Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 12:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
I'll check it out.

Right up to the 1950's, some European countries were pretty brutal in the ay they applied smallpox vaccines. They were literally scratched into the skin over a largish area. This method left big scars. I used to notice such scars on the Italian kids at school.

I was an army medic in the "holiday posting' Of Malaysia and Singapore. That meant wives and kids came

We immunised nearly 1000 people against influenza; a simple sub cutaneous injection. IE small gauge needle, at an oblique angle, which did not puncture a muscle.

We also regularly administered smallpox vaccinations; small gauge needle, no syringe. A tiny drop of the vaccine on the tip of needle. The vaccine was pushed under the dermis, (intra dermis) without drawing bloody. Left a small scar.

Disclaimer ; that WAS 50 years ago. Hopefully things have improved for the better.
I got the smallpox vaccination in the late 50s, at school. The nurse rubbed my arm with alcohol, then used an implement that had a group of short needles shoot out, into my arm. I looked away at that point, but they did something else. We all had some type of reaction. Some worse than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I got the smallpox vaccination in the late 50s, at school. The nurse rubbed my arm with alcohol, then used an implement that had a group of short needles shoot out, into my arm. I looked away at that point, but they did something else. We all had some type of reaction. Some worse than others.
Was that possibly the tine test? Was it four needle pricks on your lower arm?

Old 04-22-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Was that possibly the tine test? Was it four needle pricks on your lower arm?
That was a long time ago. I saw the tines or needles shoot out and go into my arm in a flash. I'm not going to guess if it was 4, 6, or 8 or whatever. It was my upper arm. I looked away while they did the rest. It was the smallpox vaccination. We all got it. The school had medical people come to administer it to 2 classes every other year. Everyone had reactions from it. A couple of girls had to have the lumps surgically removed as teenagers.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That was a long time ago. I saw the tines or needles shoot out and go into my arm in a flash. I'm not going to guess if it was 4, 6, or 8 or whatever. It was my upper arm. I looked away while they did the rest. It was the smallpox vaccination. We all got it. The school had medical people come to administer it to 2 classes every other year. Everyone had reactions from it. A couple of girls had to have the lumps surgically removed as teenagers.
Ah. Got it. I think we were supposed to have reactions to the smallpox vaccine. It wasn't your typical vaccine. The tine test was used for testing for TB. It was four pin pricks on the forearm. And this I remember specifically, the doctor would send you home with a paper that showed a normal reaction and three other possible not normal reactions. The other three indicated possible TB. They do it differently nowadays, it's one pin prick.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Ah. Got it. I think we were supposed to have reactions to the smallpox vaccine. It wasn't your typical vaccine. The tine test was used for testing for TB. It was four pin pricks on the forearm. And this I remember specifically, the doctor would send you home with a paper that showed a normal reaction and three other possible not normal reactions. The other three indicated possible TB. They do it differently nowadays, it's one pin prick.
They told us nothing in advance. It was the 50s. I was horrified to see a group of needles flying out, into my arm. At that point I just looked away. I still remember some of the class was out sick the next day. None of us just got scabs. It was all raised reactions.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:49 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I have no clue whether or not vaccines cause autism. More to the point are the questions "What DOES cause autism?
The only scientific evidence that shows vaccines as not causative for Autism are a crapton of epidemiology. And epidemiology is insufficient, per US code; to rule out causation ... UNLESS ... there is biological evidence that supports a different cause. Which is why there is no rush to establish a biological cause.

Instead, there is a media blackout against concerned parents groups & their social media. Instead, there is a media attempt to dilute autism to the public by showing cute little flapping muppets on Sesame Street & savant medical students during prime time. Instead; funding was channeled to start ‘autism advocacy’ or ‘neurodiversity’ groups with lots of press time & high functioning autistic young adults who were manipulated into turning on their parents for being Antivaxxers & declaring that; “if you want to cure autism then you don’t accept me for who I am”.

In complete ignorance of the fact that they have a developmental delay that impairs their social functioning & are unable to empathize with the lower functioning autistics who will die in institutions after their parents do.

BTW; the closest they have reluctantly come to establishing what does cause autism? Is that it occurs from an immune mediated response to a viral trigger. Have you seen that yet in the headlines?

Me neither.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:11 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
There is a crapton of evidence that autism is genetic.

One of the newest studies:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0527111726.htm

"Leveraging artificial intelligence techniques, researchers have demonstrated that mutations in so-called 'junk' DNA can cause autism."

Old 06-05-2019, 07:19 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Get your vaccines and don't question what could be in them. Obviously vaccines are super safe considering they are given out like hotcakes now for everything, our population is at the unhealthiest it has been in decades, and autism rates are through the roof!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:22 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is a crapton of evidence that autism is genetic.

So just magically genetics over the last couple of decades have dictated that autism rates have increased a "crapton"?

Old 06-05-2019, 10:01 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
So just magically genetics over the last couple of decades have dictated that autism rates have increased a "crapton"?
No, but guidelines for diagnosing autism have. Just like we all knew kids who had trouble reading or couldn’t sit still, but didn’t know they had dyslexia or ADHD until they were routinely diagnosed. Autism has always existed, but wasn’t diagnosed as such until the last couple decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies