any minority facing discrimination, are morally and ethically obligated to fight. After all, we're all human beings and should be treated equally.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:37 PM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
Here's what gets me. Blacks talk about slavery like the whites were the folks who invented it. Slavery existed among African tribes far earlier than the Europeans arriving on African shores. But no one seems to talk about that. Is it because there is nothing to gain from it?

Old 04-14-2008, 05:37 PM

I might add here that if you are NOT black, you should be reading and LEARNING about the experiences of those here who are black and do experience racism AS ONLY BLACK PEOPLE CAN. What makes any non-black person think they can tell a black person how to think? How can any non-black person tell a black person how to deal with racism? How can any non-black person possibly understand what it feels like to be fighting prejudice as only black people experience? This is insulting to the dignity and intelligence of these noble people. It is also incredibly condescending.

What makes any racist person think that their viewpoint here has any merit? Racist people will always hold the inferior position and always be on the wrong side of any discussion concerning race, equality, and human rights.

Either learn from the experiences of black people so you can do something to make this country a better place, or continue to be ignorant and part of the problem.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Well, it really isn't about YOU, is it miu? You're a chinese woman who has the privilege of being able to take the position that you take because you aren't black in this country. You do not face prejudice to the extent that the typical black person faces everyday, so it is easy for you to say "get over the bitterness." Your race is not directly affected by the effects of slavery. Segregation still exists. How many blacks do you live around? When was the last time you ate lunch with a black person? How many black people buy food at the same place you do? When was the last time (if ever) that you shared a meal with a black person in your home? Subordination still exists too. How many black people are CEOs of major corporations and partners in top law firms? Certainly there exists an abundance of highly-qualified blacks to assume these roles, but they are being prevented from doing so, not because they lack the ability or talent, but because subordination remains. How many blacks can say that despite being qualfied, they are denied opportunities or promotions or excluded from decision-making or given lower raises than others. It's not as bad as it used to be. I mean we're on the verge of electing the first black (mixed) man as the president, but subordination remains.

I do understand your point to some extent, miu. I'm not assuming that you are a racist. But if you are going to take the position that blacks should behave a certain way without knowing a thing about blacks, AT LEAST YOU CAN DO IS ACKNOWLEDGE THE EXTENT OF THE PROBLEMS THAT BLACKS FACE AS THEY EXIST TODAY, and understand how slavery and its effects have manifested themselves in the lives and status of blacks and whites in this country today.

I might add that you are not white, and your race also faces its share of discrimination, but not to the extent that black people face in this country. I live near San Francisco, a place with an incredibly large chinese and asian population. I'm orginally from Chicago and didn't know much about asians. The only asians I had previously had any contact with were when I played violin in the city orchestra. When I first moved to CA and lived in an apartment complex, my wife and I went to the complex swimming pool. When we arrived, there was an asian woman and her son there. The boy was in the water playing and his mother was sitting on the edge of the pool. She watched us intently as we prepared to get in the pool. My wife jumped in first. She's Italian. No reaction from the asian woman who continued to fix her eyes on me. As soon as I jumped in, she got up and grabbed her son, and rushed him away. I could've taken the position that asians were that ignorant. But I didn't. My natural inclination was to say that this particular woman was very ignorant and ill-informed. I concluded that she wasn't very educated, certainly not someone whose traits I would attribute to the entire asian race. I urge you to do the same. Because if you do attribute the most negative qualities of a few blacks to the race as a whole, then you are racist. I can recognize whether you are or not just be your response to this message and your comments on this topic in general. So can others, just read the responses to you.

Finally, you are not black. So what basis can you tell black people how to behave since you experience life as a chinese woman? I mean, get real here. How do you know that any bitterness, resentment, anger, intense dislike, suspicion, and so forth is not justified? You don't because you don't know the extent of the experiences for every individual black person. The most that you can do (because you're not black) is try to understand the reasons for such feelings, rather than assuming that they are not justified. And God's sake, quit generalizing.
This is all very interesting, but leaves as many questions as it answers. While admonishing OTHERS not to judge, or speak for, blacks, because they "aren't black" and their opinions mean nothing, because their ancestors weren't slaves, YOU seem to be judging THEM. You (who I would guess, don't know "all blacks" EITHER), seem to be ready to judge all NON-blacks, and it seems the only POSITIVE thing they have going for them, in YOUR opinion, is that, though they aren't black, at LEAST they aren't white.

YOUR position, to me. seems every bit as narrowly judgmental as MIU's, or anyone else's....your opinions and prejudices are there, they just have a different 'focus' than those of others. Nobody, neither you nor me nor "miu", nor anyone ELSE, can speak for "all members"...or even MOST members..of ANY group.

As to why more non-blacks don't have dinner with blacks, I couldn't begin to guess. Perhaps they're racists...or perhaps they're nice people, and don't KNOW any blacks...or perhaps blacks just don't WANT to eat dinner with them...ANY of these things are possible.

I am the god-father of ONE black (she's now about 25). Her parents USED to eat dinner with me (white) and my wife (Indian). We no longer eat together, because the family moved away to Florida..and we're in California, and that's too far to go for dinner. But there are probably a LOT of reasons for the 'lack of dinner parties' you mention.

SOME blacks (not all), have some pretty serious problems. Some are due to racism, and some are due to their own poor choices and failure to 'do what's right'. I suppose there are as many reasons why black people who DON'T do well, find themselves in that condition, as there are individuals IN that condition...just like any OTHER race. Black people can "look" for racists who dislike them, and they will always find them, because they're out there. They can ALSO look for opportunity..it's out there, too, and minorities can sometimes qualify for "extra" help, if need be. It's out there.

If you don't want the opinions or input from anyone who isn't black, that of course, is your choice. But if that's how it is, then please don't "judge" others. either..because if they aren't "you", then it's just as true that you aren't "them". This being the case, how, then, can you comment on the problems of other races, or presume to read their motives, or know why they act as they do?...

Just an honest question.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Here's what gets me. Blacks talk about slavery like the whites were the folks who invented it. Slavery existed among African tribes far earlier than the Europeans arriving on African shores. But no one seems to talk about that. Is it because there is nothing to gain from it?
Well, America considers itself more socially advanced than any other nation or places like Rwanda or Sri Lanka, which means it sets a higher standard for human life and racial harmony. This country has prided itself on emphasizing equal treatment and social mobility. This means that this country has a greater obligation to achieve racial harmony. The fact that it continues to fail in this regard makes it deserving of such scrutiny by the people who are continually experiencing lack of tolerance from white Americans or others.

Yes, it gets me too. I expect better from this country.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM

408 posts, read 696,095 times
Quote:
NO- The OP was about racism and slavery in this country. There were quite a few countries that have had slaves, and some that still do, but that was not the topic at hand.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
And another thing. . .blacks are still captured and sold as slaves today. It's happening in Sudan. . .and you know who's enslaving them? The Moslems. They've enslaved more black Africans than the whites ever thought of. In fact, it was the British who attempted to derail the Arab slave business many years ago.

But do we hear anyone talking about that here? Nooooo.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
NO- The OP was about racism and slavery in this country. There were quite a few countries that have had slaves, and some that still do, but that was not the topic at hand.
OK, so why is it that we still have to talk about it? I'm pretty sure it ended a long, long time ago. I'm not sure what good it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
Seems to me that the reason that the black community suffers from proverty, lack of self esteem, and other ills is because of the past. The discrimination of the past has lead to the endless cycle of dispair and proverty. Why are whites so scared or uncomfortable when it comes to talking about race?
That sounds like an excuse to me. There are plenty of blacks in this country who have put the past behind them and gone on to lead rich, rewarding lives. Then there are those who don't have stable households, don't value education, don't have careers (not to be confused with a job), are always broke and are looking for someone to blame for their situation. Which are you?

Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
And another thing. . .blacks are still captured and sold as slaves today. It's happening in Sudan. . .and you know who's enslaving them? The Moslems. They've enslaved more black Africans than the whites ever thought of. In fact, it was the British who attempted to derail the Arab slave business many years ago.

But do we hear anyone talking about that here? Nooooo.
I think the thread was about Blacks in America not in Africa, that may be why it is not being talked about because it has no relavence to this thread.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:54 PM

408 posts, read 696,095 times
Quote:
OK, so why is it that we still have to talk about it? I'm pretty sure it ended a long, long time ago. I'm not sure what good it does.
You've got me on that. I have been trying to express on several threads that pertain to this that it is not about getting over slavery, but the after effects that it had on the black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies