Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I wonder what the Liberal/Progressive residents of Wash Park will do when tent cities of homeless are set up in their backyards?

Good point, but let's be careful about suggesting anything like this, some of those pouting, whining Liberal/Progressives might complain you're "lashing out" at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Some current efforts:

““We’ll start to do moves right now,” Britta Fisher said Friday after Mayor Michael Hancock announced the new Department of Housing and Homelessness would be included in his 2020 budget proposal and that Fisher would lead it.”

https://denverite.com/2019/04/19/den...1EtRr5Teg4Xpgo

Old 04-24-2019, 12:43 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
At least dems are willing to address the issue and try for a solution.

Republican logic:

The economy is strong there is no homeless problem with trickle down economics. /IGNORE ISSUE /NEXT TOPIC ON WALL BUILDING

Old 04-24-2019, 12:48 PM

4,505 posts, read 1,860,989 times
Liberal news articles on homeless encampments are hilarious.

“Journalists” love to push the “good people on hard times” narrative by taking drugged out criminals at their word and printing these tall tales as truths...

“Mr Johnson was an Iraq war vet who recently lost his $150k/year job as an astrophysicist, he is eager to return to he workplace but has experienced difficulty getting a critical appointment with his doctor at the VA due to the failings and of the Trump administration......”

Yea, sure....

Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 PM

4,505 posts, read 1,860,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach50 View Post
at least dems are willing to address the issue and try for a solution.

Republican logic:

The economy is strong there is no homeless problem with trickle down economics. /ignore issue /next topic on wall building
free houses and drugs for everyone!!

Old 04-24-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People are unfortunately still doing it there today. People with homes.

Homeless drug-addicts have been trashing ~3,000 miles of the banks of the Ohio River for decades.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
free houses and drugs for everyone!!
"Injection zones must be part of our anti-drug strategy. Here’s why [that house shouldn't be Nancy's or Chuck's next door neighbor.]

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2019/03/i...editorial.html

Old 04-24-2019, 01:11 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Homeless drug-addicts have been trashing ~3,000 miles of the banks of the Ohio River for decades.
I covered that already.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:18 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I live in Denver and have seen more and more visible homeless over the years. I think that the opioid crisis plays a big role in this increase as did the leagalization of marijuana in CO. I don’t think people necessarlily moved to Colorado because they want easier access to marijuana because it’s something that’s easy to get almost anywhere, legall or not but due to the perception that CO is more liberal and tolerant in regards to drugs.

Camps will sprout up, usually along rivers and or along busy roadways and will get out of control before being cleared, which just means the homeless will then move to another location and new camps will sprout up. The camps that I’ve seen are filthy. Human waste and needles create a very real public health hazard.

The ACLU has made it difficult to enforce things like camping bans. Many cities find themselves in a situation where their hands are tied. They don’t have the money to fight the ACLU if they are sued and they don’t have the funds to adequately address the homeless issue.

I think it might be worth considering having a legal, regulated campsite (where exactly, I don’t know) that allows people to camp in exchange for helping keep the camp clean. Maybe even a small nightly fee. It would at least help address some of the public health issues with having access to bathrooms and regular trash service.
Now THAT (the bolded) I could live with, as long as it is not in an existing park (like the OP suggested) and that it is not a family type of neighborhood. And, yes, there are plenty of undeveloped areas within 20 miles of Denver, not just in the southwest metro area.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:23 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Now THAT (the bolded) I could live with, as long as it is not in an existing park (like the OP suggested) and that it is not a family type of neighborhood. And, yes, there are plenty of undeveloped areas within 20 miles of Denver, not just in the southwest metro area.
I think of industrial areas on the edges, away from residential neighborhoods but not far from bus lines, but then again, this is all private land so may not ever be possible. I have no idea if it would work though. Denver did the Tiny Home Villages for the homeless and people fought tooth and nail to keep them out of thier neighborhoods. I think those were impractical overall though. Cute I suppose but you can do more with a more permanent campsite with a building for restrooms with shower and bathroom stalls and community kitchen. I think of it as a hostel for campers as it would make sense to charge a small fee for campers plus have them volunteer some time as a condition of being able to stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies