Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 08:57 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Assuming you are a male .... it's likely not going to be an issue.
Lesbians are against shaving and I've never figured out why - I've known many Lesbians, my daughter is a Lesbian -- I've never known one who shaves their legs or their underarms.

I could be (and probably is) a cultural thing in some Countries. Here in the USA, it's more the norm for women to shave arm pits and hairy legs ..... except for Lesbians.
I call BS on that claim. I am one, my wife is one as well, and I know at least 100 others. We all shave legs and pits. Living in Houston, the Gay Pride Parade is in June (I have no idea why they choose the month it's 100 degrees) and all the ladies are in shorts and short sleeves. Hardly a hairy anything on any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 09:04 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,988,207 times
I don't know the truth of this, but I've heard a number of times that respectable European women didn't shave because it was for loose women and prostitutes who shaved to get rid of lice and crabs. Young women today, though, do shave. I've also heard that after U.S. soldiers spent time with European prostitutes, they came home and wanted their women to shave and that's why it became fashionable here before in Europe. I don't know, but I do think it's silly to have strong opinions about underarm hair in this day and age.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:11 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times

Old 04-26-2019, 12:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
What is the message here? We should go back to where it was OK for a woman's husband make a fool of her behind her back?

Old 04-26-2019, 12:37 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,149 times
Nike has always had these controversial ads. It doesn’t seem to be harming them.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
The 1950s are over. Time doesn't stand still forever.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:43 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
So we need a law requiring women to shave their armpits? What should be the penalty if they don’t?

The things conservatives get outraged about are pretty ridiculous and shallow sometimes, especially since they are supposed to be the “real men” and us liberals the snowflakes.
Any women who can't be bothered to shave under their arms also tend to be a bit lax in other areas of hygiene.
If you catch my drift.
Next you'll be telling me that women really don't mind being fat.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Any women who can't be bothered to shave under their arms also tend to be a bit lax in other areas of hygiene.
If you catch my drift.
Next you'll be telling me that women really don't mind being fat.
I don't catch your drift.

https://www.thecut.com/2014/11/16-fa...rmpit-hair-10/

Old 04-26-2019, 01:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
If you are really in the marketing/advertising business you would know that gay/lesbian/shaving/not shaving/ and whatever else is a previously untapped market.
Yes, I'm really in marketing research working with politicians, advertisers, etc. I've posted about this previously.

There are untapped markets but companies walk a fine line because they don't want people protesting. Interracial relationships aren't new and most of society is fine with them, yet we rarely see interracial couples in ads. When Cheerios introduced little Gracie with her black father and white mother a few years back, there were people who complained. Since then, we haven't seen a big surge of ads like that because of risk aversion. If companies are nervous about something as benign as seeing an interracial couple, you can imagine how hesitant they would be to have ads with a gay couple.

That isn't to say companies don't do targeted advertising in periodicals geared toward gays - but you won't see those running on television or in print ads geared toward the general public.

I'd guess that fewer than 25% of women don't shave under their arms in the U.S. And probably at least 50% of men and women find unshaven armpits a turnoff. Typically you won't find companies doing ads for the general population that are targeted toward a small demographic - particularly when you're going to turn off a much larger population in doing so. Nike's brand is supposed to be edgy and they're playing on that. And in all honesty, they may have done some market testing on this and found it wasn't a problem. And by not being a problem I mean people could have said, 'I think that's gross but it wouldn't stop me from buying Nike apparel.'

Also, companies don't always pay attention to market research. There was an advertising campaign that a client's advertising team put together that they loved but it tested poorly all over the country. They kept testing it over and over again in focus groups hoping for a different response, but everybody was sour on the commercial. They ran it anyway, but I only saw it running for a short period of time - so something happened to finally get them to see what a bad idea it was, even though they ignored all the market research prior to airing it.

My long way of saying....it's complicated.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:00 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That's like the old joke about what do you call an aircraft with hair under its wings.
Alitalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies