Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:11 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times

Advertisements

Original investigation, plus commentary, on "copycat" legislation.

You elected them to write new laws. They’re letting corporations do it instead.
Rob O'Dell and Nick Penzenstadler

Disguised as the work of lawmakers, these so-called “model” bills get copied in one state Capitol after another, quietly advancing the agenda of the people who write them.... In all, these copycat bills amount to  the nation’s largest, unreported special-interest campaign, driving agendas in every statehouse and touching nearly every area of public policy.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ts/3162173002/

The plot against America: Inside the Christian right plan to "remodel" the nation
By Paul Rosenberg

On April 3, USA Today published an array of stories under the banner, “Copy, Paste, Legislate,” exploring the political impact of model bills on state-level legislation — more than 10,000 bills from 2010 to 2018 — based on a two-year joint investigation with the Arizona Republic and the Center for Public Integrity. The lead story headline said it all: “You elected them to write new laws. They’re letting corporations do it instead.”

But within the fold of “conservative groups” there’s a whole other story to be told about the organizing of extremist religious conservatives, whose political mobilization, as I’ve noted in the past, played a crucial role in electing Donald Trump.

https://www.salon.com/2019/04/13/the...el-the-nation/

Old 04-18-2019, 08:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
The Left severely underestimated the Christian Right, believing they had won the culture war when same-sex marriage was legalized. Then 2016 happened and the Christian Right went from being thought as something that’s time had passed sprung to life and has become the dominant political and cultural force in our country. The entire reason Trump can get away with what he does is because he is the revenge of the Christian Right personified. If you aren’t white, straight, born again, and if you don’t believe in a patriarchal social order you are the scum of the earth in America today. I truly believe we are one national crisis away from becoming ‘A Handmaid’s Tale’, and if Trump wins a second term I think it’s a certain thing, at least in some parts of the country.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:43 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
I read a book a while back about the Christian right's plan to take over America. It really is horrifying. They're raising their kids to be elected officials so they can pass Christian laws that everybody has to obey. That book was a real wake up call for me.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:54 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,087,596 times
You folks are delusional.

The "religious right" makes up only a small part of people who identify as Conservatives.

But we know, you have to have your Boogeyman.

"White men, Nazis and Christians....Oh my!"

Old 04-22-2019, 03:55 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The Left severely underestimated the Christian Right, believing they had won the culture war when same-sex marriage was legalized. Then 2016 happened and the Christian Right went from being thought as something that’s time had passed sprung to life and has become the dominant political and cultural force in our country. The entire reason Trump can get away with what he does is because he is the revenge of the Christian Right personified. If you aren’t white, straight, born again, and if you don’t believe in a patriarchal social order you are the scum of the earth in America today. I truly believe we are one national crisis away from becoming ‘A Handmaid’s Tale’, and if Trump wins a second term I think it’s a certain thing, at least in some parts of the country.

Care to cite biblical verse that actually makes that 'Christ-like' behavior? Or should we just take it as the perversion of Christ's teachings it appears to be?

Old 04-22-2019, 03:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

The "religious right" makes up only a small part of people who identify as Conservatives.

Seems to me Conservatives make up only a small part of people who identify as Conservatives.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:25 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

Ever seen Jesus Camp? I suggest you watch it if you haven't already. And that's just ONE small group of evangelical fruitcakes out of how many in this country?

Old 04-22-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Ever seen Jesus Camp? I suggest you watch it if you haven't already. And that's just ONE small group of evangelical fruitcakes out of how many in this country?

I'm about as agnostic as you can get.

I'm fine with gay marriage and legalizing prostitution and most recreational drug use.

And I consider myself a Conservative.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Seems to me Conservatives make up only a small part of people who identify as Conservatives.

Who made you the Grand Poobah and sole arbiter of what constitutes a "Conservative"?

Old 04-22-2019, 05:12 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Indeed.

Conservatives of the past believed that America is that "shining city on the hill" and we should be behave with honor, setting an example for the world to follow, that our Constitution is sacred, that traditional morality as defined by the Bible is how things should be, that federal budgets should be balanced and a growing national debt puts our nation in peril, ...

None of that seems important to those who call themselves Conservatives these days.

Even Christians don't seem to following the teachings of Christ. What would Jesus say about how we are treating families and children at the border?

Ten Commandments was pretty clear on things such as not committing adultery, and not lying. Yet that seems of little importance to the "religious right."

Strange times we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies