Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 06:31 PM

21,426 posts, read 10,507,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
For all the conservative huffing and puffing over "muh freedom" it does seem odd that you're ok with people basically being forced to partake in a job to get their child educated. But anyway, this is your own personal anecdote, many childcare workers are working class and are barely getting by, why should they not get a raise? If Trump's economy is so amazingly great why can't childcare workers get paid more?
God you people just love pushing down.
These girls were not working to get their children educated. Their kids were infants and toddlers. They worked there because they like working with kids, needed the extra cash, and couldn’t afford daycare otherwise. They were mostly very young moms or older former stay-at-home moms whose kids had grown up and they didn’t have enough work experience to get another type of job (or loved kids). The daycare did offer a pre-k program for the kids who would be going to kindergarten the following year. My daughter did that. When my son got that age I had made the choice to stay home with my kids for a few years and he didn’t get to take pre-K classes. But I didn’t see one bit of difference in either child’s progress in kindergarten. They both did well.

If they got this raise, how unaffordable will daycare be? I’m telling you that with the current business model most people struggle to afford daycare. They have to weigh the costs versus the benefits. Many decide that it would cost more to put their kids in daycare than they would make in salary. They sacrificed and saved by one staying home, and their kids were benefiting from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 06:49 PM

41,885 posts, read 74,952,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My money should not pay for your overly expensive child care.
One would think that we'd want to ensure the education of the generation that's going to be changing our Depends and spooning Jell-O into us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Is Warren (and some here) trying to say:
What the article is saying is that better pay for early education teachers, along with enhanced child care subsidies, will add to the economy.

What I'm saying is that preschool teachers are not "just babysitters", and that most are educated just the same as K-12 school teachers, and should be paid accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Babysitters (also known as daycare attendants and/or preschool teachers) AREN'T worth half, not even close to what a high school earth science, biology, chemistry, physics, basic math, algebra, trigonometry, calculus, French, German, English, Spanish, sociology, psychology, American history, world history, speech, physical education, JROTC, shop or ANY other high school teacher is worth.
Preschool teachers teach science, math, sociology, psychology, history, speech, physical education, social studies ...

Quote:
You want a teacher's salary... no, a professor's salary because you chose a field that meant a lot to you but wasn't financially rewarding.
Here we go with the reading comprehension thing again.

And where did I say I was a preschool teacher?

Quote:
The same can be said for the baby sitters who watch children in day care.
When you persist with this willful misinformation, you certainly do not get it.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:04 PM

30,032 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Why would you NOT want the people in charge of your kid(s) for a good percentage of their waking hours.
How about one of the parents being in charge of their kids, all the time? If the concern is who is watching your kids the best solution is the parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
-- keeping them safe, fed, clean, educated, socialized, entertained, disciplined, etc.-- to be paid well??? I wouldn't think care and wellbeing of a vulnerable and helpless member of my family would be someplace I'd want to skimp.
Lots of problems with this idea. First, we are having trouble coming up with the money to pay teachers what they currently earn. Second I have family members who are teachers. Why should entry level child care people make the same money? Require a four year degree and certification then perhaps. Third. People who have kids should pay out of pocket for their care. And that should be something they think about before they have kids not after. People need to plan out there futures not just run around trying to put out all the fires they keep starting.

But I get it. Giving away free stuff to people is very popular and wins votes.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:14 PM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
One would think that we'd want to ensure the education of the generation that's going to be changing our Depends and spooning Jell-O into us.

My kids both have Masters degrees. I'm fine.

Kids starting formal education at Kidergarden works fine also. Parents can provide basic education prior to that just like I did. It's not my responsibility to pay high taxes to subsidize some crappy parents 2-4 year old.

Why do you want to steal people money? People should pay for their own kids.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:28 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,475,260 times
Quote:

Yes, we DO want to ensure the education of the young generation. That's why ALL Americans, whether they have children themselves or not, pay to educate kids from age 5 to 18.

It is totally unnecessary to start taxpayer-subsidized education at age 3 or 4.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,208,181 times
Quote:

What I'm saying is that preschool teachers are not "just babysitters", and that most are educated just the same as K-12 school teachers, and should be paid accordingly.
Yeah, many moons ago I was a nanny to three children. My duties consisted of routine feedings, diaper-changes, putting the baby down to naps, driving the middle child to and from pre-k, or keeping her occupied on non-school days, and getting the school-age child on and off the school bus. I wasn’t educating them; I was providing day-to-day care... making nowhere near what a daycare teacher did, because I didn’t have the workload they did and did not have the level of training they had.

Flash forward to when I was a mom reentering the workforce, initially I started with an in-home daycare, thinking it would be more home-like than a “cold, sterile childcare center”... well, let’s just say, while my kids weren’t being used as drug mules, as soon as I was making more money the following year ,I switched over to a “cold, sterile childcare center” and never looked back. There’s a different level of care provided by people with formal training in early childhood education. Did I pay through the nose? Yup. Still do during the summers. Worth it? Yup. It’s temporary expense, which I look at as an investment in my children’s education and my future employment prospects, even if I’m just breaking even during school breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies