Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:12 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The pastor who did Dylan Klebold's funeral got fired by the church council. His replacement is now my pastor. She said that was a very divided church at the time.
I didn't realize that he lost his job. According to the below article, it was due to a number of factors. That pastor would be 80 now (this article is from 2009).

Marxhausen might have survived the Columbine tragedy with his job intact were it not for his continued relationship with the Klebolds—and his very public support of them. After Dylan's funeral, he described the killer's parents as "the loneliest people on the planet" to The Denver Post. "That's where I think I started getting in trouble with my church," says Marxhausen. "I was becoming somewhat toxic with my visibility and extrovertedness."

https://www.newsweek.com/two-pastors...olumbine-77389
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 10:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I didn't realize that he lost his job. According to the below article, it was due to a number of factors. That pastor would be 80 now (this article is from 2009).

Marxhausen might have survived the Columbine tragedy with his job intact were it not for his continued relationship with the Klebolds—and his very public support of them. After Dylan's funeral, he described the killer's parents as "the loneliest people on the planet" to The Denver Post. "That's where I think I started getting in trouble with my church," says Marxhausen. "I was becoming somewhat toxic with my visibility and extrovertedness."

https://www.newsweek.com/two-pastors...olumbine-77389
Well, maybe. "Of all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, "it might have been".
https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/j...hittier_385048

Old 04-20-2019, 09:08 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive always thought it interesting and strange, that the Columbine shooting, is the ONLY school shooting that has never been alleged to be a false flag/conspiracy (by anyone as far as Ive seen).

I think this may be due to, when this happened, media was quick to release surv footage of the attack taking place, so it was very clear what was going on that day, it was truly 2 'lone wolves', I dont know of any other school shooting, where surv footage of the actual incident happening, were shown to the public.
Maybe people were less skeptical of the media and authority then? Unlike later shootings, Columbine benefitted schools seeking to restrict their students, politicians seeking to censor the media, and the religious right (which claimed that Harris and Klebold were athiests and that electing Bush 43 would put the fear of God into the youth). Permissive parents ceased to exist and goths were persecuted.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Columbine benefitted schools seeking to restrict their students, politicians seeking to censor the media, and the religious right.... Permissive parents ceased to exist and goths were persecuted.
Huh?

Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 AM

On 20th Anniversary of Columbine, Deaths Still Haunt Principal: 'They Will Always Be My Kids' :

https://people.com/crime/on-20th-ann...ys-be-my-kids/

Old 04-21-2019, 08:34 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Ive always thought it interesting and strange, that the Columbine shooting, is the ONLY school shooting that has never been alleged to be a false flag/conspiracy (by anyone as far as Ive seen).

I think this may be due to, when this happened, media was quick to release surv footage of the attack taking place, so it was very clear what was going on that day, it was truly 2 'lone wolves', I dont know of any other school shooting, where surv footage of the actual incident happening, were shown to the public.
There was just no way that this was a hoax, false flag, or whatever because of all the footage, both during the time it was an active event and then afterward in "Bowling for Coiumbine" --- plus all the released 911 calls. I hated seeing the footage, but the proof of the massacre was right there for anyone to see. Finally, there were so many people (students and families of the victims) that spoke up on camera. (Tom Mauser, father of Daniel Mauser, became an outspoken advocate for more gun control, whereas those affected by most other mass shootings have remained relatively silent, with one notable exception being Parkland.)

I think that the main reason that the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory got started and grew was because immediate at-the-scene coverage was very scarce. Although with Columbine, there were many rumors early on that there was a "Trench Coat Mafia" operating with at least one other person involved, that was disproved within a relatively short time. Finally, there was also very little coverage of the Sandy Hook funerals, whereas it seemed that the coverage of the Columbine funerals continued for days after the massacre, and there were at least two massive memorial services, one at Red Rocks and one in which Al Gore attended. (And, yes, I do agree that grieving families are entitled to their privacy!)

Btw, I am lucky that the closest relationship I had to any of the victims was that one of them was the friend of the son of one of my neighbors, so although I was not really personally affected by the shooting any more than most of the people in the Columbine community, it still affected me a great deal, and if anyone ever says to me that "Columbine didn't happen", I would think that she or he was extremely misguided, to say the least.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
There was just no way that this was a hoax, false flag, or whatever because of all the footage, both during the time it was an active event and then afterward in "Bowling for Coiumbine" --- plus all the released 911 calls. I hated seeing the footage, but the proof of the massacre was right there for anyone to see. Finally, there were so many people (students and families of the victims) that spoke up on camera. (Tom Mauser, father of Daniel Mauser, became an outspoken advocate for more gun control, whereas those affected by most other mass shootings have remained relatively silent, with one notable exception being Parkland.)

I think that the main reason that the Sandy Hook conspiracy theory got started and grew was because immediate at-the-scene coverage was very scarce. Although with Columbine, there were many rumors early on that there was a "Trench Coat Mafia" operating with at least one other person involved, that was disproved within a relatively short time. Finally, there was also very little coverage of the Sandy Hook funerals, whereas it seemed that the coverage of the Columbine funerals continued for days after the massacre, and there were at least two massive memorial services, one at Red Rocks and one in which Al Gore attended. (And, yes, I do agree that grieving families are entitled to their privacy!)

Btw, I am lucky that the closest relationship I had to any of the victims was that one of them was the friend of the son of one of my neighbors, so although I was not really personally affected by the shooting any more than most of the people in the Columbine community, it still affected me a great deal, and if anyone ever says to me that "Columbine didn't happen", I would think that she or he was extremely misguided, to say the least.
Yes, Its suspicious that they were willing to show surv footage in the Columbine shooting, but not sandy hook.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
I want to focus on how Columbine changed society and the way we look at violence, especially youth violence, for I think this is the best way to honor the memories of the people killed at that school on that day.

To my memory, Columbine coverage was one of the first major cracks in the traditional media's monopoly over news and information. The internet just broke into the mainstream a few years before that.

The traditional media at first continued the 80s and 90s school violence narrative - guns, gangs, and drugs, especially in predominately minority inner cities. Even what shootings by whites were reported nationally were restricted to rural areas and smaller cities (Luke Woodham's 1997 shooting in Pearl, MS was the first such story in the trad-media reported repeatedly nationwide). However, Columbine was not a "majority minority" area, nor was it a backwater - it was in a prosperous suburb of a well-respected large city. That's when the consciousness shifted.

It also influenced how the media later reported on school shootings in general (again, due to Columbine being in a well-respected major city's prosperous suburbs). When the media seemed to focus on it as a gun control and a behavioral aberration issue (misfits, goths, etc), they totally ignored the bullying issue for the first few days, or maybe two weeks. But with the internet now widespread, a lot of high school students posting stories about bullying by all-American ideals types (not just "jocks"), especially on Slashdot.org - Voices From the Hellmouth. Tech writer Jon Katz also wrote a provocative article about it as well. This was the first time (that I'm aware of) that cyberspace began to influence how the media reported news. The internet took the monopoly power away from traditional news by enabling the average person to let their views be know. Eventually, "Hellmouth", Katz, etc. became so widespread that the trad-media couldn't ignore that school bullying and the school's socio-cultural climate may have contributed to the shooting.

Back in those days and before, bullying wasn't even on the radar in the eyes of the public, only a few obscure experts. Even the media explicitly saying the shooters specifically targeted athletes was a novel admission back in 1999. That still does not change the fact that two boys, 17 and 18, did have a choice - they chose to murder their classmates instead of, say, handcuffing themselves to the door to protest bullying and mistreatment of "freaks" and such. In doing so, they inspired copycat shootings instead of copycat civil disobedience to challenge bullying. Instead of inspiring students, school administrators, and parents to think about how they sized up other people's worth, they inspired a climate of fear among students that lasts even to this day. Harris and Klebold took the easy way out and in doing needlessly inspired fear among students, parents, and the wider community.

If any kid out there wants to change minds in a way that attracts media attention, sorry it is to say but they have to take the hard way out: handcuffing themselves to the school entrance, stand outside classrooms they refuse to attend, publically refuse to attend school, and these days use social media. The vast majority of civil rights marchers did this, and slowly made change come about. In doing so, in the long, run, improved race relations has been a less agonizing, if slower, process than shedding blood would have.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
When the media seemed to focus on it as a gun control and a behavioral aberration issue (misfits, goths, etc), they totally ignored the bullying issue for the first few days, or maybe two weeks. But with the internet now widespread, a lot of high school students posting stories about bullying by all-American ideals types (not just "jocks")....

Back in those days and before, bullying wasn't even on the radar in the eyes of the public, only a few obscure experts. Even the media explicitly saying the shooters specifically targeted athletes was a novel admission back in 1999.
Harris and Klebold were not bullied. That was another media myth. And they didn't target specific students.

See: Debunking the myths of Columbine, 10 years later - CNN.com
(Also on thread linked on post #4.)

Old 04-21-2019, 12:44 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Yes, Its suspicious that they were willing to show surv footage in the Columbine shooting, but not sandy hook.
Jesus H. Christ! Stop with the asinine conspiracy ish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies