Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Laws are a good effort to try and get the drunks off the road. It's too bad that judges and solicitors are such push overs and let people off or to plead to lesser offenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
I'm not saying it's OK to drnk and Drive but the general public doesn't have $5000.00+ to spend on a lawyer. Then add up all the other expenses it's 10,000+. Judges need to consider all the facts in a case and look at whom the offender is and make there judgement and get it over with. People need to get on with thier lives. This isn't a Violent Crime in most cases it's just about being impaired and making a stpid discission to drive.
They should have thought of that before they decided to drink and drive. Also, concerning your comment of not being a violent crime, people die all the time due to the carelessness of intoxicated drivers.

I would be willing to remove the proactive drinking and driving laws if we implement reactive laws that are severe. For instance, if someone drinks and drives and kills another in the process, the death penalty. This way, those who choose to be irresponsible will only make that mistake once. If they do so and someone is only injured, 25 years no reduction in sentence for plea or time reductions on served, just 25 years to accept the consequences of irresponsible behavior.

This way, you are free to make your own choices and be responsible for them in kind.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 929 times
I went to a rock concert last month and had a few drinks while I was there. I had Burger King with a friend and drove home only to get pulled over at 2am on a Monday night for a unlit license plate on my antique car (which has no license plate lightbulb housing). I've heard if you feel impaired it's better to deny the breathalyzer but I felt fine and blew a 0.08.

I am 23 years old and work full-time while going to college full-time. I did not drink until I was 21 and will be the first in my family to get a bachelor's degree. This situation has been hanging over my head like a black cloud for the past month. It distracts me from my schoolwork and occasionally keeps me up at night, in addition to making it hard for me to get from school (8am-4pm) to work (5pm-midnight).

I understand drinking and driving is wrong and have never driven when I knew that I would endanger myself or another person. My antique car is one of my biggest hobbies (on which I spend thousands a year, I would never drink and drive, if only to save my car) and blowing the legal limit has tainted it for me. Also, I was hoping to put my degree to use in a hospital helping to diagnosing cancer as a nuclear medicine technician. My dream may be shattered as application to the training programs requires a background check.

I feel shame for what I've done, but I also feel wronged because this is not what the DUI laws were intended for. The laws were meant to save lives, but I feel as though mine is ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies