Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:29 PM

25,388 posts, read 17,061,067 times

Advertisements

Well, Hillary, at least he was IN the history book.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 PM

18,544 posts, read 7,294,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Historically it is documented that Trump's critics said he was mentally ill and racist.

That is fact -- it isn't opinion. The opinion that he was mentally ill and racist were opinions but reporting that those were some of the criticisms against him isn't an opinion it is fact.

The author of the text book documented what Trump critics said.
And he added his own stupid opinion that was at odds with the facts. The author called Trump an extremist when Trump is as moderate as anyone could possibly be.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:11 AM

19,577 posts, read 9,110,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Reread the passages. The book describes the sentiment and the concerns in some segments of the population. The author does not in any way (in the selected passages in that article) refer to Trump as mentally ill or state that they (the author) have some sort of belief in or evidence of Trump's mental illness.

This is why reading comprehension should be given more attention in schools.
I agree with this 100%.

I dislike Trump as I have said numerous times before, but I thought the passages quoted were accurate, and that the writer was just reporting facts. S/he did not say that Trump was unstable or racist, but that this was the perception of many people -- which is, in fact, true.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:21 AM

18,544 posts, read 7,294,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I agree with this 100%.

I dislike Trump as I have said numerous times before, but I thought the passages quoted were accurate, and that the writer was just reporting facts. S/he did not say that Trump was unstable or racist, but that this was the perception of many people -- which is, in fact, true.
Give me a break. Why didn't tell us about the perceptions of others who disagreed with those lunatics?

Old 05-04-2019, 06:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,871,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
So then, there should be a section about Crooked Hillary for sure, right?
That's the thing --- the site that wrote about the Trump stuff isn't going to report even if there is.

Unless any of us have seen the textbook ourselves -- we don't know.

AND AGAIN

Let's point out the facts. The author isn't calling Trump mentally ill --- he said that many of Clinton supporters said that of him. And that is spot on. They also called him a racist and still do.

You may not like it -- but they do say those things. And yet he still won.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:59 AM

2,180 posts, read 635,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I agree with this 100%.

What a disingenuous deflection.

"Many people" also believe Obama was a traitor and unAmerican. "Many people" think Hillary Clinton is an opportunistic shill. "Many people" think a ton of things. "Many people" think all sorts of things.

The opinions of "Many people" shouldn't be presented in a text book unless it's a section specifically devoted to airing the opinions of "many people" opposed to the individual in question.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:11 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
New High School Textbook Describes Trump as Mentally Ill, Supporters as Racist

https://www.toddstarnes.com/campus/n...TBpiaaIkPuUh9c

“Most thought that Trump was too extreme a candidate to win the nomination, but his extremism, his anti-establishment rhetoric, and, some said, his not very hidden racism connected with a significant number of primary voters,” the author wrote....
We're all a little crazy and racist. It's only natural. School boards can dump the books they don't like.

NEXT!

Old 05-04-2019, 07:15 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,695,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Give me a break. Why didn't tell us about the perceptions of others who disagreed with those lunatics?
How do you know that they didn't? Because that part wasn't mentioned in a right-winger's blog post?

Old 05-04-2019, 07:17 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,824,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
When was she informed of that. I mean, does she even know yet, what happened ?

Last I remember she was running around in the woods with a whiskey bottle in one hand and hammer in the other. Looking for blackberries. I guess that's the way they pick them in la la land.

No, that was me. It was tequila, not whisky. And it was a sword, not a hammer. And I was looking for gooseberries, not blackberries.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,695,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
What a disingenuous deflection.

"Many people" also believe Obama was a traitor and unAmerican. "Many people" think Hillary Clinton is an opportunistic shill. "Many people" think a ton of things. "Many people" think all sorts of things.

The opinions of "Many people" shouldn't be presented in a text book unless it's a section specifically devoted to airing the opinions of "many people" opposed to the individual in question.
I think the textbooks should talk about how "many people" (including Donald Trump...) insisted Obama was born in Kenya and that they pitched a huge fit about someone who might have been born in Kenya (and who was proven NOT to have been born in Kenya) becoming President. Then they should add that many of those exact same people went on to vote for Ted Cruz (who was born in Canada; that fact was never up for dispute)in the primaries. Then the assignment should be to ask the high school students why they think there was that double standard... why did people think that an American citizen who was hypothetically born in Kenya (even though he wasn't) should not be allowed to be POTUS but an American citizen actually born in Canada should be? I'd be interested to see what reasons they come up with. What could the difference possibly have been?

Actually, I have little doubt that that sort of thing WILL be in the history books.

Of course there are many parts of history books that talk about what "many people" think. Haven't you ever read a history book? People's opinions shape history. Many people thought Hitler was a great leader. Many people resisted the industrial revolution. Many people agreed with Nixon even after he resigned a shamed man. Many people thought the JFK assassination was an inside job. Many people thought that redheads were witches and burned them at the stake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies