Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 11:50 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

You need more nurses

My wife has 25 patients and 50 if she does nights

Feel in nursing homes shouldn't have a load over 15 and 1 tech for every 10 patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 06:44 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have yet to find a nurse who knows the proper way to take a blood pressure reading.
Why haven't you taught them the proper way a being such an expert and all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Yeah, working in health care for the past 7 years and currently being a nurse sure means I don't know what I'm talking about.
That moment when I look at the state a poster is from... and am relieved I won't meet them in a hospital anytime.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
How laughably ironic to hear a member of Congress grousing about workers at another occupation being unproductive.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:57 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
How laughably ironic to hear a member of Congress grousing about workers at another occupation being unproductive.
Agree, but probably where we will differ is that I dont want a productive or efficient congre$$

Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I believe the woman is a member of the state of Washington legislature, not Congress. Otherwise, I agree.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:22 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
My partner is a nurse and she busts her tail. This senator has managed to outrage an entire proffession with her ignorant comments.
Maybe someone should follow Walsh around all day and report back how productive she is.
Best wishes on your mothers recovery.
I am a physician and work with a lot of nurses. Nurses work very hard and are underpaid. The nurses, rather than us, are the backbone of medical care.

When patients are asked who they trust more (physicians or nurses), nurses are more trusted.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
My partner is a nurse and she busts her tail. This senator has managed to outrage an entire proffession with her ignorant comments.
Maybe someone should follow Walsh around all day and report back how productive she is.
Best wishes on your mothers recovery.
Senator Walsh appears as if she has never missed a meal break.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
This senator was talking specifically about 25-bed critical access hospitals. There are some odd regulations requiring a minimum number of nurses to be at the hospital, regardless of caseload, that makes it appears they are overstaffed at times.

Federal regs. What industry doesn't deal with some good Federal regs?

But, I will agree with the senator that nurses someone's cause their own troubles. I hear a lot of whining about being tired. Want your 12-hour shifts? Don't complain about it then.

BTW - I see real benefit for patients to having fewer nurses, fewer changes, throughout a day.
Many nurses are required to stay beyond their shifts for countless hours, even up to another eight hours. By working 12 hour shifts, nurses schedules were less disrupted by mandatory overtime. At least they had an extra day off to recover from excessive work hours.

Quote:
Thus, mandatory overtime increases nurse dissatisfaction and burnout, ultimately worsening the staffing shortage.
Frequent shift rotation, poor relationships with physicians, and lack of nursing autonomy can contribute to reduced morale and job dissatisfaction, perpetuating the vicious cycle. The same goes for fatigue caused by consistently long work hours.

But chronic use of overtime can jeopardize the quality and safety of patient care. Under pressure from chronic staffing shortages, hospital administrators may implement a policy of mandatory overtime. One study found that more than half of hospital staff nurses work more than 12 hours per day and 17% work mandatory overtime. Some hospitals go so far as to terminate nurses who refuse overtime work; others report them to the state licensing board for patient abandonment.
https://www.americannursetoday.com/s...tory-overtime/

Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
ACLS isn't rocket science.

You're not going to wow me with a run of the mill code. Especially in a hospital. I was a paramedic before becoming a nurse; try working a code, with only your partner and with no doctor to tell you what to do on the floor of some disgusting trailer while the patient's kids and husband looks on. Try standing at a car that has crashed, unable to help the patient inside because they're pinned, waiting on the fire department to make the scene so they can cut the car apart. Try handling a respiratory distress call that's bordering on respiratory arrest because the ****ing nursing home nurse thought bumping the O2 on the cannula up to 4lpm from the patient's normal 2lpm would work.

Don't tell me nursing is the hardest job in the world. It isn't, nor is it even close. I know this, because I can compare what I do now to what I've done. You know what nursing is? It's a completely controlled clinical environment with very little actual responsibility for deciding the outcome and treatment of patients. I didn't say it couldn't be a difficult job. What I said was it's not that difficult. It's not horrible physically, and it's certainly not bad mentally.
Are you one of the nurses who plays cards! Please retire from the profession as you are disgracing it.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
My wife saw this article and blew a gasket, having worked as a nurse for almost 40 years. Sure, there are slackers, but most do a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies