Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 11:28 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Aren't younger men shaving their whole bodies now? Hair, ewww. But women get to have fuzzy pits.... ok we are in strange times fo shure.
When much younger, I once made the mistake of taking all the hair off my body. Then, about 4 days later, when it grew out enough to bend back and the stiff ends dug into my skin, I spent three weeks of constant itching and burning. It was summertime, so I went with just shorts when I wasn't on the job, which made it better. But until it grew out enough for those stiff ends to soften up, wearing clothes was misery.

I wonder if the same thing happens to women who shave their legs? Do they have to keep doing it, to avoid the irritation and itching during the intermediate stage of regrowth?

I should point out that Mother Nature gave humans a thin amount of body hair for a reason. It plays a big role in keeping the body cool during hot weather, especially when running. Small droplets of perspiration flow out from the skin on the hairs and have a much greater evaporation rate. With shaved skin, the sweat builds up on the surface and doesn't evaporate very much and cool the body. During that time when I had shaved it all off, running on a hot day caused me to overheat to a level I'd never known before. For marathon runners, having unshaved body hair could make a big difference in how well they tolerate warm temperatures. During cold months, the body hair will space-out the clothes a bit and help prevent heat loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 02:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I used that example metaphorically to prove the point that these companies do things like this to pander to the left and never do anything to pander to the right.
Maybe it's just how you see things. Not everyone looks at an ad and asks themselves, "what are the political implications here".

Old 04-26-2019, 02:16 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Marketing and advertising (including messaging for politicians) is my field.

Shaving goes back to ancient Egypt when they used flint and then copper blades. Since that time, fashion has gone from hairy to shaven back to hairy and then shaven, etc. It's a cycle that isn't new.

Some of what women were doing in America with regard to shaving had to do with the changing style of clothing. As more skin was shown, shaving became more popular. And yes, companies capitalized on that.

It's a cultural thing. In France they wouldn't look twice. Most people here aren't fond of it, I don't think.
So many people don't seem to understand marketing. Which is ironic since marketing responds to current social trends and not the other way around.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Assuming you are a male .... it's likely not going to be an issue.
Lesbians are against shaving and I've never figured out why - I've known many Lesbians, my daughter is a Lesbian -- I've never known one who shaves their legs or their underarms.

I could be (and probably is) a cultural thing in some Countries. Here in the USA, it's more the norm for women to shave arm pits and hairy legs ..... except for Lesbians.
Nonsense.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I used that example metaphorically to prove the point that these companies do things like this to pander to the left and never do anything to pander to the right.
If you are really in the marketing/advertising business you would know that gay/lesbian/shaving/not shaving/ and whatever else is a previously untapped market.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Maybe it's just how you see things. Not everyone looks at an ad and asks themselves, "what are the political implications here".
I believe some people do. But some conservatives have it backwards. It's like the proverbial chicken and the egg. Which came first? A huge company like Nike is only going to embrace hairy female armpits (LOL) and advertise to that segment of the population after it's a *thing. Same with some ads out recently for a variety of products including insurance, laundry detergent, and other such boring mundane things that show same sex couples. Every time I see one I think to myself that there are some people out there who are about to blow a gasket. But the advertising people aren't "pushing" these things on people. They are simply responding to times and reaching out to a previously untapped market. Capitalism, right?

Old 04-26-2019, 03:23 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
There's a couple of things a woman should "shave" and that's one of them. Always keep the lawn manicured!

Old 04-26-2019, 04:49 AM

5,068 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I think women were carefree about shaving their legs or armpits up until in 1960.
A new social and fashion standard was set by the fashion industry thru the ads that forced women to go thru this continous hassle of shaving their legs and armpits - and then wear tank tops and shorts to display that they are the slaves of fashion industry in the name of “Freedom”.
I'm a designer. I can tell you that trends fall flat with women all the time, and the ones that women don't like are gone in a heartbeat. If tank tops and shorts were as terrible as you seem to think, they'd never have lasted so long. We like them. Some women wear them with hairy armpits and legs, too.

Part of this is Asians fault. Most of the women are pretty, with amazing skin - nearly hairless naturally much of the time. (Kidding ladies.)

Old 04-26-2019, 05:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I believe some people do. But some conservatives have it backwards. It's like the proverbial chicken and the egg. Which came first? A huge company like Nike is only going to embrace hairy female armpits (LOL) and advertise to that segment of the population after it's a *thing. Same with some ads out recently for a variety of products including insurance, laundry detergent, and other such boring mundane things that show same sex couples. Every time I see one I think to myself that there are some people out there who are about to blow a gasket. But the advertising people aren't "pushing" these things on people. They are simply responding to times and reaching out to a previously untapped market. Capitalism, right?
Good point.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:31 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Gotta love the hairy pit of a woman...so primal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies