Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 PM

270 posts, read 110,215 times

Advertisements

“But for most of these illnesses below, you have more to fear from your fellow Americans than from Central Americans."

The principle at hand here is not whether it is a less or greater risk. It is a question of proximity. Proximity to the infected or vulnerable to becoming infected populations can eventually cause the one in proximity to become affected. I don’t know any migrants or work or go to school around them, so I’m sure Cato is correct and that my risk is probably zero. But the almighty rule of Kevin Bacon says I’m only a maximum of six degrees removed from a migrant and transmission can eventually bring that endemic disease to my doorstep. Not a risk I want to take, particularly since we have laws to prevent. We also have laws to prevent parents from having to receive vaccinations that may or may not be conducive to their kids’ health and that is a risk I am willing to take.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I think the anti-vax movement is buoyed to some degree by the fact that most of the adherents are too young to remember the times before mass vaccination.

From a Darwinian perspective, the mass proliferation of the anti-vax movement would be good as it would help remove the less resilient and the offspring of less intelligent individuals from the gene pool. Non-mandatory vaccination would be boon for the fitness of the species.
I agree with your last sentence but I don’t agree with how you got to there. The medical system in this country is really, really strong, no matter what Uncle Bernie or Uncle Joe tells us. Most of the unfit as you would call them will be saved by modern medicine and will thereby gain a lifetime immunity by having beaten the disease with their own immune systems, whereas those with only the MMR will lose their protection after around 20 years. Thus it stands to reason, if the foregoing is true, that under such conditions, it will actually be the most fit that are in real jeopardy, if by most fit, we mean those who have gotten all of their vaccinations. I disagree. I don’t think these people are fit at all. I think they are poisoned and thus they are sick. But I agree with your conclusion inasmuch as the weakest will probably be culled, though not those with reasonably strong immune systems that can fight off the disease.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I think the anti-vax movement is buoyed to some degree by the fact that most of the adherents are too young to remember the times before mass vaccination.

From a Darwinian perspective, the mass proliferation of the anti-vax movement would be good as it would help remove the less resilient and the offspring of less intelligent individuals from the gene pool.
I disagree with that last part. The greatest variance in IQ scores is accounted for by race, and there isn’t any reason for us to assume that a person who is skeptical of vaccines is any less intelligent than other members of their ethnic or racial group. In fact, I would hypothesize that vaccine skepticism is very mildly positively correlated with higher intelligence, part of that based on that I don’t think the person who uncritically agrees to put whatever substance into their child just because some doctor or doctors say so is really that intelligent. They are actually just sheep who are uninvolved in their child’s health, willing to put it into the hands of special interests and drug manufacturers.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And you don't know how many of those would have died anyway. It is like with flu deaths, most already have compromised immune systems and would die anyway. Causation without correlation. They had measles and they died, so you assume the measles killed them.
What would they have died from "anyway" and how do you know this?

Yes, people die from complications due to having contracted a vaccine preventable disease. Whereas had they never contracted the vaccine preventable disease? They wouldn't have died from complications due to.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:47 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

Yes, people die from complications due to having contracted a vaccine preventable disease. Whereas had they never contracted the vaccine preventable disease? They wouldn't have died from complications due to.
And there is no proof that is what actually killed them.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:47 PM

Katarina, I don’t agree with characterizing Cato as a conservative group. They are libertarian, and libertarians are often divided with conservatives on several key issues. Immigration being among the top issues that conservatives and libertarians don’t see eye to eye on. Libertarians feel that anything which cuts costs, increases profitability, or else delivers bigger returns to shareholders is the highest good to which a society can attain. Conservatives disagree and see that there are much higher goods than making a nice profit, while half of your workforce dies. Cato presented a study that deflects blame off illegal immigrants, no one would expect them to do anything else. Cato diminishes the threat posed by illegal immigration and a porous southern border and are thus not a reliable source.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:48 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As I said in the past vaccine threads I am not anti vaccine. They have obviously done good but I do question some of the things we do.

The first court award in a vaccine-autism claim is a big one. CBS News has learned the family of Hannah Poling will receive more than $1.5 million dollars for her life care; lost earnings; and pain and suffering for the first year alone.

In addition to the first year, the family will receive more than $500,000 per year to pay for Hannah's care. Those familiar with the case believe the compensation could easily amount to $20 million over the child's lifetime.

Hannah was described as normal, happy and precocious in her first 18 months.

Then, in July 2000, she was vaccinated against nine diseases in one doctor's visit: measles, mumps, rubella, polio, varicella, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, and Haemophilus influenzae.

Afterward, her health declined rapidly.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/family-...AGjwGR_dyqrKRY
Here's a different perspective.

Although experts testifying on behalf of the Polings could reasonably argue that development of fever and a varicella-vaccine rash after the administration of nine vaccines was enough to stress a child with mitochondrial enzyme deficiency, Hannah had other immunologic challenges that were not related to vaccines. She had frequent episodes of fever and otitis media, eventually necessitating placement of bilateral polyethylene tubes. Nor is such a medical history unusual. Children typically have four to six febrile illnesses each year during their first few years of life; vaccines are a minuscule contributor to this antigenic challenge.

Without data that clearly exonerate vaccines, it could be argued that children with mitochondrial enzyme deficiencies might have a lower risk of exacerbations if vaccines were withheld, delayed, or separated. But such changes would come at a price. Even spacing out vaccinations would increase the period during which children were susceptible to natural infections, giving a theoretical risk from vaccines priority over a known risk from vaccine-preventable diseases. These diseases aren't merely historical: pneumococcus, varicella, and pertussis are still common in the United States. Recent measles outbreaks in California, Arizona, and Wisconsin among children whose parents had chosen not to vaccinate them show the real risks of public distrust of immunization.

After the Polings' press conference, Julie Gerberding, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, responded to their claims that vaccines had caused their daughter's autism. “Let me be very clear that the government has made absolutely no statement . . . indicating that vaccines are a cause of autism,” she said. Gerberding's biggest challenge was defining the term “autism.” Because autism is a clinical diagnosis, children are labeled as autistic on the basis of a collection of clinical features.

Hannah Poling clearly had difficulties with language, speech, and communication. But those features of her condition considered autistic were part of a global encephalopathy caused by a mitochondrial enzyme deficit. Rett's syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, fragile X syndrome, and Down's syndrome in children can also have autistic features. Indeed, features reminiscent of autism are evident in all children with profound impairments in cognition; but these similarities are superficial, and their causal mechanisms and genetic influences are different from those of classic autism.

Vaccines and Autism Revisited — The Hannah Poling Case

Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

Some of these kids probably would have gone on to die in car accidents or from other childhood diseases. It’s not clear that had they been vaccinated that some of them wouldn’t have died anyway.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And there is no proof that is what actually killed them.
There are known complications that may arise from contracting a disease. Some are more severe than others. So if one has contracted a disease with a set of known complications, and one dies from one of those known complications (obviously had to be a severe complication) while suffering from said disease...that's all the proof necessary.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
Some of these kids probably would have gone on to die in car accidents or from other childhood diseases. It’s not clear that had they been vaccinated that some of them wouldn’t have died anyway.
Which has nothing to do with a death due to contracting a vaccine preventable disease.

This post of yours was tongue in cheek, yes?

I really hope it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies