Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:07 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

I worked in healthcare before Clinton came into office and loved it. We had time to safely perform procedures ect... and take time talking with patients (to me important). After Hillarycare healthcare changed from patient centric to insurance centric. Healthcare workers care about taking care of patients but after Hillarycare it was if the patient is an after thought, it lead to my burnout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Uhhhh......it's not that hard. I mean, some of the education sucks, and the job itself can be physically demanding, depending on how often you have to move patients manually (and how big they are). The job itself though isn't a brain buster. There's very little room for critical thinking or any real time-sensitive decisions to be made (because nurses are not autonomous, aside from a few exceptions).
LOL You obviously don't have a clue what the job entails. Let me give you just one example.

A pt is on a vent but the vent pushes air in the high pressure alarm is sounding, the patient is anxious what do you do? Do you give anti anxiety medication to treat the symptom? I hope not because without critical thinking skills and knowledge the patient could die.

Upon patient observation, the patient is agitated, skin is cyanotic (blue) and heart is racing. Because you have knowledge and critical thinking skills you determine that the airway is not blocked but notice the chest is not rising bilaterally. Listening to chest sounds confirms that only the right side has airflow. A pulse ox indicates hypoxia. My critical thinking skills determine that this pt tube may need repositioned or they possibly have developed a pneumothorax. The Dr is called Stat, while waiting for the Dr to call back the X-ray tech is called stat. It is determined that the pt has a pneumo and needs a chest tube.

Now you are assisting the Dr to put a chest tube in while the other patients want you and you still have your regular work.

Good thing I have critical thinking skills or the pt could have been given a prn Xanax, and the patient could die.

Last edited by petch751; 04-20-2019 at 09:57 PM..

Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 PM

709 posts, read 656,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL You obviously don't have a clue what the job entails.

Yeah, working in health care for the past 7 years and currently being a nurse sure means I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Uhhhh......it's not that hard. I mean, some of the education sucks, and the job itself can be physically demanding, depending on how often you have to move patients manually (and how big they are). The job itself though isn't a brain buster. There's very little room for critical thinking or any real time-sensitive decisions to be made (because nurses are not autonomous, aside from a few exceptions).
I don't even know where to start on this.

Maybe I'll tell an anecdote. Saturday afternoon on the Cardiac Care Unit. A patient codes. The doctor on call arrives, and is clearly out of his depth. While he's not known as the brightest bulb on the hospital call list, he is smart enough to listen to our acting head nurse for the day, a take-no-BS-RN (who owns a bar with her partner). We swing into action, she tells the doc what to order and when, the patient survives.

As we are cleaning up the chaos, the doc sheepishly admits that "gee, maybe I'd better brush up" on cardiac care. He's trying to ease the tension, because we really are upset that none of our competent docs are on call for us. What if our patient had needed a cut-down? (dunno if they still do these) Our tough RN isn't having any. She fixes him with the same glare she undoubtedly uses as she 86'es some drunk from her bar, and says "yeah, you'd better do that".

Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Yeah, working in health care for the past 7 years and currently being a nurse sure means I don't know what I'm talking about.
I guess you're not working in any type of critical care unit, or in public health, or home health. The latter two require you to work independently, the former requires a lot of "critical thinking".

Old 04-20-2019, 09:32 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
I would comment but since it’s so laughable that a senator is discussing work ethics, I’ll refrain.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I guess you're not working in any type of critical care unit, or in public health, or home health. The latter two require you to work independently, the former requires a lot of "critical thinking".
Must be working in a doctor's office.* I can't think of a single area in a hospital that doesn't require critical thinking. On your feet. For 12 hours straight.

*(Not talking about nurse practitioners or PAs here, obviously.)

Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
What type of nursing did you do, floor?

Old 04-20-2019, 09:36 PM

709 posts, read 656,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don't even know where to start on this.

Maybe I'll tell an anecdote. Saturday afternoon on the Cardiac Care Unit. A patient codes. The doctor on call arrives, and is clearly out of his depth. While he's not known as the brightest bulb on the hospital call list, he is smart enough to listen to our acting head nurse for the day, a take-no-BS-RN (who owns a bar with her partner). We swing into action, she tells the doc what to order and when, the patient survives.

As we are cleaning up the chaos, the doc sheepishly admits that "gee, maybe I'd better brush up" on cardiac care. He's trying to ease the tension, because we really are upset that none of our competent docs are on call for us. What if our patient had needed a cut-down? (dunno if they still do these) Our tough RN isn't having any. She fixes him with the same glare she undoubtedly uses as she 86'es some drunk from her bar, and says "yeah, you'd better do that".

ACLS isn't rocket science.

You're not going to wow me with a run of the mill code. Especially in a hospital. I was a paramedic before becoming a nurse; try working a code, with only your partner and with no doctor to tell you what to do on the floor of some disgusting trailer while the patient's kids and husband looks on. Try standing at a car that has crashed, unable to help the patient inside because they're pinned, waiting on the fire department to make the scene so they can cut the car apart. Try handling a respiratory distress call that's bordering on respiratory arrest because the ****ing nursing home nurse thought bumping the O2 on the cannula up to 4lpm from the patient's normal 2lpm would work.

Don't tell me nursing is the hardest job in the world. It isn't, nor is it even close. I know this, because I can compare what I do now to what I've done. You know what nursing is? It's a completely controlled clinical environment with very little actual responsibility for deciding the outcome and treatment of patients. I didn't say it couldn't be a difficult job. What I said was it's not that difficult. It's not horrible physically, and it's certainly not bad mentally.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What type of nursing did you do, floor?
Or better yet, what hospital. I certainly want to make sure myself or any of my loved ones stay clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies