Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:37 AM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Here in Texas, blonde and red-haired Hispanics are everywhere.
Yes, in Texas Mexicans used to be considered to be as white as Anglo-Americans.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:45 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Don't assume! This girl, Sara Paxton, is 1/2 latino:

Sara Paxton
I'm not assuming! Every ethnic group in the USA has those sorts of people who claim to be something because they had an ancestor from the 1880's or so that was one they look ridiculous when they travel to the home country of that ancestor and say I'm one of you.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:41 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
I’m sure Cameron Diaz, Louie CK, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Alba, Bruno Mars, Soledad O’Brien, and even the dearly departed Rita Hayworth would all have a great laugh at OP’s extreme foolishness, were they members of C-D.

Hispanics come in different colors. Consider yourself schooled.

LOL. The people in the picture DON'T look anything like the people in your list do they?

Now, it's possible they're really Anglo-looking Latinos. But it's pretty hard to believe that these Latinos do NOT know Spanish.

"Latinos Para Trump"???????

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you figure out what it means?? Or have your Latino friends translate it for you?? Don't use Google Translate because that's what these people in the picture did and they got it wrong.

The proper wording should've been "Latinos Por Trump" or "Latinos a favor de Trump".

Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yeah, right!

Next thing you'll be telling us that Latinos can be black.
Latinos are those from a geographic area. They can indeed be white, black, Hispanic, etc.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
LOL. The people in the picture DON'T look anything like the people in your list do they?

Now, it's possible they're really Anglo-looking Latinos. But it's pretty hard to believe that these Latinos do NOT know Spanish.

"Latinos Para Trump"???????

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you figure out what it means?? Or have your Latino friends translate it for you?? Don't use Google Translate because that's what these people in the picture did and they got it wrong.

The proper wording should've been "Latinos Por Trump" or "Latinos a favor de Trump".

LOL. You think Trump fans are the only ones to botch this? Politico even wrote an article pointing out the various ways that Spanish is botched on election materials.

https://www.politico.com/interactive...h-translation/

You can Google "Latinos para Obama", "Latinos para Beto", etc. online and find election propaganda that was printed out this way. It's a common syntax error, not proof of who is/is not Hispanic.

But by all means continue to color code human beings for your own ease and comfort.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:43 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
LOL. You think Trump fans are the only ones to botch this? Politico even wrote an article pointing out the various ways that Spanish is botched on election materials.

https://www.politico.com/interactive...h-translation/

You can Google "Latinos para Obama", "Latinos para Beto", etc. online and find election propaganda that was printed out this way. It's a common syntax error, not proof of who is/is not Hispanic.

But by all means continue to color code human beings for your own ease and comfort.

It's a common syntax error for people who don't know Spanish... as the link you provided said.

Quote:

Using Google to translate English text into Spanish is a trick used by high school students to avoid doing their Spanish homework — not something you’d expect to see from candidates for the highest office in the land.
The Democrats tried to translate English to Spanish to post on their website and failed.

The Republicans tried to give out poorly translated Spanish signs supporting Trump to his Anglo base to give out the impression that Hispanics supports him also failed.

The article you posted actually supports my point. Thanks for the assist.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:24 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
It's a common syntax error for people who don't know Spanish... as the link you provided said.

The Democrats tried to translate English to Spanish to post on their website and failed.

The Republicans tried to give out poorly translated Spanish signs supporting Trump to his Anglo base to give out the impression that Hispanics supports him also failed.

Your logic is still flawed... those people could still be Latinos that aren't as anally retentive as you are!

Old 04-22-2019, 02:48 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:

1. You’re making the assumption that every Hispanic person speaks Spanish. Don’t do that.

2. You’re welcome for the “assist”. I thought this was a conversation, not a competition.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:50 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,587 posts, read 17,927,273 times
This whole thing reminds me of a protest held by parents who wanted their kids to be able to participate in the graduation ceremony and "walk" although the kids had been unable to pass the requisite exit tests.

They were marching with signs that said "Let Are Kids Walk".

The photo was published in the paper without comment.

Kind of feels the same.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:03 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Having family relatives from South America who are whiter than a glass of milk I think it would be safe to say that the U.S. Census Bureau has it right when defining the ethnonym "Latino" as a person of Spanish Culture regardless of any race ,ancestry and any ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies