Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
How are they going to take my food? Break into my house and steal what they want? There are laws against that.

I've heard that type of argument from liberals before: that if you don't give people stuff, they will just take what they want. How then did both my parents grow up in poverty, never take "relief," and yet still manage to eat without turning to crime?
My bad..you're right when people are starving they will just sit down quietly and die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:49 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Gee, I'm sure the recipients are thanking Trump for this gift.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:49 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Do you advocate the complete elimination of ALL welfare handouts?
Maybe if you would stop with your liberal, leftist nonsense I would address you seriously. But I know you're just egging me on.

You've got to learn that there are DEGREES in life. It doesn't mean all-or-nothing is the way to be, as you think. Would you, for example, let a toddler found wandering homeless in the street just fend for himself? Or is it every man, woman, child, and toddler for himself in your world?

Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My bad..you're right when people are starving they will just sit down quietly and die.
Why must liberals always resort to dramatics? Nobody is starving in this country. We give out food stamps.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Trump's food boxes, what a wonderful idea

Too bad if the recipient is diabetic gluten intolerant or has a peanut allergy, this will work because poor people will realize that they don't deserve to be treated like "real people"
There could have been adjustments made to the original plan, of course. Perhaps an appopriate package and a voucher for a certain amount for fresh food from a store.

Again, Michelle Obama was dictating food choices at schools and that was supported by the left.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
There will always be handouts because Americans can’t handle the alternative. Americans get upset if they even see a homeless person or someone “who doesn’t fit” in their hoods. Hate the pan handler, hate the begger, want the goverment to clean it up, which often means police who will always ask for goverment handout assistance as it is not criminal to be broke. And not a police matter.

You can’t both hate the begger or pan handler AND hate the policies that keep people from having to beg or pan handle. Personally I don’t mind pan handlers and beggars, they show initiative. But I guarantee I’m in the minority.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Theoretically, yes. The reality, however, is that liquor stores in areas with a high percentage of Food Stamp recipients also sell "snacks." You know... chips, beef jerky, etc. They ring up the booze as "food," and are paid with Food Stamps money on someone's EBT card.
Wrong. There are specific requirements about the amount of 'staple foods' that stores must carry in order to accept EBT. If an individual store rings up alcohol as food they are breaking the law and at some point will probably get caught in a USDA sting operation and go to jail.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/my-store-eligible

Old 04-19-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There could have been adjustments made to the original plan, of course. Perhaps an appopriate package and a voucher for a certain amount for fresh food from a store.

Again, Michelle Obama was dictating food choices at schools and that was supported by the left.
Michelle Obama wanted to see more fruits and vegetables served in schools (imagine the horror of that) and she wanted flavored milk beverages banned. That's common sense and impacts ALL children eating school lunches not just the poor. As I said before, if it's a good idea to ban sodas and sugary foods, let's ban them for everyone.

The "appropriate package", geezus..so now to get this food package SNAP recipients would have to get a letter from their doctor listing food allergies and specific food limits and requirements and then 'somehow' the federal government is going to be able to put together these hundreds of thousands of individualized food packages and deliver them all over the US, even to the most rural areas where there is no postal delivery to individual addresses.

What a swell idea and the end result will be to finally make SNAP recipients realize that they aren't like the rest of us and never will be, you should be proud

Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 AM

If have a question for 2sleepy:

Why are you attacking me as "hating the poor" because I think food stamp usage should be restricted to healthy foods (and I gave a wide list, including meat, seafood, chicken, dairy, eggs, vegetables, fruit, etc.) and NOT to Rebold (or whatever his name is) who is saying no food should be provided to anyone, ever, anytime?

Seems like you are attacking the person with the moderate view and giving a pass to the person who wants to see all forms of welfare eliminated. He sounds like Scrooge with his "hey, less food.....fewer poor people" remark. Next thing you know, he'll put forth a Modest Proposal.

So think about that. Why such hostility to the one who still supports some government assistance, but with more restrictions, and not to the one who doesn't think govt should give a penny to those in need? Hmmmmm?

Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
There will always be handouts because Americans can’t handle the alternative. Americans get upset if they even see a homeless person or someone “who doesn’t fit” in their hoods. Hate the pan handler, hate the begger, want the goverment to clean it up, which often means police who will always ask for goverment handout assistance as it is not criminal to be broke. And not a police matter.

You can’t both hate the begger or pan handler AND hate the policies that keep people from having to beg or pan handle. Personally I don’t mind pan handlers and beggars, they show initiative. But I guarantee I’m in the minority.
I agree with you. I've had this argument when people whine about the homeless occupying the sidewalks and panhandling. It doesn't bother me, but the people who are bothered by it need to understand that the only way to stop it is to give those people a place to live. The problem is that they don't like that solution either lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies