Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:55 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
Chinese women and children. Used as easily replaceable "throw-away" prostitutes.
That still happens today!

No person or group of people have a lock on pain, we all have to struggle to varying degrees, even white men "the privileged people" feel pain at being blamed for every hardship of women and non whites.

I refuse to cry victim because I am a female and many men feel I have been given breaks and special treatment to achieve my successes in life, or that I don't deserve what I have earned. I am not a victim! I can take whatever is thrown at me and succeed and respected black people have also done that. If you fight through personal success you win, if you wallow in victimhood you lose.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:00 AM

208 posts, read 412,071 times
I think a lot of people have an INCORRECT PERSPECTIVE ON SLAVERY.

First some black tribes sell captured blacks to people from the New World on ships. Then these people arrive in the New World. Let's focus on America. So here we have slaves, for which you must pay some serious cash for. Keep in mind that only about 1% of Americans even had slaves.

Now I ask you, if you paid serious cash for someone to help your grow your crops are you really going to treat that person like cra#p? Heck no!

It appears to me that everybody envisions slavery (because of Roots) as a bunch of people being dragged through the mud endlessly whipped. How much of that really was based on reality and how much was to "dramatize/tear jerk" the audience?

Really, you're going to pay some serious cash, with your crops (food) at risk of going bad and treat your help like dogs? I don't think so.

You can bet the vast majority of slaves were well fed and had free medical care!

You can also bet that many slaves who got to work in those rich homes enjoyed the advantages that came with that too. Would you really treat your black nanny like "cra#" if she's cooking for you and taking care of your kids? Absolutely not.

Actually, many slaves probably had a far better existence than the average white person back then. The slaves were fed. They had work, they didn't really risk unemployment. The average white person, if they were starving had no one to help. If they lost their job they had to travel like nomads from town to town begging for work.

Those pioneer women probably would have loved to have worked in those beautiful rich mansions too. But ... slave women who were loved, well fed and cared for got the job and really didn't have to worry about unemployment.

What about health care?

The average slave got free medical care! You pay serious dough for help, and your livelihood depends on his health - don't you think you're going to call doc to see if your help can get better?

Look at the average pioneer white person. If they got sick, then tough luck, they're going to die and many did because they couldn't afford medical care.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Sure, slavery should have never happened and sure there were some terrible slave owners who deserved to be shot. If I could push an "EASY BUTTON" to make it never have happened, I'd push it now! But 600,000 white souls paid the price for slavery. England used military power to stop the slave trade. Where's the thanks?

People forget their history or maybe they don't teach it in school nowadays but the vast majority of early Europeans coming over were essentially slaves too! It's American history 101. Look at the Irish, many of them as soon as they were off the ship were pressured into being canon fodder. No thanks, I'd rather pick crops and have long term employment then fight in somebody else's war then come home without a leg and be crippled for the rest of your life without any decent work.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Of all the groups you just mentioned, which were brought to America as slaves?
So what? What about all the groups that came over and were abused and used as menial labor?

Why is this some bizarre contest over what minority was abused the most? And of the blacks, asians and hispanics, basically none of visually can ever pass for a white, not even a white person with a tan. So blacks shouldn't be the only race that thinks that they will never completely blend in a white group of people.

The Japanese occupied China in WWII and did atrocious acts to the resident Chinese people including raping their women, forcing the women to be their sex slaves and bayoneting babies. This event is commonly known as The Rape of Nanking by the Chinese. But I've met and had Japanese people as friends in the meantime, and never once did I or anyone in my family feel anger or bitterness towards these friends, nor did we think we were owed an apology by them. It's the past and a different time.

Then look up Chinese immigration to the US.

Immigration: The Chinese

Quote:
Approximately 1/3 of the of the men attracted by California gold were Southern whites. Along with desires of wealth, many Southerns brought along hostile racial attitudes from the antebellum South. In the years that followed, those virulent temperaments were felt through laws and attitudes, and Blacks as well as Chinese suffered throughout the mid-century. Miners in the area often used violence to drive the Chinese out of various mines. While impatient gold-seekers would abandon prospective rivers, the Chinese would remain, painstakingly panning through the dust to find bits of gold.

The Chinese did not only mine for gold, but took on jobs such as cooks, peddlers, and storekeepers. In the first decade after the discovery of gold, many had taken jobs nobody else wanted or that were considered too dirty. However, in 1870, hasty exploitation of gold mines and a lack of well-paying jobs for non-Asians spurred sentiment that the "rice-eaters" were to blame. By 1880, a fifth were engaged mining, another fifth in agriculture, a seventh in manufacturing, an added seventh were domestic servants, and a tenth were laundry workers. Approximately 30,000 Chinese worked outside of California in such trades as mining, common labor, and service trades. During the 1860's, 10,000 Chinese were said to be involved in the building of the western leg of the Central Pacific Railroad. The average railroad payroll for the Chinese was $35 per month. The cost of food was approximately $15 to $18 per month, plus the railroad provided shelter for workers. Therefore, a fugal man could net about $20 every month. Despite the nice pay, the work was backbreaking and highly dangerous. Over a thousand Chinese had their bones shipped back to China to be buried. Also, although nine-tenths of the railroad workers were Chinese, the famous photographs taken at Promontory Point where the golden stake was driven in connecting the east and west by railway, included no Chinese workers.

As time passed, the resentment against the Chinese increased from those who could not compete with them. Acts of violence against the Chinese continued for decades, mostly from white urban and agricultural workers. In 1862 alone, eighty-eight Chinese were reported murdered. Though large landowners that hired Chinese, railroads and other large white-owned businesses, and Chinese workers themselves pushed against a growing anti-Chinese legislation, the forces opposing the Chinese prevailed, issuing laws that excluded or harassed them from industry after industry. Mob violence steadily increased against the Chinese until even employers were at risk. Eventually, laws such the Naturalization Act of 1870 and the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 restricted immigration of Chinese immigrants into the U.S.

In addition, don't generalize and lump all white people together. You can see from this quote that the Southern whites in the 1860's were the problem in terms of acts against blacks and Chinese... and probably any other race they could bully. And that in California, the blacks and the Chinese were on equal footing at the very bottom of the racial pecking order.

And despite crap like that, the Chinese have moved on. And what's the difference between being a slave and having food and shelter provided to you and working crap jobs and getting paid pittance? And in both cases being disrespected as human beings and not equal to whitey?

Plus ask any psychologist or therapist, keeping these resentments, bitterness and anger is not healthy mentally. And it eventually will hurt your physical health. And that's another good reason to move on from the past. Changing the past is out of our control, so why waste the effort keeping the memories alive?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palpatein View Post
I think a lot of people have an INCORRECT PERSPECTIVE ON SLAVERY.

First some black tribes sell captured blacks to people from the New World on ships. Then these people arrive in the New World. Let's focus on America. So here we have slaves, for which you must pay some serious cash for. Keep in mind that only about 1% of Americans even had slaves.

Now I ask you, if you paid serious cash for someone to help your grow your crops are you really going to treat that person like cra#p? Heck no!

It appears to me that everybody envisions slavery (because of Roots) as a bunch of people being dragged through the mud endlessly whipped. How much of that really was based on reality and how much was to "dramatize/tear jerk" the audience?

Really, you're going to pay some serious cash, with your crops (food) at risk of going bad and treat your help like dogs? I don't think so.

You can bet the vast majority of slaves were well fed and had free medical care!

You can also bet that many slaves who got to work in those rich homes enjoyed the advantages that came with that too. Would you really treat your black nanny like "cra#" if she's cooking for you and taking care of your kids? Absolutely not.

Actually, many slaves probably had a far better existence than the average white person back then. The slaves were fed. They had work, they didn't really risk unemployment. The average white person, if they were starving had no one to help. If they lost their job they had to travel like nomads from town to town begging for work.

Those pioneer women probably would have loved to have worked in those beautiful rich mansions too. But ... slave women who were loved, well fed and cared for got the job and really didn't have to worry about unemployment.

What about health care?

The average slave got free medical care! You pay serious dough for help, and your livelihood depends on his health - don't you think you're going to call doc to see if your help can get better?

Look at the average pioneer white person. If they got sick, then tough luck, they're going to die and many did because they couldn't afford medical care.

Sure, slavery should have never happened and sure there were some terrible slave owners who deserved to be shot. If I could push an "EASY BUTTON" to make it never have happened, I'd push it now! But 600,000 white souls paid the price for slavery. England used military power to stop the slave trade. Where's the thanks?

People forget their history or maybe they don't teach it in school nowadays but the vast majority of early Europeans coming over were essentially slaves too! It's American history 101. Look at the Irish, many of them as soon as they were off the ship were pressured into being canon fodder. No thanks, I'd rather pick crops and have long term employment then fight in somebody else's war then come home without a leg and be crippled for the rest of your life without any decent work.
Was this quote written to release your anger about slavery. Roots was very factual with maybe a few sensational events, but very factual. Roots was not my history lesson, it just verified the history that had been written by both black and white men. School, personal accounts, library books, and the library in my home was my schooling regarding slavery.

Your own thoughts of anything regarding black slaves is twisted and full of information that is extremely inaccurate. You surely did not do your history lessons about slaves, or you would not have been able to record this bunch of slander. OH YE PEOPLE OF LITTLE MINDS!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Maybe they (whites) are just tired of all the peeing and moaning and are finding it hard enough to take care of themselves without haveing to hand everyone else their money......

Old 04-12-2008, 10:19 AM

108 posts, read 351,014 times
maybe b/c it seems that some African Americans seem to hold fast to the idea that the slave trade, perpetuated by African tribesmen who would kidnap members of other tribes to sell to the Europeans, is the reason for where they are today. The slave trade got them here, but it doesn't keep them here if they felt that they would be better off elsewhere. That is not to say, "if you don't like it, there's the door" but how many AA in this country personally bear the physical and mental scars of slavery, yet continue to blame slavery for their lot in life?

The Irish were treated horribly, as were many others groups that came/come to this country as mentioned in previous posts. But the difference, as I see it, is that these other groups remember the past but have chosen not to let it define them.

It seems that the some within the AA community have chosen to let their history of slavery define them as humans, and many have done little to alter their trajectory in regards to slavery.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:21 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKwame View Post
Chinese women and children. Used as easily replaceable "throw-away" prostitutes.
Sexual slavery is a despicable practice. Unfortunately, it still exists today, probably even in places within the US.

But it's not a government sanctioned practice that was openly accepted in society like slavery in the 1700s to mid 1800s was. Many immigrant groups suffered discrimination when they arrived in America. But only the Africans were slaves, with no control over their own destiny or even their own families. The experiences were not comparable.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:28 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
I'm "white" and I would most certainly tell any "black" person of my generation to move on with the future.

Comparing slavery/Jim Crow laws/etc to the Holocaust is most definitely offensive in my eyes. The Holocaust was an intentional genocide (murder for those who don't understand the word) of millions of Jews, gypsies, gays, etc. That's quite a bit different than what happened in America.

We should learn about the past, because it is important. Atrocities happened. We should learn from our transgressions and move on.

I'm Jewish and I don't hate the people currently living in Germany for what happened. I don't blame current Germany for the events of the Holocaust. The only people that would have my animosity are the people who committed the murders and ran the camps. I won't blame the children or grandchildren of an SS-member for what happened, well, unless they were also a part of it.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 AM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
Why Do Whites insists that Blacks just "get over it" and move on. Or "let forget about it and treat everyone equal" ? Why do I see so many posts from whites that want blacks to forget their past. To forget slavery, discrimination. Civil Rights era. I hear...get over it! Let's just move on and treat everyone the same. Like it's that simple. Does talking about race make whites uncomfortable. Should we ask the Jews to forget the Holocaust too? Seems to me that the reason that the black community suffers from proverty, lack of self esteem, and other ills is because of the past. The discrimination of the past has lead to the endless cycle of dispair and proverty. Why are whites so scared or uncomfortable when it comes to talking about race?
I don't think that any group should forget their past and the forces that have influenced them. White Americans don't forget their history and this is all that I learned in schools growing up as a black child in the US. Blacks and anyone who who reflects on the horrors of the slave trade can also reflect on and embrace the positive elements like the fact that we as a people are survivors and the fruit of what our ancestors prayed for. This was depicted in the documentary that I watched last night. We as a people have suffered but we can embrace our beauty and strength and rise above those forces that have tried to hold us back. It was so sad to watch the doll study which continues to show that black children seem to consistently choose the white doll over the black doll as being prettier, smarter, nicer, good, ect. What ever has happened is still having a negative effect. I also think about the plight of the Native Americans in this country. This country was founded on the desire for freedom but look at the freedom that was taken away from the original inhabitants. God bless.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:34 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Maybe they (whites) are just tired of all the peeing and moaning and are finding it hard enough to take care of themselves without haveing to hand everyone else their money......
Personally I do not hear black people talking about how you are keeping them down. Some of you sound delirious, and must need attention from someone in your life. The caliber of people I speak with and have relationships with are concentrated on their own goals and just ensuring that they continue to survive here in America. Then again I do not have family members or friends who have low incomes. All of my family members and friends have middle to upper class incomes, most are educated, work everyday, have houses, and seem to be doing pretty good here in the good ole US of A.

I am a public servant to many low income people, but I look for the positive attributes that they have, empower them to do better and believe and have enough faith and hope that they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies