Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Jennings - Obama failed America with how he handled Russia?
Yes: this mess happened under Obama, he did nothing and then punished Russia lightly 84 83.17%
Kind of, it is in part right, but a bit harsh on Obama 2 1.98%
No - Obama acted appropriately while he knew Russia was meddling and then punished Russia enough 15 14.85%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:15 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/opini...-st=1555705930

I will summarize the Op-Ed from Scott Jennings that CNN is running...

-Russians meddled in our election under Obama's watch starting in 2014

-Obama knew Russia was getting more brazen in interference

-Susan Rice told her staff to stand down and knock it off as the US would draw up plans to strike back

-Perhaps Obama went soft on Russia as he focused on nuclear deal with Iran and wanted good relations with Putin to help vis-à-vis Iran

-Obama's punishment AFTER the 2016 election was so weak that even those who helped craft it called it largely "symbolic." A slap on the wrist for a serious incursion.

-Even Schiff admits Obama "should have done a lot more"

-Obama's ambassador to Russia claims Obama was too soft on Russia

-It is legitimate to wonder if the collusion story was an invention to cover up Obama's failures of looking the other way while Russia meddled

-Biden falsely accused McConnell of refusing to stand against Russians during 2016 election, this wasn't true, which leads to more Obama smokescreen questions

-Obama declined to prosecute Julian Assange in 2010 who is now getting lots of blame

-If you consider Russian interference a crisis for American democracy then you can't conclude anything other than Obama spectacularly failed America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 07:49 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
He owed it to the American people and the legacy of democracy to squash this as soon as it was discovered, but partisan politics meant more to him. I guess he either wanted to use it to bolster Hillary somehow or as a method to bring into question the legitimacy of a Republican or to essentially blackmail them, if that person “managed” to beat her. I can’t help but to believe this was done in part to maintain some level of control of the White House after he left office and ensure support for a continuance of his agenda. One does kind of wonder about Obama’s real relationship with Russia, this is after all the guy who said concern about Russia belonged in the 80’s and who promised them more flexibility after his election. Who knows, maybe I’m overthinking this, but one thing I am sure about is that this would all have been buried, and at most there might be a bare mention by the mainstream media, had Hillary won.

There is no doubt in my mind that Susan Rice is a monumental sycophant who would without second thought sell our country up the road. My only question is whether it is personal gain that was her motivator or blind devotion to Obama.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:04 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Obama did mess up in so many ways and I hope that it will all come out.

I believe that he knew what was going on and Russian Collusion was their safety if Hillary should lose.

I remember a time in the lead up to the election when Obama was asked about Trumps chances at becoming President and there was something very cold and calculating in his response that "Trump will never be President" that I felt like we could possibly be seeing a JFK type assassination. Well 2 years later and the Dems have been trying everything they can to assassinate Trump's character.

Obama told us that it was impossible to alter votes after they were cast but now the Dems are telling us that the Russians brainwashed people with some facebook and social media posts to get them to vote for Trump?

It is all so weak and flimsy just like some of Obama's policies and Hillary's attempts at running for office.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:43 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
Russia has been meddling in our elections for about 100 years....nobody really cared before.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:15 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Conservatives on this forum blasted Obama for years for being too hard on Russia. In fact, most Trump supporters are convinced Russian interference never happened.

What did you want Obama to do? Tell Trump he couldn't run for office? That probably would've started a civil war.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:20 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,403 times
Trump and associates had 100 contacts with Russians.

Russia wanted Trump as President.

Russian interference is still going on under Trumps watch!

But let’s blame Obama, lol. Give me a break.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:28 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Did we have senate and house intelligence committees back in 2016 that have access to the same intelligence briefings as Obama. Where was Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell and Linsey Graham and others.

This was brought to a head when they hacked the DNC and dumped the emails to WikiLeaks, that was a new level of interference along with the Russian companies that were involved. Trump had access to all the briefing but choose to take Putin at his word criticizing our intelligence agencies even well into 2017.

I'm sure the political committees will be more cautious now and Facebook is being scrutinized but back in 2016 I'm really not sure what they could have done.

The question is what are we doing now to avoid a repeat.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:29 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Will people who voted 'yes' on this poll admit Russia swayed them to vote for Trump?

Is that why Obama should be punished?

Old 04-20-2019, 10:42 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Conservatives on this forum blasted Obama for years for being too hard on Russia. In fact, most Trump supporters are convinced Russian interference never happened.

I find the above comment kind lame...does giving the Crimea away without a word too hard on Putin? Not arming the Ukraine to hard on Putin while thousands of Ukrainians are killed and their land is taken by Russian. Does the Russian shooting down a commercial jet over Ukraine and doing jack being to hard on Russia?

Quote:
What did you want Obama to do? Tell Trump he couldn't run for office? That probably would've started a civil war.

What did Obama administration do....nothing but tell the Russian ambassador that when he is reelected he will be more flexibility. And Hillary pushing the red restart button with the Russian ambassador.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:48 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Trump and associates had 100 contacts with Russians.
So what? He was a businessman before he was elected president.

Quote:
Russia wanted Trump as President.
So did I, does that make me a Russian agent

Quote:
Russian interference is still going on under Trumps watch!
And most likely has been for years and will for years to come...Your point?

Quote:
But let’s blame Obama, lol. Give me a break.
Obama did nothing to reveal it happening, why because he thought Hillary was a shoe in and it wouldn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies