Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Business casual usually means don't wear jeans and keep your Pink Floyd t-shirt hidden under a polo shirt or something. Is that really too much for you?
If you’re not customer facing why the hell does it matter? If employees are happier and more productive in shorts let them have at it.

2 shirts outside of an Alaskan winter? Insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you’re not customer facing why the hell does it matter? If employees are happier and more productive in shorts let them have at it.

2 shirts outside of an Alaskan winter? Insanity.
She is customer facing representing her constituency in a school for pete's sake.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:17 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It matters because perception is important to a company or government entity and as a representative one should be mindful of that fact.
ah to a private company. There is a world of difference. Dress codes and all that, things that you agree to when hired. You can't combine the 2, unless the town in question has a written and approved dress code. I didn't see that they did. My town certainly doesn't.

Perceptions can be a killer I admit that. For example . You can dress up a vile mass murderer and rapist in a suit and tie and you will have people believe that the verdict may have been in error.

I sat on a jury for a murder rape trial. They dressed that perp up. Cut his hair. Got his teeth cleaned. On our jury we had 5 women. 4 of them before hearing more than opening statements were convinced the police coerced the confession out of that nice man. Perceptions are funny things.

Once again I always go for performance over style. There have been a good many bad people who dressed to impress. I taught my children not to judge based upon appearance or dress.

My favorite story in regard to sight judging.
My brother is in the car business. Years ago on his first day after training, an older man and his wife walked into the show room. The more experienced salespeople ignored the couple. My brother walked over and made his first sale. The man dressed in his fam coveralls and smelling like the barn, bought an F-250 loaded up truck and paid cash. The man slipped my brother a hundred dollar bill for not looking down his nose at them.

Small minded people sight judge. I wear a suit to a wedding or a funeral. My daughter's graduation from university. That's it. The council woman isn't a congress critter or a president. Look how those people dress? pack of professional liars. A more dishonest group never lived.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
ah to a private company. There is a world of difference. Dress codes and all that, things that you agree to when hired. You can't combine the 2, unless the town in question has a written and approved dress code. I didn't see that they did. My town certainly doesn't.

Perceptions can be a killer I admit that. For example . You can dress up a vile mass murderer and rapist in a suit and tie and you will have people believe that the verdict may have been in error.

I sat on a jury for a murder rape trial. They dressed that perp up. Cut his hair. Got his teeth cleaned. On our jury we had 5 women. 4 of them before hearing more than opening statements were convinced the police coerced the confession out of that nice man. Perceptions are funny things.

Once again I always go for performance over style. There have been a good many bad people who dressed to impress. I taught my children not to judge based upon appearance or dress.

My favorite story in regard to sight judging.
My brother is in the car business. Years ago on his first day after training, an older man and his wife walked into the show room. The more experienced salespeople ignored the couple. My brother walked over and made his first sale. The man dressed in his fam coveralls and smelling like the barn, bought an F-250 loaded up truck and paid cash. The man slipped my brother a hundred dollar bill for not looking down his nose at them.

Small minded people sight judge. I wear a suit to a wedding or a funeral. My daughter's graduation from university. That's it. The council woman isn't a congress critter or a president. Look how those people dress? pack of professional liars. A more dishonest group never lived.
I worked at a car dealership when younger and saw the same thing many times. But that doesn't change what people at large will perceive when you have been elected to represent them. She may do a bang up job but there will be those who expect more of an effort from her. For me it is all about respect as I stated earlier. One does not have to spend a ton of money to look respectable and not sloppy. Perception is important.

ETA I hope you are not calling me small minded. Everyone judges, even you.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
She is customer facing representing her constituency in a school for pete's sake.
That was a sidebar on business casual/professional dress in private companies.

She is dressed just fine as a representative of the public. Her male colleagues show up in jeans and T-shirts with holes in them.

Heck I’d say she’s gone above and beyond for a $400/month position...

Old 04-25-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I am retired and younger than you having lived in towns much smaller than that. I still understand professionalism and appropriate attire in various situations. It's not about the clothes making the person or their ability. One can dress to the nines and still be a crappy employee or dress like a slob and be a great one, except for the slob part. It's about respect for your position and company, or constituents, and yourself.
Well you are entitled to your opinion. If we were talking POTUS I would agree. Even congress critter. Even state rep critter.
Town council person? Who cares. They are so low level it is ridiculous to expect them to dress to impress.

Respect? I like it. I really do. To me they can show their respect by doing their damn job. Respect me by not lying to me. (If only our Fed and State could do that). Respect me by not running a deficit and live with in our means. Respect me by not tax and spending. Be honest and straight forward and I don't give a damn how they dress.

Our town meetings are less than formal. Dressed up is wearing a button shirt and jeans. They only go formal if there is a ceremony of some kind. I have seen them show up straight off the farm, still wearing work clothes. These same people make sure our roads are maintained and plowed. Baseball field gets the attention it needs. Christmas lights go up and are taken down. No one cares how they dress for a meeting. We care that the job is done.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That was a sidebar on business casual/professional dress in private companies.

She is dressed just fine as a representative of the public. Her male colleagues show up in jeans and T-shirts with holes in them.

Heck I’d say she’s gone above and beyond for a $400/month position...
The men representatives are dressed inappropriately as well. Clean jeans and pressed button down shirt would be better.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I worked at a car dealership when younger and saw the same thing many times. But that doesn't change what people at large will perceive when you have been elected to represent them. She may do a bang up job but there will be those who expect more of an effort from her. For me it is all about respect as I stated earlier. One does not have to spend a ton of money to look respectable and not sloppy. Perception is important.

ETA I hope you are not calling me small minded. Everyone judges, even you.
Not at all, just a statement in general. Everyone does judge. For example. I just yesterday judged a Russian Ex-pat as a scum bag. He was smoking, and sloppy drunk. He liked to be too familiar with the waitresses. Turns out he was a scum bag. I have been wrong before, just not often.

I knew a guy who was an Asiaphile. He dressed well. He was a deacon in his church. Well spoken. Town councilman. Drove a Caddy to every town function. But he loved his asian girls. Well other people's asian girls. He was filmed by the police going into a massage parlor in a neighboring town. Yeah those first impressions based on dress. who would have guessed?

There will always be those who expect a woman or a man for that matter to dress a certain way. I on the other only expect integrity and honesty as well as job performance. I wouldn't care if she dressed like Barney the dinosaur provided she was honest and did a good job.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I love all the support she got from the residents of Berea! Good for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
All I would care about is if she can get the job done. I'd rather have someone wearing this outfit, than dressing like they have a million dollars, but they can't handle the job and are getting by on looks.
Yes to all of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I would wager that most of her Kentucky constituents don't dress as well. That woman isn't looking low class at all. Those with the fat jokes or the comments on her dress are just looking for a new issue to be outraged by.
I'd even bet that her male counterparts don't dress as well.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
The men representatives are dressed inappropriately as well. Clean jeans and pressed button down shirt would be better.
Why?

They are citizen servants. Unless you want tax payers providing them outfits a city council member is just fine in their own day to day attire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies