Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:02 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I always thought Ukraine had a history of many Jewish people.

That's why it's always been saddening to read of anti-semitism in that part of the world.
The area from Ukraine through Moldova and parts of Poland, then part of Russia, was the "Pale of Settlement" to which Jews were confined. The powerless people were anti-Semitic. The authorities swung back and forth. The Jews had financial acumen and most people don't love their creditors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 06:10 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Ukraine: First country outside Israel with Jewish president, PM

Fun fact; Ukraine, formerly a region of Russia, now a country, is the first country outside Israel to have both a Jewish president and prime minister (link). Comedian Volodymyr Zelensky, who ironically played a sitcom role as a president with no political experience, handily won election; despite himself having no political experience. Volodymyr Groysman, who is Jewish, was elected Prime Minister in 2016.
(link to article).

Is this one-off, or a pattern? We live in interesting times.
Perhaps this person is very assimilated into Ukrainian culture and identifies as a Ukrainian and isn't very "Jewish"???

Plus it shows that the right isn't racist whether in other countries or here in the USA. If this person is loyal to Ukraine and considers himself Ukrainian there is nothing wrong with him just like I have no problem with someone from Mexico coming here if he comes LEGALLY, assimilates into American culture and is loyal to the United States. If someone refuses to assimilate into American culture and has divided loyalties then yes I have a problem with them being in our country.

in Europe most immigrants particularly Muslims are not loyal at all to their countries particular French and British Muslims.

Remember that Bobby Jindal, a person of Indian descent was governor here in Louisiana and its the white, Confederate monument supporting Republicans who put him in office not the black voters at all.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:31 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Perhaps this person is very assimilated into Ukrainian culture and identifies as a Ukrainian and isn't very "Jewish"???

Plus it shows that the right isn't racist whether in other countries or here in the USA. If this person is loyal to Ukraine and considers himself Ukrainian there is nothing wrong with him just like I have no problem with someone from Mexico coming here if he comes LEGALLY, assimilates into American culture and is loyal to the United States. If someone refuses to assimilate into American culture and has divided loyalties then yes I have a problem with them being in our country.
I agree and gave you rep, with one reservation in the rep's signature. My quibble is the term "very Jewish.' Observance of Shabbat by going to Friday night services or Saturday morning Torah study in no way diminishes loyalty to the host country, whether the U.S. or Ukraine.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:16 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
So what exactly is going to happen between the comedian and Putin? Setting aside assassination, as that would result in revolt, can Putin control the economy if Ukraine is independent? If not, what will he do? Shoot another 747 passenger airline onto Ukraine soil?

Old 04-27-2019, 09:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Benjamin Disraeli, who was a British prime minister in the 19th century, was Jewish.
The state isreal did not exist then. Janet jagan, who was born from American Jewish parents. She married a Guyanese man who ended up becoming president in 1992 during the return to democracy. When her husband died in office in 1997. She assumed the role as president. She is actually the first Jewish person outside of isreal to be president outside of the Jewish state of isreal.

As for Ukraine first Jewish president. It is nice to see flourishing Jewish culture to rebound in Ukraine after oppressive czarist, stalinist, nazi regimes that ravaged the population. I wish the new president of the Ukraine alot of success.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:23 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Interesting! I wonder if we'll be next! I've noticed that no one ever refers to Bernie being Jewish. I guess Republicans are too busy scaring people about blacks, gays, and Muslims that they can't be bothered with insulting people for being Jewish.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:30 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
So what exactly is going to happen between the comedian and Putin? Setting aside assassination, as that would result in revolt, can Putin control the economy if Ukraine is independent? If not, what will he do? Shoot another 747 passenger airline onto Ukraine soil?

The popular prime time TV serial ( that's about to begin) ?

Old 04-27-2019, 09:32 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Poor Ukraine. Now American liberals will hate it just like they do Israel.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I always thought Ukraine had a history of many Jewish people.

That's why it's always been saddening to read of anti-semitism in that part of the world.
Ukrainian Jews were constantly attacked and murdered by Russians - the pogroms.
https://www.history.com/topics/russia/pogroms

These were no small matters:
"As many as 1,000 Jews died at the hands of Greeks and Russians in the 1905 pogrom."

Those not killed were terrorized and their businesses sacked and many houses burned. It happened time after time.
The remaining Jews were murdered by the Nazis and the Romanians and Poles, etc.

"In 1941, while under Romanian control, 34,000 local Jews, over 100,000 Ukrainian Jews and 15,000 Romani people were massacred in response to a Soviet bombing of Romanian headquarters."

Whoever was left or resettled...most moved to Israel or elsewhere if they could. The USSR talked a good game (everyone is equal), but that wasn't the case.

Russia also "bussed in" Russian Nationals over the years (they did this to many of the separate peoples around the edges of their empire) and killed, starved or drove out the existing residents...and then, what do you know, they claimed that the area was Russian and spoke Russian! Amazing.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:53 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
He can do anything he wants to do. You see - Ukraine had nukes...gave them up due to promises from Russia and the world to protect their sovereignty. Well, now....we see what happens. Russia already grabbed the good port and tens of thousands are dead and wounded.

Putin will do what he wants. I don't think Ukraine currently has any rock-solid alliances which make it otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies