Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:57 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How many percentage points has it declined since he came into office? It has declined less than 1% in 2.25 years, so there is nothing magical about it.
Combined with lowering the labor participation rate? Seriously?

Has your personal economy not been good? Is that what this is about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 10:57 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Why so focused on the DJIA? What about other metrics for our economy? How about oil production? Unemployment rate? Welfare recipients? Food stamps, Medicaid, and SSDI are all down significant amounts under Trump as well. Over 3 million people have gotten jobs and become self sufficient enough to no longer need SNAP alone.
Job creation slowed, which was expected since unemployment was already low when he took office. Everything has continued the same track, even oil production. We have been talking about US being on the verge of becoming the largest producer years before Trump, so he does not deserve credit for things already in motion. He does deserve credit for driving debt through the roof, because that is a direct result of his policies, as is the trade war and the need to bail out people hurt by it.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:03 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The DOW was 24.7K+ at the very start of 2018, a week after the Tax "Reform" was signed and the approx. date when the giveaways (mostly to corporations) started.

It's been 16 months and we are at 26.5K, a total of a 7% gain.

The DOW 5 year average is 10.3% and the 10 year average is 16.1% PER YEAR.....

Yet after blowing up the deficit, corporate welfare and the supposed placement of more money into ALL our pockets, the rise is 5% per year since. 1/2 or 1/3rd of the former numbers.

Why did the "Tax Reform" not only fail to goose the economy, but actually do the complete opposite? Does Mr. Market now reward fiscal prudence (paying down the deficit, not giving free money away) and therefore frown on the old Santa Claus (a politician giving gifts) theory???

I expect we will get some rise out of earning season (now), but it would take vast numbers to meet or beat the averages...even my conservative accounts have made close to those Dow averages over a decade...or much longer in some cases.
Oye. Why are you starting with 2018? Don't you know that the stock market is a leading indicator, and the big run-up started the morning after he was elected (and continued for more than a year) in ANTICIPATION of his tax cuts?

I was up 35% the first year or so after Trump won, and the modest gains (7% or so) on top of that has been gravy.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:03 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:

LFPR is lower than before? That's not good. I thought it was pretty much unchanged.

Nah, I checked. Its pretty much the same (63).

Personally I was hit with a massive tax hike, and I see the price of consumer goods going up, including gasoline. Combine that with sub-average stock market, so there isn't much to celebrate economy wise.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:06 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,381 times
You may not know this but the market is usually forward looking. It predicted tax cuts, hence the run up before the bill passed. It got a bit ahead of its skis and the fed raising rates 4 or 5 times in 18 helped bring capitulation at the end of the year. Great buying opportunity was presented

Old 04-23-2019, 11:08 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Debt is skyrocketing with Trump spending on FREE STUFF on someone else's credit card.
thank God we have liberals to take over...free healthcare, free college, universal income ...sounds cheap huh?

Old 04-23-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
2018 was a terrible year for the stock market. Lets hope 2019 is better.

We are only now getting back to the Jan 2018 highs, 16 months later.
The January 2018 highs was too far, too fast - a BIG run-up of about 35%!(depending on which index you use) within the first 14 months after Trump was elected. I'm glad it found more realistic footing, and the fact that we are back there now - only a year and a half later - is amazing.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:12 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,629 times
Quote:

you can keep arguing with this guy until you are blue in the face. he will never admit to trump doing anything positive. its what TDS does to you. don't waste your time.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
LFPR is lower than before? That's not good. I thought it was pretty much unchanged.

Personally I was hit with a massive tax hike, and I see the price of consumer goods going up, including gasoline. Combine that with sub-average stock market, so there isn't much to celebrate economy wise.
Sub-average stock market? Who do you think you're kidding? I've made so much in the market since November 2016 that it more than covers my outrageous Obamacare premiums, with enough left over for a Mediterranean cruise this summer.

P.S. As I type this, we are up another 160 points, with 27,000 in shooting range.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,629 times
Quote:

things may not be perfect but this take is delusional and quite frankly, insane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies