Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
His problem with this topic is the fact that he sees diversity as a 100% racial issue, when it is much more than that.

Years ago I was in Central Park to see/hear the Metropolitan Opera Co. perform La Traviata, I was sitting on a bench behind a baseball backstop listening to a South Korean soprano perform an Italian opera based on a French novel. One of my first thoughts was 'only in America', and I mean that in the best possible way.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:41 AM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
There has to be an underlying framework any large society can at least tacitly adhere to so that the proverbial house of cards doesn't collapse in on itself. The US Constitution and amendments thereto have enabled this country to become the freest and most prosperous nation in human history. There is no better time or place to live in, and it wouldn't constitute "progress" to tear it down.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:45 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"the" problem? Or one of many potential downsides involved in fixing wrongs?

If we pollute the ground, there is a BIG PROBLEM when we go to clean it up. How do we protect the workers? What do we do with the bad chemicals and earth we dig up?

Actions=Reactions.

If I accidentally or purposely crash my car into yours and injuries and deaths result, there is "a problem" because I can never really make it right. There will be "problems" as you undergo surgery to try to fix what I did.

Same goes with equal rights under the law. If we didn't create institutions over 100's of years which excluded a large number of our own citizens...and those who came here also....then we wouldn't have "problems" when we go to fix them.

Unless you have a time machine, we are going to have to go through the stages of fixing these problems.

Exactly. Diversity in America essentially means coming face to face with the problems America created. You see, this is the trick of "progress". If one can get the benefit of an act.....and not have to pay the cost of that act....then there is a net gain. In order to preserve the net gain....you have to defer the cost or have others pay it.

In a closed system, nothing is gained or lost. Things only shift. There is no net gain to the "system". Something decreases for something else to increase. The cost of increase is decrease. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. American don't want to face the cost/reaction to its historical actions.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:45 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"the" problem? Or one of many potential downsides involved in fixing wrongs?

If we pollute the ground, there is a BIG PROBLEM when we go to clean it up. How do we protect the workers? What do we do with the bad chemicals and earth we dig up?

Actions=Reactions.

If I accidentally or purposely crash my car into yours and injuries and deaths result, there is "a problem" because I can never really make it right. There will be "problems" as you undergo surgery to try to fix what I did.

Same goes with equal rights under the law. If we didn't create institutions over 100's of years which excluded a large number of our own citizens...and those who came here also....then we wouldn't have "problems" when we go to fix them.

Unless you have a time machine, we are going to have to go through the stages of fixing these problems.
Nope. No time machine.

I don’t think anyone is stating we shouldn’t have equal rights as we are all human beings. But to force x number of certain religions, cultural background, etc. all in the name of simple diversity is a problem. For everyone involved.

It’s like saying a class picture is wrong because it doesn’t have a certain representation of each group in the country. It’s just a class picture representing a school or a company and who is affiliated.

Give people some credit. Teach respect for others, whether the same or different from you. That alone will solve the diversity issue. People will naturally diversify their groups if they’re not forced into it. Force breeds resentment.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Every choice you make is a choice of what action or inaction is deemed superior for your needs, wants, desires, interest, etc. You find playing video games a "superior" way to spend your time than Yu-Gi-Oh.
That is technically correct, but it would be silly to think of it that way. Otherwise literally every decision you make is because of a "superiority-complex".

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Once again: I said NO SUCH THING! I said it wasn't the lack of desire to learn new things that brought us from the stone age, that applies the rocket scientists too!
The discussion was about diversity, and I was responding to a person who was rambling about how everyone is ignorant if they basically don't spend all their time hanging-out with people of other races and cultures. I responded that not everything is worth knowing because it doesn't benefit you(or could even be detrimental, such as growing-up in the ghetto as to learn what ghetto life is like).

Learning some obscure fact about Afghanistan doesn't help anyone get to the moon. And declaring that anyone who doesn't know that obscure fact is "ignorant" is just stupid. Certainly people should be interested in learning. But learning about other races and cultures has almost zero value, unless you want to live with those people.

Quote:
It does occur naturally. What do you mean by forcing?
If we were to abolish all government tomorrow there would cease to be pretty much any diversity, anywhere.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
no and no one is saying crimes are the fault of ALL black people so nice strawman. it is the fault of those people committing the crime. it is not society's fault or some slave owner from 200 years ago's fault
It looks like post #16 and 115 implies all are responsible for crimes of individuals.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:47 AM

19,623 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Right now I think income diversity is the major issue driving the problems.

Even in otherwise non-diverse areas, income disparities are causing unrest. There is also simply a coarsening of the culture, less community, people more on edge, more apathy. Many older neighborhoods look like they are beginning to break down, with less pride in property, cities and towns neglecting the infrastructure, etc.

The whole thing is unsettling. It doesn't feel like what we should be.

Last edited by tamajane; 04-22-2019 at 10:57 AM..

Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If we were to abolish all government tomorrow, there would cease to be pretty much any diversity, anywhere.
How do you figure?

Old 04-22-2019, 10:51 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Right now I think economic diversity is the major issue driving the problems.
Economic diversity = wide range of different industries.

Not a problem

Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
How do you figure?
No government = tribalism. Just as it was before government. Diversity can only exist under a state to enforce it.

If we woke up tomorrow and there were no police, cities would cease to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies