Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 06:19 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Most boomers on this site.
Yeah, my parents are boomers. They love their grandkids and don't harbor hate over stupid labels.

You've been watching wayyyy too many anonymous web forums if you think anyone but some internet trolls (most who are ironically millenials) are going to revel in such news.

P.S. I think most people posting have had a friend or family member struggle with mental health issues, in my large extended family we've had 2 or 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 06:24 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wow... Sounds just like the same problems the people have been facing for the last 60 (and forever) years.
No, not the same. Student loans are far more expensive, housing prices / rents in relation to income are much higher, daycare costs have skyrocketed, pensions no longer exist, healthcare is way more expensive, aging dependents can no longer be exempted in taxes. The issues which I listed are much worse now than they were for past generations.

I am Gen-X, and I did not have those issues when I was younger.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:25 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Instead of listening and respecting the old boomers young parents
preferred administering Ritalin over the old age sound advice of a good swift kick in the backside.
Suffer the children............It's a jungle sometimes. It makes me wonder how I keep from going under!
Except it was the boomers who pushed hard to call discipline child abuse.
However. Not all boomers. Just the ones that were in politics and education.

*Millennial here* I'm all for discussing the differences between generations and I often do side with many of the viewpoints of boomers as I was raised in an old school upbringing. As a result, I do not face the same plaguing issues as most of my generation... they were indoctrinated from kindergarten - college. I never fell for it. Not once.

There's a meme that applies.
Hard times create hard men.
Hard men create good times.
Good times produce weak/soft men.
Weak/soft men produce hard times.
Images in the meme showing the rise and fall of the Roman Empire... that whole Democracy thing...

Depression?
Really paid to push that narrative of feelz>rational, logical, thinking.

Health?
Really paid to vote for Obama and his "affordable" health insurance scheme.

I called it when I was in college. It would be far from affordable. I was told I was racist because our president was black.

Race had nothing to do with policy...

What is racist about stating a fact that had nothing to do with race?
Health insurance premiums were-Pre ACA affordable.

I went from paying 35 dollars per week for health insurance, with no deductibles, complete coverage, to 90 per week, having to come up with 2k dollars before health insurance would kick in, AND... that's providing IF insurance covered the bill in full.

That whole... if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor?
Yeah, no. My doctor/PCP wouldn't accept the junk plan I received post ACA passing.
If I wanted to keep the coverage I had with the insurer-MVP, It would have been cheaper to have COBRA than to remain with them...

I had to choose an "in network" PCP. That meant I either had to drive an hour north or south... Instead of having a doctor's appointment and being late to work by at most an hour, now half the day was gone due to traveling 60 miles to an in network office, then be seen for at most 10 minutes, to leave and get stuck in morning traffic, to get to work by lunch time. Half the day shot, there's less money in the paycheck unless you had a cool employer like I did at the time that would let you make it up by staying til 10-11pm...

And if I didn't have health insurance? Pay the fine.
Makes sense. Can't afford the junk plans? That's okay. We will fine you.
Makes alot of sense especially to an entire generation that is buried up to their eyeballs in student loan debt for falling for the used car salesman tactics of You absolutely need this degree in order to make it in the world...

Affordable care indeed.

Yet, what's amusing? I hear how what a great thing this was...
How it got so many covered...

Alot of good that useless coverage was, when you essentially paid more for far less coverage. It only enriched the biggest health insurance companies. Think about it.

They went from covering the bill full boat, with low co-pays, to charging a deductible higher than car insurance, declaring anything more than a check up or any meds prescribed come with a high out of pocket expense...

It saved insurance companies boat loads of cash for they didn't have to pay out as much as they used to... what a wonderful plan... to take what Romney implemented in MA and put it on steroids, implement it nationally...

So if you want to be fair and honest in boomers v millennials, you have to give credit where credit is due.
It was boomers who educated us.
It was boomers who were elected to office and pushed for this nonsense and reinforce it as law of the land.
It was boomers who said I'm going to protect my job, I got mine, require a college degree for a position in their company, get colleges on board with robbing wealth from generations who've yet to accumulate any wealth what so ever. Then flip the script and tell them they need 3-5 years of expirience in order to apply for that position ROFL clever sneaky cheeky bastards...

Make said generation as feeble and naive as possible. Urinate down their backs tell them it's rain.

Boomers created the problems all under the guise of it being good for us... no... no it wasn't. I called BS on it back then as I do now.
I see no reason logical or compelling to continue to double down on the dumb.
It costs we the people our earnings and rights every time.
Neocons and liberals love them some bigger .gov
Whoever thought giving the DMV authority over health related matters was a good idea needs a swift kick in the ass.

At most what should have happened was a consumer protection act that insurance companies are bound to cover their customers without grossly overcharging their customers. I'd support that whether implemented by a republican or democrat.

However the free chit army and robinhood economists will lose their lids and screech tax the rich...
Tax the rich has always translated to-fleece the middle class/working class.
Always. Why? "The rich" have better accountants and tax attorneys than we do.
That and they're giving credit where it's due, Smart about money where as the majority of us middle class are dumb with money, and ignorant to throw opportunities that exist currently.

I wasnt. If I wanted to earn more money, there were plenty of avenues to pursue outside of the day job. Like skipping across the border to MA or CT and pay scrap price for a vehicle that wouldn't pass MA or CT inspection because of rust through bodies. As long as they ran had a tight front end, decent brakes, decent tires, would pass NYSI I'd scoop them up for 300-500, put at most 500-1k into them, flip em for profit. Same with dirtbikes snowmobiles and ATVs.
Hell I had an old rot box dodge pickup with a total of 900 invested into it I'd wake up at 4am when it would snow and go plow driveways for 25 bucks a rip or more depending on size and have 300-500 in cash before I even left for work at 7...
Offer to come back later and clear snow off the roof for an additional $100...

I've always viewed things in terms of an investment. Relationships to tangible things.
And I never believed in credit. There's no sense in spending what you don't have on you in cash/checking account to pay interest on.

Add in that used car salesman scheme in college where-Upon graduating you'll be making 6 figures or more...
ROFL to be lucky to land an intern level position and wage... further the debt with soaring housing costs... because 90% of my generation is useless, didn't work in skilled trades, absolutely need a relatively new house of 200k or more, or continue to pay rent at 1200+ per month...

Not me. I bought a lakeside fixer upper. Had it renovated and paid for in full in 5 years...15k down in cash 700 per month for 15 years. 3 missed payments I have 2 weeks to pack my stuff and be gone. Financially responsible for any damages and incomplete work. Responsible for property and school taxes.

Beat that 150-200k dollar starter home with a 5k dollar tax bill per year needing roof/foundation work.

Like I said... I'm not suffering the woes of my generation. They fell for the nonsense. They reap what they sow. It's not healthy to be a lemming.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:26 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Massive student debt, healthcare costs, inflation, daycare costs, very expensive housing (rent or own), trying to care for penny-less aging boomer parents (tax-change makes this MUCH worse), etc can make the future look very bleak. Also, practically none of them have pensions, so retirement savings is completely on them.
Many Boomers don't have pensions and had no problem having enough discipline to save for their retirement. No reason Millennials can't do the same. Of course, it does require that one actually lives BELOW one's means to be able to save and invest. That's the major hurdle that IMO, Millennials can't get over. They're the generation with the most "entitled" mentality I've ever seen.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:27 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
the 20s and 30s are very stressful.

this is the time in life most adults are working long hours to establish their careers and have little free time.

Money issues are common as young couples take on large mortgages to buy homes and establish households.

this is the age most people start to have families and young children add more stress, emotionally and financially.

finally, relationships with spouses become stressed due to all the above: work loads, money issues, and young children.

this age, the millennials' age now, is the most stressful time in life in my experience, but all the above do get better with age!

Old 04-26-2019, 06:31 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Many Boomers don't have pensions and had no problem having enough discipline to save for their retirement. No reason Millennials can't do the same. Of course, it does require that one actually lives BELOW one's means to be able to save and invest. That's the major hurdle that IMO, Millennials can't get over. They're the generation with the most "entitled" mentality I've ever seen.

Thanks for being disingenuous. Everyone knows since the late 70s into the 80s jobs with pensions have been going away slowly but surely. More boomers will have pensions than millennials will.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:37 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Thanks for being disingenuous. Everyone knows since the late 70s into the 80s jobs with pensions have been going away slowly but surely. More boomers will have pensions than millennials will.
I don't have a pension. Had to save for my own retirement. So did almost every other Boomer I know. Why do you think IRAs and 401Ks grew so much in use? Why do you think storefront investment brokers and CFPs also skyrocketed so much? The Boomers! Saving for their own retirement!

Old 04-26-2019, 06:38 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Massive student debt, healthcare costs, inflation, daycare costs, very expensive housing (rent or own), trying to care for penny-less aging boomer parents (tax-change makes this MUCH worse), etc can make the future look very bleak. Also, practically none of them have pensions, so retirement savings is completely on them.
How did the tax changes impact retirees with no money?

Most companies offer a 401k match. Over time it will match up against most pensions and that's not even getting into the pensions that never pay out what they promised.

However, if you happen to be a city worker in NY or other places where they let you make 400k in salary your last year and then pay you a pension based just off that number then it's impossible to beat that sort of a deal.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:39 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And no primary care physician? Blame Free Market Health Care for that one.
Wrong...

Blame ACA and Romney care.

We're going to jack your insurance premiums sky high for far less coverage. And if you can't afford it we will hold your income tax returns (providing you get a return to begin with) or charge you for not having it.

Free market? LOL if it were a free market no doctor would have a job and hospitals would be hurting bigly as customers wouldn't be able to afford the bill so they'd lower their costs to get more consumers/customers-patients in the door. If it were free market there would be no .gov meddling in the market.
Instead of trying to make retirement off one patient/one case... they'd be lowering costs to make it back in volume and thensome. I really do question whether you actually are/were a business owner... or if you let that liberal nonsense cloud your judgement that badly sometimes...

Just like college...

Create demand-You need a degree in order to make it.
Colleges raise tuition costs.
Tag it onto that loan.
Lemmings don't see education as an investment or research the ROI on that degree...
Wind up in entry level positions...
Wind up having to still stock shelves in a grocery store, sling drinks and meals at the restaraunt/bar they worked at during college...

Meanwhile colleges claiming "not for profit" are giving administration huge raises. Look at the reserved parking spaces. Admin? Dean? Check.
50k+ plus luxury vehicle? Check.
Professors pushing Robin Hood economists? Check.
Recruiters pushing used car salesman tactics? This is a smoking deal you absolutely need to attend my school for xx,xxx per year for 4 years or more.

Meanwhile... that "not for profit" college?
I copied ISBN numbers from the books I needed. I saved bigly buying the books new on amazon.
School made bank off the books they sold on site.
Rising tuition fees...
Admin giving themselves raises...
Any profit on the books? Quick! Pizz it all away on stupid stuff like repaving the parking lots and the brick facade and other nonsense on campus. Can't show a profit! Spend that money or else we have to give it back in tuition reimbursement... or we lose our not for profit status.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:49 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How did the tax changes impact retirees with no money?

Most companies offer a 401k match. Over time it will match up against most pensions and that's not even getting into the pensions that never pay out what they promised.
Kids have been taking care of their parents forever and they didn't have things such as Medicaid, Subsidized Housing, Social Security and other Govt perks if that person has no money. Most Boomers get to retirement with some savings and don't 100% rely on their kids to take care of them.

Us self employed Idiots don't even have a Company match 401k but still manage to save our money into IRA's for our retirement. I know very few Boomers with any type of Pension now a days. Those Pensions started dying out with our Parents the WW2 generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies