Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:56 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times

Advertisements

If by "Chinese in America" you're suggesting that Americans of Chinese ancestry condone the PRC's tactics, then most assuredly, they don't. But if one is suggesting that citizens of the People's Republic, living here in America, seem to "back" some of China's questionable policies...the answer is, "Of COURSE they do"....After all, the Chinese government knows where their relatives live !.....MOST of us, in that position, would find ourselves VERY reluctant to 'make waves', knowing we had many family members living 'back home'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not with automobiles though... no Chinese cars for me!
Really? I find the Chinese "Cherry" somewhat appealing.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_412/car_photo_206465_7.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
China has as much a right to host the Olympics as the US does.

The OP is simply a stunning example of American arrogance and hypocrisy. Here is a country guilty of WAR CRIMES with a WAR CRIMINAL as President that dares lecture the world about respect for human rights. Without a doubt China is guilty of incredible human rights abuses, but the US is in no position to act as the moral authority here.
The agreement for china hosting the olypmics was that it was going to improve it's human rights record/ability/whatever. It hasn't done that. Thus, it shouldn't host the olympics.

It has nothing to do with comparison of US and china, but the fact that they agreed that they were going to improve their record and they haven't.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 24,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Well let's keep in mind that half the Chinese here are spies.

chinese spying - Google Search
ugh...that adds up to 650 million. Wow, the country must be really rich!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Not with automobiles though... no Chinese cars for me!
sooner or later, pal. Americans used to think Japanese cars were a joke.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:57 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times
Wow. I find it amazing that there are so many people who know all about Taiwan, Tibet, Hong Kong, and the PRC who have never been to any of those places.

This thread has very little meaningful input when you ignore the posts that say something like "The Chinese I've met say..."

Oh, and I also like the really long rant about how liberal indoctrination is just like hardline communist propaganda, which is pretty much a word-for-word unaltered repetition of the mantras of the various conservative talking heads. LOL. That was classic!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinapie1999 View Post
sooner or later, pal. Americans used to think Japanese cars were a joke.
Nope. I will never own a Chinese car, I don't trust the Chinese technique of reverse engineering. I love my Japanese cars too much. Plus my favorite cars are from the mid 80's to early '90's.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Nope. I will never own a Chinese car, I don't trust the Chinese technique of reverse engineering. I love my Japanese cars too much. Plus my favorite cars are from the mid 80's to early '90's.
Hmm...it's fine that you don't trust Chinese technology. I don't trust some of them neither. But just in case you didn't know, compass, paper money, paper-making, printing, gunpowder, fireworks....are all Chinese technologies. Do you not trust them too? Prove it and throw away all your cash

Never say never. We are just too small and shallow in the history of mankind.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 AM

BTW, to answer the OP's question, I think your title is quite misleading. Your assumption is that China is brutal.
I believe that the advancement of human rights has a lot to do with economic development. Rich countries tend to have better HR conditions while poor countries tend not to. If you expect China, whose GDP per capita ranks about 100th and population ranks the 1st of the world, to have the same HR conditions as the U.S. does, I would say that you guys will be disappointed.

Many overseas Chinese stand on China's side is because Olympics is the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for all Chinese who value their culture background and heritage. The Tibet unrest is not a coincidence. Many mainland Chinese are with their government is because they have never enjoyed better HR b4. The West cannot just force the HR and democracy down one's throat. It has been proved wrong in many cases. What most Chinese seek for is to keep the wealth they have accumulated rather than overthrowing the government which may induce huge socio-economic unstability. They have just enjoyed a good life for 10-20 years. They are like "there's no way you're gonna take it away from me"...

just my 2 cents. I believe that people have to understand that your standards do not necessarily fit all countries.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,803 times
well....I am a Chinese from HK. I can tell you that you it's true, most Chinese in America are on the side of the china brutality. Most Chinese from Mainland China were brain washed by their government, I watch an documentary yesterday," China is the country I born, so I have to love whatever they do, I love her, I really love her." a College girl in Hong Kong who originally come from China said. Luckily, I was born in HK and grown up in HK, so that I can have some independent mind.

If you don't follow what they think, they will consider you are a
traitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies