Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:20 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times

Advertisements

It sounds to me as though your whole life was predetermined and ruined before you were born and nothing in the world can change that, except the US throwing several trillion dollars at you.

There is something known as "probabilities". Study it. I am not saying that anyone is destined to do or be anything. What I am saying is that certain situations can and do influence probabilities. Probabilities do not guarantee which people, it just mathematically determines what percentage will likely.

If you are a soldier and your platoon is going to engage an enemy position the next day....probabilities of the SITUATION are that somebody may get killed or injured, just by the nature of the situation. You can't say or predict who that will be.....but the situation is such that it will happen to one or more peoples. Hence, when you are in certain situation, it does not mean that you are destined to succumb, but that the situation is such that somebody(s) will succumb.

Expect nothing good or of any value to happen to you in your life, as the money and fortune fairies are never going to drop a load of Leprechaun gold on your doorstep. If they did, some racist would steal it anyway, so it is hopeless.

Ohhh...I see. The ole..."go to the extreme" straw man fallacy.

I was born very low income- I am thankful that I did not seek to blame anyone, but worked hard, got a good education and am very well to do with no financial worries.

Were you born black? What happened to blacks went far beyond money. The impact was geographical, physical, cultural, psychological, social, economical, etc. Hence, just saying that you were "poor" is hardly putting yourself in the shoes of blacks.

It's time to stop blaming others and blame yourself for your lot in life. Man up- move along. Slavery ended 170 years ago. For you, it would not matter if it ended 10,000 years ago- you would still blame it. You have found a comfortable refuge in the slavery rationalization to justify failure and are happy with it. If you were white, it would be something else.

I don't blame anyone. I just know that all actions produce reactions and your argument presupposes that white racist actions reverberated no lasting reactions that have transcended time and space. I will move on when its no longer true.....not based upon some arbitrary statute of limitation designed by YOU for YOU.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-25-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 04:05 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Another thing Americans need, furniture. Working class buys furniture that's made in China. Everything that's still made in America is out of reach for most people now, there's no competition between the ones that are left so they can charge whatever the hell they want. But how did Walmart get successful, how did Aldi?
Aldi, and Trader Joe's, relied on German entrepreneurship, concentrating on giving real value to customers, with brutal efficiency on how they operate. As example only one manager for 5 stores. They buy local as much as they can. On many items, they can be 30% less than Walmart, yet people still shop Walmart and even a Publix.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
These videos pi$$ed me off.

First video:

Yes, he did make a wide right turn. If the cops were going to pull over everyone who made these wide, right turns, they would do nothing else than pull people over for making wide, right turns, all day, every day. Yes, it's a violation, but it happens all day long, no matter where you live. But, fine, I'll give them that he did make that wide, right turn.

*They approach, his hands are on the steering wheel. I do the same thing.
*They tell him why they pulled him over. I hear the same thing.
*They ask him if he has any weapons in the vehicle. I get asked the same thing.
*They ask him if he has any drugs in the car. I never get asked that. At this point, I'm usually asked where I'm coming from and where I'm headed.
*They tell him to step out of the vehicle. Why? It was a wide, right turn, why does he need to step out of the vehicle? Did they run the plates before approach the car? Did they see the car was registered to someone else? Why did they not say that was the reason, if it was?
*They start searching his vehicle. He clearly tells them he does not give them permission to search his vehicle, they do it anyway. That is against his Constitutional rights. They do NOT have the right to search based on him making a wide, right turn. They did not inform him that they know the car was registered to someone else, if that was even their reason.
*They bring a dog. Again, it's against his Constitutional rights. He did not give them permission to search the car.
*Dog marks the car. On what? There was nothing.
*They tell the kid that they are recording and his attitude before a jury will be seen. WTF even is that? What jury? For what reason?
*Mom shows up. They mention how lucky it is for her that this whole thing is recorded. She says, "No, it's lucky for YOU." Cop gets incensed.

At that point, I had to turn it off because I was too pi$$ed to watch the rest of it.

Second video:

*NEVER told the guy why he was pulled over.
*Went straight to "Is this your car?"
*Guy tells him its a rental, his car is in the shop.
*Cop repeatedly asks if it's his car, does he have any weapons, and then asks "How do you turn it on?" SERIOUSLY?
*Tells him to get out of the car.
*Still hasn't told him why he was pulled over in the first place, pretends he has told the guy "3 times now" why he has to get out of the car. Um, no, he did not.
*Claims he sees whatever he said about marijuana on the floor of the car. Oh really? You can "see" tiny pieces of marijuana on the floor of the car at dusk, when 2 legs and 2 feet are pretty much obscuring the entire driver's side of the floor of the car? He "sees" marijuana dust or pieces? BS.

And at that point, I was too pi$$ed to watch the rest of it.

It is very evident, especially on the 2nd video, that they were profiling. Claiming that the actions of these drivers, looking back at the cop who was searching the car, in video 1, and some horse crap about how they were acting in the second car made the cop think the passenger had a gun, in video 2. Such utter BS.

How these guys managed to remain calm is astounding. I don't think I could remain that calm if I was accused of having drugs when I don't, accused of "acting like" I had a gun on me - how does that appear? How does one "act" like they have a gun? And I sure as hell would not remain calm if I had to tell the cop, 3 fricken times that it was a rental car. Why didn't the cop just ask for the damn papers - the rental agreement?

And I sure as hell would not have remained calm had I been ordered out of my vehicle for no probable cause, had my vehicle searched against my will - a violation of Constitutional rights - and then put in handcuffs on the side of the road - being told that I'm not arrested, but being detained, and that the reason I'm in cuffs is because the officer doesn't want to chase after me if I run because he's tired after having to chase someone the night before. There is no way I would have remained calm. You can "detain" people without putting fricken handcuffs on them.

These officers are full of sh t. They need to be fired. I say that as someone who really hates it when the first thing people go to is, "they need to be fired" when someone says something they don't like, or does something they don't like, but in this case, these officers violated these guys' Constitutional rights, and that never sits well with me regardless of their pi$$ poor excuses as to why they did that.

"He's acting like he has a gun, that's why we're nervous." No, jackhead, tell them why they were pulled over, ask for the rental agreement, compare it with his ID, issue a citation if you want, but everything else was a huge, heaping pile of male cow excrement.

Is this really that common? Hard to say. How someone perceives things doesn't make it reality, but the fact is, in these two cases, it was definitely profiling by pi$$ poor excuses for "officers of the law".

I have multiple friends in a number of police forces, although most are now retired. They too are sickened what has become the militarization of many forces, the lack of work ethics, and not knowing their people they in the neighborhoods like they used to.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:35 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Every teenage boy needs a good butt kicking whether it’s words or physical from a male they respect or the cops end up doing it. Or they just become an insufferable twit their entire life.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:15 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It sounds to me as though your whole life was predetermined and ruined before you were born and nothing in the world can change that, except the US throwing several trillion dollars at you.

There is something known as "probabilities". Study it. I am not saying that anyone is destined to do or be anything. What I am saying is that certain situations can and do influence probabilities. Probabilities do not guarantee which people, it just mathematically determines what percentage will likely.

If you are a soldier and your platoon is going to engage an enemy position the next day....probabilities of the SITUATION are that somebody may get killed or injured, just by the nature of the situation. You can't say or predict who that will be.....but the situation is such that it will happen to one or more peoples. Hence, when you are in certain situation, it does not mean that you are destined to succumb, but that the situation is such that somebody(s) will succumb.

Expect nothing good or of any value to happen to you in your life, as the money and fortune fairies are never going to drop a load of Leprechaun gold on your doorstep. If they did, some racist would steal it anyway, so it is hopeless.

Ohhh...I see. The ole..."go to the extreme" straw man fallacy.

I was born very low income- I am thankful that I did not seek to blame anyone, but worked hard, got a good education and am very well to do with no financial worries.

Were you born black? What happened to blacks went far beyond money. The impact was geographical, physical, cultural, psychological, social, economical, etc. Hence, just saying that you were "poor" is hardly putting yourself in the shoes of blacks.

It's time to stop blaming others and blame yourself for your lot in life. Man up- move along. Slavery ended 170 years ago. For you, it would not matter if it ended 10,000 years ago- you would still blame it. You have found a comfortable refuge in the slavery rationalization to justify failure and are happy with it. If you were white, it would be something else.

I don't blame anyone. I just know that all actions produce reactions and your argument presupposes that white racist actions reverberated no lasting reactions that have transcended time and space. I will move on when its no longer true.....not based upon some arbitrary statute of limitation designed by YOU for YOU.

The time that you will "move along" is never, as you have convinced yourself that you are a victim and will never achieve your goals, not because of any personal failings, but due to perceived actions of others.

Every failure needs an excuse, as introspection and facing the facts can be painful.

If I was "born black" I would have been entitled to quotas, additional scholarships, and admission to schools that otherwise would have rejected me. Look at Obama- there is no way in hell he should have been admitted to Columbia or Harvard, but got in because he was black.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:42 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The time that you will "move along" is never, as you have convinced yourself that you are a victim and will never achieve your goals, not because of any personal failings, but due to perceived actions of others.

Every failure needs an excuse, as introspection and facing the facts can be painful.

If I was "born black" I would have been entitled to quotas, additional scholarships, and admission to schools that otherwise would have rejected me. Look at Obama- there is no way in hell he should have been admitted to Columbia or Harvard, but got in because he was black.

Well, you are probably right about the never part.....because I think it will take generations more to undo the damages that were generations in the making. A people can't recover from 300 years of racial oppression, still live in the land of their oppression, still live with the race of people who were their oppressors....and expect a quick recovery, especially in a majority rule political construct where the oppressing race is the majority and still racist, just not as racist as they have been in the past.

Everything happens for a reason. It's called cause and effect. Every failure has a reason. Either the reason one provides is a valid or invalid. I don't use emotional terms like "excuse". I don't understand what that means in the context of validity and invalidity.

If you were born black we would not be having this debate.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Every teenage boy needs a good butt kicking whether it’s words or physical from a male they respect or the cops end up doing it. Or they just become an insufferable twit their entire life.
Seems to me the young teenage boy in this case as well behaved. Did you not see that?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:45 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Seems to me the young teenage boy in this case as well behaved. Did you not see that?
I believe that yeah. For sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies