Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 04:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong but, Christian:

Believes in God.
Believes that Jesus was His son.
Believes that Jesus died to absolve us of our sins.
And that if you so believe, then there is a place in heaven for you.

the Apostles Creed (~150 AD) and the Nicene Creed (~325 AD) spell it all out.

Personally, the person who mentioned Matthew 7:5 - modern translation "you worry about your sins first, dude" - had it most right. Whether homosexuality is a sin or not is subject to one's own studying of the Bible (all non-Christians are welcome of course to make their own determination however they please).

It's not really that important what I think about it, it's what God thinks about it. I'll stick to the above statement of faith, and acknowledge that I sin in many ways every day.

Seems Franklin should get that straight too, but sounds like he believes he's above Matthew 7:5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 04:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Franklin Graham is an embarrassment to the entire state of North Carolina. I'm sure he'll be speaking at the Republican Convention in Charlotte next year standing along side of the Donald, no doubt! A perfect example of "Sinners of a Feather" flocking together. Hell would be wise to open a portal to Montreat NC and take Franklin to an new appropriate residence!

Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The Bible also says you aren’t supposed to judge. If the man believes he is a Christian, he is one. Just like Graham. Mr. Buttigieg‘s sexuality will be a matter for Mr. Buttigieg and God to settle out, just like there are things Mr. Graham and God will need to sort out.
One of my frustrations with some critics of Christians is that when it comes to any other book, they understand that taking meaning from a quote in isolation, absent context, is foolish. Yet when it comes to the Bible, they routinely takes passages out of context and insist on reading the Bible literally. That's one of the delicious ironies: these critics read the Bible as literally as the Christians whom they criticize most...fundamentalist Christians.

Right after that verse, Jesus says, “Watch out for false prophets. . . . By their fruit you will recognize them”

Then in the Book of John, Jesus says, “Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.”

You need not be a theologian to understand that Jesus is not commanding us to never judge nor is Jesus saying that we should judge all sinful behavior the same.

I honestly do not know where homosexual behavior rates compared to other sinful behavior. I know it doesn't rate as high as sinful behaviors that were spelled out even more clearly and I'm certain that people like Franklin Graham obsess about it too much at the expense of more serious sinful behaviors. He and people like him become caricatures who make it all the easier for shallow critics of Christianity to pounce and cast most Christians in the same lot as Graham. They love people like Franklin Graham.

All that said, the spectacle of Mayor Pete posturing on the stump as anything but the "privileged" person he is, more than hard to take and this manufactured row with Pence leaves him looking small and demagogic. Any reasonable person watching him carry on with this performance juxtaposed to Pence's simple response, will conclude that Pence is handling this like an adult and Pete is not. And, just to head off the obligatory accusation, I did not vote for Pence/Trump and I will not be voting for them.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I absolutely hate religious homophobes, and this person seems to be one!
Don't worry - he's all about the scratch...you know, the money.

Someday he too will be found out.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
If evangelical leaders really demanded Christian values in their president, they’d stop calling evil good and good evil. They should be ashamed of themselves as Buttigieg stands up for Christian values more than Trump and his sycophants combined.

And while on this subject, I for one, am weary and disgusted by this evangelical crowd preaching and demanding a Christian litmus test for political leaders. Enough is enough of their bullying and hostage taking and phony outrage. Government is not the place for religion.

As a Christian I agree government is no place for religion. I'm not what you would call devout and I don't believe in a lot of what churches preach. Way up on the list is that as Christians we are supposed to preach the word. Spread the word. Shout it from the rooftops. Personally I believe actions speak louder than words. Go across the street and help that old lady with her groceries when you see her struggling. Maybe mow her lawn for her or take out her garbage.

Help that person in the wheelchair get over that curb. Maybe volunteer some time at an old folks home or disabled persons home. If you've been through serious trauma and beaten the PTSD help those who haven't. You get the picture. Let other people worry about their own souls. Especially the preachers.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
If evangelical leaders really demanded Christian values in their president, they’d stop calling evil good and good evil. They should be ashamed of themselves as Buttigieg stands up for Christian values more than Trump and his sycophants combined.

And while on this subject, I for one, am weary and disgusted by this evangelical crowd preaching and demanding a Christian litmus test for political leaders. Enough is enough of their bullying and hostage taking and phony outrage. Government is not the place for religion.

I really hope the Trump era is the last of it. Everyone thought their time had passed but then 2016 happened. Now it's like we are back in the 1980s with Jerry Falwell always complaining about something.

The only "Christian values" they care about is controlling women and hating LGBT people. Also add outward displays of religiosity. They care more about having a Ten Commandments monument at the courthouse or making sure everyone says "Merry Christmas" than actually living the values Jesus taught. They don't want everyone to actually be Christian. They just want to force everyone to pretend that they are so the evangelicals aren't offended. If the Christian Right isn't in power, that must mean we are living in the End Times and the rapture is about to happen any minute. I'm sick of this dominating our politics and I hope after 2020, we see the end of it.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I wonder what would happen if he just stated that he was a Christian without the identifier... and he carried himself as a Christian doing his best to follow Christ.
He could have done that. But it would have taken less than ten seconds for his detractors to point out his being gay. So I guess he thought it best to get it out in the open ahead of time.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:29 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
He could have done that. But it would have taken less than ten seconds for his detractors to point out his being gay. So I guess he thought it best to get it out in the open ahead of time.
That doesn't explain why he continues to do it, and with more regularity.

Everyone here understands why he does it.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:21 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Bootyjudge is going to be alright.
Even describing himself as the wife won't hurt him as long as he doesn't show up in public in a dress or pantsuit. He'll be fine, he'll be fine. Relax !!!

It may be time for the man/wife to lead.
The primary is just the dance floor.
Wait for the nomination. Test his flexibility in the general.
Has he learned to bend over like Obama or will he need more instruction and training ?
Another failed attempt to disguise crudeness with spurious cleverness.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:50 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Franklin Graham condemns Buttigieg but defends Trump, double standard. So because Trumps on his side he gets a pass. when it comes to Trump the best he can do is state that "he's not the best example of the Christian faith. Surely he can come up with a slightly harsher criticism.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-gay-christian
And I rail against him for his ugly assumption that HE should determine who can call themselves a christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies