Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 07:50 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Here is a thought. Why don’t the parents raise the child? Why depend on others?
There are lots of working single parents and you can raise your kids without being up their butt 24/7.
My first husband (children's dad) died when they were 3 and 5. Should I just have gone on welfare so I could stay home and "raise my kids".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 07:52 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
A teenaged baby-sitter is a tad different from a state licensed child care provider.

The complete and total lack of knowledge people have regarding small children is astounding.

Perhaps if the people caring for the children in state licensed day care facilities had more than 40 hours training in child development we could save money on prisons.

When my kids were in school, teachers came from the top 10% of their class. Now they come from the bottom 10%.

My daughter is a pre school teacher. She makes $85,000 a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The best way to save people from prison is to get married and have two parents in the home. Daycare doesn’t have anything to do with it. They are talking about making it easier for women to get into the workforce instead of being forced to stay home to raise their kids. And you think that’s going to make it better for the kids? In what way? I’m not against daycare at all. Both my kids went to daycare. But I don’t think they were better off than they would have been if I could have stayed home with them instead.
Agree! The excuse-making is unbelievable. "We need the government to start paying pre-school daycare costs, and pay the babysitters there a lot of money, so the kids won't go to prison....eventually." Sheesh. This is simply about having someone else pick up the tab for mothers to go back to work before their kids are 5 years old.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There are lots of working single parents and you can raise your kids without being up their butt 24/7.
My first husband (children's dad) died when they were 3 and 5. Should I just have gone on welfare so I could stay home and "raise my kids".
Why not find another mother in a similar situation, and pay her to babysit your kids while you went back to work? It's only a year or two until they would be in school all day, and then you can pay a high school kid to watch them for a couple of hours after school until you get home.

Also, didn't your husband have life insurance? Surely that would have covered expenses for a couple of years, until your kids were school age. (That's why responsible parents buy life insurance.)

Old 04-26-2019, 08:07 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I can tell a lot of y'all haven't been to a modern child care center.

They are not "babysitters"; they are curriculum-based, outcomes-based classroom programs with licensed teachers. Teachers are charged with ensuring that kids make steady gains in cognitive, physical, social/emotional areas; they are charged with a child's safety, well-being, nutrition, and education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Because you can't equate the education and effort required of a teacher with that of someone who takes care of children. I started babysitting for kids, including babies that I had to bottle feed and diaper, at age 14.

This is an insult to teachers.
Actually, your post is what's an insult to teachers.

You didn't teach kids when you were 14. You didn't teach them for 7 hours a day, sometimes longer. You didn't implement curriculum, assess progress based on that curriculum, and write reports based on your assessments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Why wasn’t this necessary 15 years ago?

What’s changed???
Child care has changed. Babysitting became day care, which became child care, which became early childhood education. There's a lot more to educating a young child than feeding and diapering babies, as Rachel976 describes.

Quote:
Anyone ever notice that Democrats think the solution to everything is to take money from one group and give it to another? If it were up to them, everyone would get paid the same.
Who's taking money from one group and giving it to another? Your post doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
If people babysitting young children want to be paid the same as those who went to college to become a teacher, and then develop and deliver on lesson plans, give extra attention to those falling behind while simultaneously engaging the "fast leaners," and then sometimes stay up late in the evening grading papers, then they need to go to college to become a teacher (if they are smart enough and motivated enough to do so).

Disclosure: Mom was a teacher. It is an insult to pay babysitters what she earned, especially after the sacrifices she made to go to college (which included working her way through).
Wow, you really are insulting to child care workers and to your mother's profession. If my mother was a teacher and I wrote uninformed bullcrap like this, I wouldn't be surprised if she were ashamed of what I'd written.

The majority of child care workers these days have a minimum of a Child Development Associate credential, and many have college degrees. Each school and each state is different, but in our early childhood education classrooms, assistant teachers are required to have a minimum of an associate's degree and lead teachers must have a bachelor's degree. Each classroom has strict state-mandated teacher-to-child ratios that must be met at every minute of the school day, which varies with the children's ages. Each classroom must have a minimum of one lead teacher and two assistant teachers. There are no "babysitters".

Early education teachers develop and deliver lesson plans, create IEPs for kids who are not meeting developmental milestones and for kids who are exceeding developmental milestones ... while changing diapers, wiping snotty noses, cleaning up after kids who've wet their pants or spilled their lunch, settling disagreements among kids, engaging parents on child development topics, completing mandated paperwork, sending progress emails to parents, ordering supplies for their classrooms, scheduling guest speakers and field trips for the kids, writing daily progress reports for each child on 10 different development objectives, each with 4 or 5 sub-objectives, communicating with providers such as speech therapists, etc., supervising meals and snacks, writing grant applications for the classroom ... I'm sure there's more.

All with a 15 minute break and a half-hour lunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You do realize that many daycares DO have lesson plans and offer much more than babysitting, right? They don’t just sit around doing nothing all day. Many do have college degrees. I have met people who actually had teaching degrees and certifications who were working in daycares.
Absolutely! I touched on some of that above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Their degree was either useless or they were crappy teachers if they were not earning more in a school district.
Wow. Someone else who doesn't understand what early childhood education is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
People still don't understand.

Childcare or school ... they just want SOMEONE ELSE raising your kids.

So instead of having an argument about why parents should be raising their own kids without influence from the government, they make you argue about the BEST WAY to make sure other people take care of the children.

And they are trying to get them from cradle to adulthood and are being really, really successful at it. Pretty soon there will be no difference in daycare/school. Just one big pipeline. No parents needed.
Come on, admit it - you just think women should stay home, barefoot and pregnant.

Women work. Women have children. Working families need child care. Deal with it.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Why not find another mother in a similar situation, and pay her to babysit your kids while you went back to work? It's only a year or two until they would be in school all day, and then you can pay a high school kid to watch them for a couple of hours after school until you get home.

Also, didn't your husband have life insurance? Surely that would have covered expenses for a couple of years, until your kids were school age. (That's why responsible parents buy life insurance.)
And thats better than daycare? I did work and pay someone to watch my kids while I worked and went back to school. The poster said why can't parents raise their own kids.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You do realize that many daycares DO have lesson plans and offer much more than babysitting, right? They don’t just sit around doing nothing all day. Many do have college degrees. I have met people who actually had teaching degrees and certifications who were working in daycares.
And that is not necessary. That is what makes daycare sooo expensive. If you can afford expensive daycare that is actually private school then fine but many lower and middle class family cant afford the high cost of childcare.

I'm not sure why people feel 6 week old to 5 year olds need to spend their day with lesson plans, curriculums, nutritionists, counselors, physical therapists. I'd say the vast majority of kids who spend their day with a SAHP are not spending all that time in a continual advancement learning environment.
Let kids play, interact with them, read them some books, make sure they are safe and happy and clean and fed.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:47 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Raise childcare workers pay on par with public schools

Caring for our smallest ones is one of the most important jobs in our society. Damn right they should be paid better!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Sorry, but a 3-year-old doesn't require a "lesson plan" and a college-educated teacher. All they need is to be kept safe, supervised while playing, and given food. Any responsible adult with a high school degree can do it.

And to elaborate on what said earlier, I was an industrious teen who ran a little "day care" camp for 3-4 year-olds (during the summer) when I was 15. I fed the kids food, played toys with them, did simple arts and crafts, and didn't let any of them out of my sight. They loved "camp', and the mothers were thrilled with me.

It's not a job requiring a college degree - or one that deserves pay of $80,000. You liberals need to get a clue.
Did you enable 3 year old people to identify and manage their emotions?

Dod you teach them basic algebra using blocks?

Did you enable them to teach themselves how to resolve conflict among their group?

Ddi you enable them to understand the how preparation and sharing of a meal leads to groups dynamics?

And on and on.

You did what teenagers know. But as one encounters and learns it is clear there is much more to child development than playing school.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:07 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The best way to save people from prison is to get married and have two parents in the home. Daycare doesn’t have anything to do with it. They are talking about making it easier for women to get into the workforce instead of being forced to stay home to raise their kids. And you think that’s going to make it better for the kids? In what way? I’m not against daycare at all. Both my kids went to daycare. But I don’t think they were better off than they would have been if I could have stayed home with them instead.
You just defined the problem.

How many moms work because the have to? How many have no family or close friends to care for their children? How many moms divorce or never marry? The moms who use day care because they are not forced to work can usually afford decent daycare.

I live in a mid sized well regarded suburban school district. The district employs around 60 cops. Real cops who can arrest anybody. The district also built and 8 cell jail 10 years ago.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 AM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You just defined the problem.

How many moms work because the have to? How many have no family or close friends to care for their children? How many moms divorce or never marry? The moms who use day care because they are not forced to work can usually afford decent daycare.

I live in a mid sized well regarded suburban school district. The district employs around 60 cops. Real cops who can arrest anybody. The district also built and 8 cell jail 10 years ago.
I may live in the same district as you since I think we live in the same town. I also know plenty of young families who can’t afford for the mom to work because she won’t make enough for daycare. But their kids are fine. It’s those women Warren is saying she wants to help get into the workforce. I don’t understand how her plan would do that if she’s wanting daycare workers to get a huge raise, which will only make it more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies