Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I'd like to see more of us with political power, more of us in power in corporations, good quality schools for black students. A check is nice, but too much red tape depending on who it's coming from.

I think the primary topic of ADOS is wealth accumulation.

IMO that should also be a primary goal of black Americans today. With an organization, we can pool resources and have black corporations/investors invest in markets and give all those who contributed "a check" for reparations.

This would take a lot of administration to get started though and I don't feel that current voices or many of the lay persons involved have the wherewithal or knowledge to accomplish something like this. However, they do have the big mouths and if they changed their topics from one focused on begging white folks/government to demanding black people help ourselves, they could and will make movement in regards to the wealth "gaps" they are always talking about.

Investing with black investment companies/agents (there are many of them who have a great track record) and investing in buying up properties in areas targeted for gentrification would make a HUGE difference in black America in regards to wealth building and it could do so directly and much quicker than the federal government (which I doubt could even raise the wealth status of black families anyway - private/commercial exchange is how you build wealth - not government).

Old 05-07-2019, 09:34 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
The amount in reparations would be in the trillions for the pain and suffering. Its a non starter. A better way to tackle black poverty would be things like universal healthcare and UBI.

It's a non starter because this is a democratic white majority nation....and majority rules, unless representatives act against the interest of the majority they represent. We are already TRILLIONS in debt and likely will never pay that back. Whats another 4 or more trillions to add to what we are never going to pay back?

Universal healthcare is a "rising tide raises all ships" solution that ignores that some of the boats are damaged and taking water. Ergo, the "Black vessel" needs to be TARGETED for for repair like it was targeted to be torpedoed.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:35 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wanted to note, I've watched quite a few of the videos of ADOS.

I actually do agree with a lot of what they state, but I feel that the gist of the movement is that they are invested in a black inferiority complex - something that is akin to them embracing the white supremacy ideology.

Evidence of this is:

1 - not believing black people can acquire wealth today now that barriers our ancestors faced have been reduced

2 - believing that we need government to "give" us something

This entire movement IMO is primarily based on

1 - begging for reparations instead of investing in our communities and building our own wealth (it is time we do this)

2 - encouraging black people not to vote in the election based on reparations

On the #2 above, if you go to ADOS' website they actually quote Trump on their home page and for me that is very telling about the goal of the organization.

IMO many of our young people who refuse to read and learn about the previous struggles and movements in black America to see that this is just re-hashing of the same things we've always done - they are just buying into the begging because they also are invested in an inferior view of them/ourselves based on them being reared in a country that relegates blackness as inferior to all others in this nation.

The best way to make us better is to take care of our own. For them to actually trust any political candidate to do what they say and not just talk sh*t to get the ADOS folks to vote for them is ridiculous. I think a lot of younger black people will note vote because of the ADOS foolishness.
I have also thought the same thing,this is why I don't support ados. I support some sort of reparations. But the vocal rhetoric coming from ados community is no different than white racist and white supremacist. Not for nothing ados is causing a huge rift within the black community. When you have people who follow ados and start unfriending people because they are jamaican or African, or break up with a boyfriend because he is an afro Dominican is really troubling and shows ados comes not from logic but from emotion. Since ados comes from emotion, ados comes from a position of weakness and a position of victim.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:52 AM

24,631 posts, read 9,458,962 times
As an African American, it's insulting and racist to think Blacks need extra handouts from the government tit in order to prosper in society. The Ben Carsons and Barack Obamas didn't need reparations and neither does anyone else.

If you don't like America you are more than welcome to purchase a passport, fly to an African country, and seek asylum from evil America.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:58 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Several of these "black" movements are being controlled by racists white people (not all white people) with a black face being put out in front.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:39 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It's a non starter because this is a democratic white majority nation....
I think you are going to be very disappointed. Also UH and UBI will do alot for the black community fight for those. Those policies actually have a chance of passing.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:03 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Several of these "black" movements are being controlled by racists white people (not all white people) with a black face being put out in front.
What are some examples, in your opinion?

Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Please stop spreading false information. Black immigrants and other recent blacks are not seeking anything. If anything, the majority of us believe that ADOS should have received reparations.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:55 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
As an African American, it's insulting and racist to think Blacks need extra handouts from the government tit in order to prosper in society. The Ben Carsons and Barack Obamas didn't need reparations and neither does anyone else.

If you don't like America you are more than welcome to purchase a passport, fly to an African country, and seek asylum from evil America.
As an ADOS centrist, I'm not OPPOSED to reparations, but I'd be more interested in seeing them in the form of land, better schooling, etc. Not that there's something wrong with a check, but it's not my priority.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:59 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
As an ADOS centrist, I'm not OPPOSED to reparations, but I'd be more interested in seeing them in the form of land, better schooling, etc. Not that there's something wrong with a check, but it's not my priority.
Better schooling should certainly be a priority as should making sure every American gets access to healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies