Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:59 AM

36,514 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Americans in general look absolutely gross compared to back then. Not saying I am the best looking person but collectively it's strange how far America has fallen since back then.

So many average looking people back then would be better looking than today's super models. Lack of words for how good looking Americans used to be.

Will be interesting if trends continue by 2030 what America will look like then. Obesity and ailments associated with it are likely to cause healthcare infrastructure to collapse in a decade.

1950-1960 – The College Voice

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive

I have to say I was in a book place looking at books that showcased pictures of large gathering events from generations ago and I almost couldn't believe how I saw maybe two people considered obese by today's standards from browsing multiple books.

I also notice in historical photos how feminine women looked back then and how masculine men looked.

I must have looked at 20-30 books of different cities in the early 20th century that had pictures of gatherings and out of 1,000 or so people that I have must have seen, only a few were obese.

Even in the last 20 years people look much different now. People look very, very rough and tattered these days in general.

Run of the mill people a century ago in their 20s and 30s were better looking than today's celebrities. I almost gasped how much the country has declined.

200 pounds back then was like 350-400 pounds today. It's very sad honestly.

I can only imagine how people who visit from countries like Japan must think when they come here.

There have been times as a 5 foot 11 inch and 170 pound guy that I feel like a some of a freak these days as sometimes I will be one of only a few non-obese people in a large gathering.
I wonder if folks living in the '50 and '60 said that about their current generation comparing them to those of the '20s and 30's and those in the '20's and 30's about those in the 1800's and so on.

I really dont see anything wrong with moving away from dressing to artificially enhance how we naturally look. I remember watching my mom dress, all 95lbs of her, in her cross your heart pointy bra, garter belt and stockings, slip, Morticia Adams skirt, blouse, scarf, stiletto heals, bright red lipstick and hair that she had put in rollers the night before the doused with hair spray to keep those perfect curls in place. And watch my friends mom sit in front of her Mary Kay lighted cosmetic mirror dabbing on and blending three shades of foundation, three shades of rogue, two shades of lipstick, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara and then draw on her eyebrows. No thanks.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:06 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Has anybody considered the fact that in the 50s, people spent much less time in their cars and sitting on the couch watching TV? Instead of eating at McDonalds or Buffalo Wild Wings, people ate at a mom and pop diner or cooked at home? Everyone wants to blame this all on liberalism and less Christianity, but just look at the way we built our cities and neighborhoods in the '50s compared to how we do now.
You answered your own questions. Large urban centers. How do they vote again?

Removing sports and religion from schools. Free meals. Ya, easy to connect the dots.

My kids go to a pretty big school here. Both made the honor roll and you should have seen how huge most of the kids were. The only ones that weren't were also doing cross country or some other sport. That was very few of them. I'd say 80% were at least overweight if not obese as teens.

So many single parents. These kids are bused in before school, eat free meals all you can eat, and then sit around after school until they are bused home again. No exercise at all for the day.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 AM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
And of course most of the photos were white people. And the comment about people looking like real men and real women? People just dress in a more casual style today.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You answered your own questions. Large urban centers. How do they vote again?

Removing sports and religion from schools. Free meals. Ya, easy to connect the dots.
But obesity and poor physical health in general is a much worse problem in rural, highly Republican areas.

Even between Oklahoma City and Dallas, I can tell in general people are much healthier and look much nicer in Dallas.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:18 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And of course most of the photos were white people. And the comment about people looking like real men and real women? People just dress in a more casual style today.
Casual but also quite sloppy in many cases. Casual wear in the past was more stylish.

Black people also dressed well back in the day, so it wasn't a white thing, it was just the style.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 305 times
Quote:
Americans in general look absolutely gross compared to back then. Not saying I am the best looking person but collectively it's strange how far America has fallen since back then.

So many average looking people back then would be better looking than today's super models. Lack of words for how good looking Americans used to be.

Will be interesting if trends continue by 2030 what America will look like then. Obesity and ailments associated with it are likely to cause healthcare infrastructure to collapse in a decade.

[URL="http://thecollegevoice.org/2011/03/08/connecticut-college-1950-1960/5497479217_e2f4427018_o/"]1950-1960 – The College Voice[/URL]

[URL="http://ccdl.libraries.claremont.edu/cdm/ref/collection/ccp/id/9220"]Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive[/URL]

I have to say I was in a book place looking at books that showcased pictures of large gathering events from generations ago and I almost couldn't believe how I saw maybe two people considered obese by today's standards from browsing multiple books.

I also notice in historical photos how feminine women looked back then and how masculine men looked.

I must have looked at 20-30 books of different cities in the early 20th century that had pictures of gatherings and out of 1,000 or so people that I have must have seen, only a few were obese.

Even in the last 20 years people look much different now. People look very, very rough and tattered these days in general.

Run of the mill people a century ago in their 20s and 30s were better looking than today's celebrities. I almost gasped how much the country has declined.

I can only imagine how people who visit from countries like Japan must think when they come here.

There have been times as a 5 foot 11 inch and 170 pound guy that I feel like a some of a freak these days as sometimes I will be one of only a few non-obese people in a large gathering.

We get it! You only find white females acceptable in your conservative utopia. You find the idea of having a diverse group of people repulsive because of your hatred of minorities. ONly whites can be beautiful, right?

I WANT MY 1950s BACK!!! wAHHHHHHHH!

Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Other things contributing to today's looks - bad plastic surgery, people who think that either too fat or too skinny is attractive (but they have problems with anorexia, binge eating, thinking being "thick" is attractive, etc).

Also men have become more feminized, or manscaped, Look at the men from the old 1930's movies - like the people who play lawyers. Watch one of the old movies, and you will see a very masculine man playing the lead role. No soft male look to their face.

LOL i was glancing over at some of the ads on tv - the men are scruffy, stupid, feminine, and weak looking. Like the guy in the Car Gurus commercial.Blech!

So the OP is right about the differences in men and women today.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:55 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:

1950-1960 – The College Voice

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive

No doubt. Now liberals celebrate heavy women (not men, though, for some reason) as "natural" and the like. "Plus" models are a must. And if you have a difference of opinion or criticize obesity, "you're a BIGOT". Society has become very disturbing.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
I think that this is a direct result of the "be yourself" and "anything goes" movement of the 60's. Once people felt free to not conform to very neat grooming, clothing, and body (meaning not overweight) standards, they became more and more casual in their appearance; and in my personal opinion, I think this is something of a mixed blessing. I love it that I am a senior female and feel perfectly accepted in my everyday outfit of jeans and a tee shirt (something that was almost never seen in elderly women 60 years ago, unless they were something like a farmer), but I do agree that this relaxed attitude to one's appearance has resulted in people being more unhealthy, generally speaking.

Also, as a traditionalist, I do dislike the fact that there is more of a blending of male and female attire, and I miss the days where almost everyone dressed up for special holidays and events, but, OTOH, I think that my being able to dress comfortably is worth it.

Again, I definitely have very mixed feelings about this subject.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:19 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Depression era working class couple.

https://twitter.com/HistoryInPics/st...452824576?s=20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies