Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 06:19 AM

78,396 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
very good idea...…… I've been looking for some quality made in America furniture for some time now. The only one I know of is amish………...don't like their style however......
Go talk to them then. They'll make you whatever you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
It depends on what stories are amplified and why. If you put the muggings and the attempted robberies and the homeless camps on the news, front pages, and local magazine covers, and leave out the overwhelming number of good things that happen in that city, you paint an dishonest picture of that place in order to serve an agenda.

Same thing leftists do to the country. Same thing leftists do with the cops.

Would you live in the city of Baltimore, in what the leftist media reports to be a high crime neighborhood? I can guarantee you that the overwhelming majority of people in that neighborhood are not violent criminals.....but I can BET that you would not live there and one of the reason would be your FEAR of crime, regardless of the fact that only a small percentage of people are doing the shootings and robberies.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Driving while black"

No doubt this happens quite a bit. I have had a few black physician partners who have been pulled over for "driving while black". Of course, this is not just or fair. They made the mistake of driving expensive cars, which screamed out "drug dealer" instead of "doctor". Ironically, I would assume that a beater car would invite the same, perhaps more, attention.

However, I have had a few patients who were black cops. I asked them about profiling and they said that of course they profile- statistically young black males commit the most crime so they pull them over all the time. Each said that I would be surprised at what they found in these stops. The Highway Patrol guys said that most of their drug stops in I-80 are pulling over black or Hispanic guys in beat up cars that look "out of place".

In contrast, the cops said they would rarely, if ever, pull me over, as I drive a new vehicle and am white with grey hair. I used to get pulled over all the time when I was a kid in highschool, as I was driving a beater car and was driving in areas up to "no good"- just not actually caught in the act. So the cops had the right intuition. I would assume that some of that is their approach to lower income people, but with an emphasis on profiling against blacks and Hispanics.

Certainly not what one who perceives the world as "just" wants to hear or acknowledge, but it is our current reality.

Black people are racist against black people all the time. Americans, in general, are conditioned to be racist against black people. Black cops can often treat blacks just as bad as white cops do....especially when they are trying to "fit in" to the police culture, which seems inherently, anti-black.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Nah bruh....keep kidding yourself. I am not saying that this is exclusive to black people....but its much more common occurrence with blacks than others.
I have never been pulled over for a traffic violation. If I were to be pulled over at some future date, for something like a wide turn, I would be very surprised if I would be expected to get out of the car and cuffed, while LE did their thing.

That the officer felt compelled to ask this cuffed young man about his negative view of the Police says much about the officer.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have never been pulled over for a traffic violation. If I were to be pulled over at some future date, for something like a wide turn, I would be very surprised if I would be expected to get out of the car and cuffed, while LE did their thing.

That the officer felt compelled to ask this cuffed young man about his negative view of the Police says much about the officer.

Yes. The officers attitude was disturbing. They seem to have convinced themselves that what they were doing to this young man was ultimately for HIS benefit?. It's a classic example of cognitive dissonance.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
IS - you really think these officers would have acted differently toward a non-ADOS black person? Somehow I doubt these two chuckleheads are that racially nuanced, but I might be wrong.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
IS - you really think these officers would have acted differently toward a non-ADOS black person? Somehow I doubt these two chuckleheads are that racially nuanced, but I might be wrong.

Here is the thing. We are all the time hearing statistics about black crime. One of the officers was even mentioning statistics when speaking with the mother of the young man detained by police. Hence, people highly aware of statistics, consciously or subconsciously, are likely going to see black people as more likely to be criminal and dangerous than a white person. Thus, while I do not think such behavior is exclusive for blacks, I do believe that it is endemic with blacks.

There are studies that show a good percentage of whites hold some degree or racial bias. Is it unreasonable to suggest, therefore, that the police force would be reflective of this general propensity and that the actions of some officers are indeed influenced by race?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:45 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Nah bruh....keep kidding yourself. I am not saying that this is exclusive to black people....but its much more common occurrence with blacks than others.
While I believe some blacks bring on severe reaction from police by simply not complying with instructions, I also agree that young black males are "targeted" by bigoted police with an agenda.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
While I believe some blacks bring on severe reaction from police by simply not complying with instructions, I also agree that young black males are "targeted" by bigoted police with an agenda.

But what if these young men did not comply with instructions? Saying that people are not complying with instructions does not make it the fault of driver.....when the instructions are unjust. Some times you are having a bad day....and you are just tired and don't feel like putting up with BS from police.....or jack boys for that matter. If the jack boys ask you to "run it"....you might not comply because you are just not taking slit no more that day. It's not really their fault if they get shot by the robber. Same thing holds with police like in the videos. They were in the wrong and if their wrong actions created bad reactions that lead to police shooting.....its really the police at fault.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-25-2019 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 AM

Also....just think of what was going on BEFORE police had cameras on. These officers knew full well that they were recording and hence played to the camera. In the past you could get a beat down for nothing and the police would say you were resisting or attacked them. Hence, you know slit was way worse when there were no cameras around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies