Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 07:43 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I'm sorry but if you are already getting something free that is paid for by the taxpayers, then you can at least make a little effort on your part to go get the groceries.

And before some posts about the old and disabled, I know those people already have organizations, and in many cities, the government to help with that. The rest of the abled bodied free loaders need to get off their behinds and go get the groceries themselves.
Excuse me...but if they want the groceries delivered they have to pay for the delivery. Would you like to exclude the poor from public transportation and taxis too? Because, you know...they are using "our money" to pay the fare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 07:45 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Perhaps you didn't read my earlier posts, but I already said that the delivery would be fine for three categories of people:

1) Those who would have to walk more than 1/2 mile (a 10-minute walk)
2) Over age 65
3) Physically disabled

And again.....it isn't $5 of their own money. That's coming out of their food stamp money that we provide. Money is fungible.
Quote:
F
Disgraceful.

And the people buying the baby formula with OUR money and then profiting off it will complain that we aren't giving them enough in the way of food stamps.

Maybe we should just go back to the old days of just handing out food to the needy. They could come by once a week and pick up their food boxes (one for perishables: meat, chicken, milk, etc.) and non-perishables (canned veggies, spaghetti, pasta sauce, bread, etc.). For the elderly and disabled, we would deliver.
+1.

Other than the above examples, If I am dependent on the govt to feed my family, I would gladly go and pick up a food box and be grateful for it.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:46 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
if they want the groceries delivered they have to pay for the delivery.

Amazon has free shipping if order is at least $25. Don't even have to be a prime member for this. Walmart online has free shipping if order is at least $35. This is for non perishable items.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Perhaps you didn't read my earlier posts, but I already said that the delivery would be fine for three categories of people:
1) Those who would have to walk more than 1/2 mile (a 10-minute walk)
2) Over age 65
3) Physically disabled
And again.....it isn't $5 of their own money. That's coming out of their food stamp money that we provide. Money is fungible.
Let's try this again. They have to pay for the grocery delivery under this program. Many of were already paying LYFT/UBER, taxis, and public buses to get back and forth to grocery stores - where was your outrage over that?

Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
F
Disgraceful.

And the people buying the baby formula with OUR money and then profiting off it will complain that we aren't giving them enough in the way of food stamps.

Maybe we should just go back to the old days of just handing out food to the needy. They could come by once a week and pick up their food boxes (one for perishables: meat, chicken, milk, etc.) and non-perishables (canned veggies, spaghetti, pasta sauce, bread, etc.). For the elderly and disabled, we would deliver.
There are a few problems with making food boxes.

1. Tax dollars would go toward paying people to make said boxes.
2. There are people with celiac disease and other health issues who cannot eat regular spaghetti, bread, etc., people with hypertension who can't eat salty foods like canned veggies and pasta sauce, people allergic to milk, people without cooking facilities to cook chicken, without storage facilities to store perishables, and so on.
3. Would pick-up places be as prevalent as convenience stores? That would be cost-prohibitive if so. If not, those without transportation might not be able to get to the pick-up places.

I think you live somewhere and in a situation where you have never had any exposure to how poor people live. You are basing your opinion on some WaPo article that might or might not exist and that you might or might not remember correctly even if it does exist (and that bears a very striking resemblance to an article from a satire site from 10 years ago...). Consider yourself fortunate to be in that position and that you are only paying a few cents out of each paycheck toward this program.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
There is something you can do.

You can collect signatures, and then demand Trump stop this program.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:00 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, you should do that, or vote for someone who would do that as opposed to Trump who is forcing you to spend your hard earned money to pay for delivery.

Don't forget the "hard earned" line!
Food Stamps pay for the groceries. The delivery fee is paid by the recipient. It can't be paid for with Food Stamps.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:04 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
More leftist nonsense.

There should be no government assistance. All assistance should be voluntarily funded, either through charities or donations.

You liberals always want to steal from people and give it to others without their consent.
Great idea. Then let's do away with taxes altogether. What will YOU drive on? Taxes pay for roads, bridges, and government employees too. It's not all about welfare. Taxes of all types is government assistance. No one would wold voluntarily pay them. Who will protect us in times of war and peace? It's not just your money. How selfish and shortsighted can you be? The extent of self centered thinking that some individuals, particularly conservatives have, never ceases to amaze me. I have no kids and am not always thrilled about paying thousands of dollars in property taxes per year to educate your and many other strangers' kids, but we are a community and a country, it's not just about me, myself, and I, and that's what I need to do for the benefit of all of us. Kids need to eat. I don't care how irresponsible the parent is. I'm not taking away a kid's food because I disagree with the parent's lifestyle. Are you seriously saying you would?

Old 04-20-2019, 08:06 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Excuse me...but if they want the groceries delivered they have to pay for the delivery. Would you like to exclude the poor from public transportation and taxis too? Because, you know...they are using "our money" to pay the fare
We already provide transportation subsidies to the poor, so your example of excluding them is absurd.

And taxis? If there is public transportation available, people on government assistance should not be taking taxis, except in the case of a medical emergency. And what's wrong with saying that? My grandparents were poor, and the first time my grandmother ever took a taxi was when she was 8 months pregnant and her water broke. The next time she took a taxi was about 30 years later, when she fell off the curb and broke her femur.

Even at 90, she walked six blocks to the bus stop, and took two buses (requires a transfer) to get to the shopping mall. Now, granted, she was unusual, but unless someone is disabled, there is no reason for a 45-year-old on government assistance to take a taxi when there are buses available.

Why all this insistence that people who live via government support should be able to buy $1000 TVs and take taxis all over? If you're poor, and living on welfare, well....there are sacrifices that need to be met, like going without luxury items.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:07 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Great idea. Then let's do away with taxes altogether. What will YOU drive on? Taxes pay for roads, bridges, and government employees too. It's not all about welfare. Taxes of all types is government assistance. No one would wold voluntarily pay them. Who will protect us in times of war and peace? It's not just your money. How selfish and shortsighted can you be? The extent of self centered thinking that some individuals, particularly conservatives have, never ceases to amaze me. I have no kids and am not always thrilled about paying thousands of dollars in property taxes per year to educate your and many other strangers' kids, but we are a community and a country, it's not just about me, myself, and I, and that's what I need to do for the benefit of all of us.
Those who pay no federal income tax whatsoever, and that's 45% of all US 1040 filers, already get to drive on roads, bridges, and use government employee-provided services. So, clearly, if they get all that for free, so should everyone else. Constitution's Equal Protection Clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies