Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

That's the nature of the beast. It's a similar thing with academia. In a free market society, academia and the media will lean to the left since the nature of those career paths generally lead a person towards a progressive worldview. That's just something that happens when people are exposed to a wide variety of cultures, worldviews, lifestyles, etc. But many of the institutions that people view as the backbone of our society lean to the right. Institutions such as the church, the military, the police, and the corporate world lean to the right. In a free market society, it will always be that way.

To force the media to become more conservative or the right-wing institutions to become more progressive would require government intervention that would be unconstitutional and would amount to tyranny.

Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:05 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
That's the nature of the beast. It's a similar thing with academia. In a free market society, academia and the media will lean to the left since the nature of those career paths generally lead a person towards a progressive worldview. That's just something that happens when people are exposed to a wide variety of cultures, worldviews, lifestyles, etc. But many of the institutions that people view as the backbone of our society lean to the right. Institutions such as the church, the military, the police, and the corporate world lean to the right. In a free market society, it will always be that way.

To force the media to become more conservative or the right-wing institutions to become more progressive would require government intervention that would be unconstitutional and would amount to tyranny.

Agree or disagree?

How about they just be unbiased? Is that too much to ask?

Old 04-24-2019, 09:06 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
There's something that right-wingers fail to understand when they complain about the media. In general, individual reporters generally tend to lean left, but try to control their biases, but the media corporations generally tend to lean right.

But, yes, it seems to be true that more educated people lean left, which I suppose must be interpreted as meaning that their clearer understanding indicates that left is the way to go.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I would say CNN has done a pretty good job of that. They do lean to the left but not as much as conservatives like to think they do. They ran the piece about how Obama didn't look good after the Mueller report either. As an open minded progressive I can accept that. Obama was a failure in many ways. There was much I liked about him, particularly on social issues, but there was a lot that he absolutely f'ed up on.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:22 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I agree, they are damned blatantly obvious. Hard news without left leaning spin is hard to come by.

I'm not even really mad at the commentators on CNN and msnbc because I expect it now, same with Foxx, but I do want straight down the middle news when it comes to actual news. Again, editorial and commentary are separate.

I wish people would stop using the term liberal when left is probably more accurate.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
I will just say it is danged annoying that I have to spend so much time seeking out truth because you cannot depend on the mainstream media to simply report facts without so much spin.

Just start with the last election itself where reporters at CNN failed to call the election when clearly it was over and kept the country up until 3 am.

Reporters on MSNBC who were practically crying and having a meltdown over the election results.

Its ridiculous.

Now we find out that the media has been basically engaged in a two year hoax that the sitting President was a Russian double agent.

It will be interesting to see if they can recover from this debacle for them.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,146,486 times
“Leans” is an understatement.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:31 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
The Media, Entertainment, Education, Tech, Corporate America, Wall Street, and most of Government are Far Left Progressive, not "liberal". Most of America does not agree, nor want that.

Last edited by Pilot1; 04-24-2019 at 09:54 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 09:33 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,251,233 times
The problem is that 24hr news channels don’t have enough news to fill 24/7/365...so most of their content is opinion not news.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:41 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
It’s not about us getting the facts via news, it’s about ratings and commercials. I get opinions from major news and facts from BBC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies