Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:41 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Good for you, because the market pretty much the same level as it was in October. In 7 months you have managed to claw your way back to where you were.
Wrong.

It's a new account so it is all growth at this point.

Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 11:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, the old "it's snowing so Global Warming isn't happening" comment!

Maybe you didn't read my post. I predict the market will go up based on strong corporate earning this quarter.

What I was giving was rather long period.....well over a year, where the rise is less than 40% of normal.....

Can you explain that?
The DJIA is up almost 50% since the election. That's pretty impressive especially when you look at how stagnant it was for the last several years under Obama. He did a good job getting us out of that mess but we were stuck in low gear. We needed a fresh start, and Trump gave us it.

No, a year is not a "rather long" period as far as the stock market goes.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:42 AM

21,934 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
401k investors have done very well since Trump took office. 2018 was not 'terrible' as you say.
And even if it was down, it was because of the fact that they were unwinding what they had to do with smoke and mirrors to keep the market from crashing during the Obama years.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Auch! Harley Davidson took a 27% hit in profit due to trade war. I smell a bail-out in their near future.

Trump said he will hike taxes on American consumer to counter it.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
$5 says that OP doesn’t own one dime in the stock market.

Just a hunch....
Sorta like my hunch that maybe you were banned and now are back with a new account here??? Not many people with that low of a rep and post count here who make such bold predictions.

Although my investments are my own business, I can give the percentages.....over time....just to make the point that this "amazing economy" is anything but. I have been investing since the early 1980's and been through every bull and bear market since. I have invested monthly for decades (auto-laddering into Fidelity and Vanguard).

This may come as a surprise, but people who work for themselves for 40 years (own companies) generally put money aside...those are the very basics of financial security!

These are 5, 10 and "since inception", although Fidelity and other online brokers don't have the ancient records.....only on paper......

+10.47% +14.25% +10.65% 01/31/2003

Based on the above, some of the conclusions you can come to:

1. The DOW and I did about exactly the same (the since 2003 number).

2. When a 10 year window is figured, which obviously includes both Obama and the results of the decent economy he handed to Trump, the figure is MUCH higher than the 5% of the last 16 months and/or the 5 year which includes all of Trump...and some of Obama.

The point stands....even MORE because my larger point is that the blowing up of the Deficit wasn't needed and was plain wrong. In a strong economy you are supposed to pay down debt, not borrow more.

So even WITH all the free money (Trillion dollar deficits into the far future, no matter who we elect now)....the Market sux since the date of that tax cut.....

If you want to actually address a point, let's hear it - why did the tax cut result in BOTH a lower-then-usual market and blowing up the Deficit?

Old 04-23-2019, 11:48 AM

39,877 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Auch! Harley Davidson took a 27% hit in profit due to trade war. I smell a bail-out in their near future.

Trump said he will hike taxes on American consumer to counter it.
Harley is taking a hit, in large part, because they make a sub-par product. Even their new bikes have more reliability issues than most manufacturers. Significant rebuilds by 50k miles are not uncommon-while most other makers are good for 100-200k miles. (they do have an outstanding paint and chrome shop). The have refused to innovate, embrace technology and come out with exciting new products. Indian is (in it's newest incarnation) a new company and continues to take sales from HD-and has brought out some bikes with current-generation technology. The FTR has all the modern bells and whistles, with throttle modes, lean angle sensitive ABS, multimode traction control, TFT display and reasonably competitive power output (though far from class-leading).

Old 04-23-2019, 11:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Harley is taking a hit, in large part, because they make a sub-par product. Even their new bikes have more reliability issues than most manufacturers. Significant rebuilds by 50k miles are not uncommon-while most other makers are good for 100-200k miles.
You are saying the quality of their product suddenly went bad

Old 04-23-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The DJIA is up almost 50% since the election. That's pretty impressive especially when you look at how stagnant it was for the last several years under Obama. He did a good job getting us out of that mess but we were stuck in low gear. We needed a fresh start, and Trump gave us it.

No, a year is not a "rather long" period as far as the stock market goes.
16 months is a middling amount of time...AND, if you read my OP, you know that the very point is that this is the time SINCE the tax cut. The Deficit was blown up for the next decade or more...to give well below normal market returns?

As far as "since the election", unless Trump was somehow operating a time machine he surely couldn't have goosed the economy in the year or two or three before that...which would be what it would take to create growth.....

Just as Obama had zero to do with the Great Recession, Trump had zero to do with the slow and steady recovery from 2009 until now.....

Rather, his signature economic policy is the TAX CUT. That is why I am using the timeline since.

It's basic common sense. If I hand a business over to you that has been making profits day-in and day out for 7 years, you will likely make money the first year or two. It's AFTER that when your own actions will start to come into play.

Ask yourself why Trump pressured the Fed to stop normalizing?? Why did he blow up the Deficit? These are not things you do when the "money is rolling in".....you do the opposite!

Old 04-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
And even if it was down, it was because of the fact that they were unwinding what they had to do with smoke and mirrors to keep the market from crashing during the Obama years.
So, let me get this straight. You think tax cuts from deficit - in good times - AND, pressure on the Fed to stop normalizing interest rates...this is NOT "smoke and mirrors" ????

That's fantastic.

"Stop the market from crashing".....interesting! The market DID crash and our economy crashed. It's as if you never heard of Great Recession.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, the old "it's snowing so Global Warming isn't happening" comment!

Maybe you didn't read my post. I predict the market will go up based on strong corporate earning this quarter.

What I was giving was rather long period.....well over a year, where the rise is less than 40% of normal.....

Can you explain that?
October last year was a weird month. WWE despite being at 90 months earlier dropped to $73 or so for no foreseeable reason. Other stocks took a considerable tumble too. I see people say it was a minor set back and others say it was something more.

What I do think will happen is we will likely see an economic slowdown soon. Wages aren't keeping up with rising costs. Gasoline has shot up due to the whole refinery fire and we will see that effect other prices when it comes to trucking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies