Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You make light of it, but it's just pathetic that an easily preventable disease, that had mostly disappeared or had very low occurrences in developed countries like the US for some time, is now spreading, and rather quickly, again.
Oops, I'm sorry! I sent you a rep point with a comment meant for another poster; I didn't want you to think I was being snarky!

Old 05-01-2019, 12:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
For what purpose? No one I know kept their vaccine records. And if it was SO important, why wasn't it passed along from ped to PCP upon adulthood? Today, the ONLY record that peds care about is immunization. Not so, back in the 80s/90s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Thinking about this now what I got were receipts of payment from their doctor: office visit charge, vaccination for this or that charge, etc. I was never given any yellow vaccination card. Save every doctor receipt? I just threw them out.

When I needed to show their vaccination record for school, I contacted their doctor and he sent the information directly to the school, not to ME.

My point in all this could this Pediatrician be contacted TODAY? He would be in his 90's now. No databases back then. I doubt their school would keep vaccination records of former student for decades.

It is not like a birth certificate where you can write to your state vital records, or go online, and get a new copy. I did that for Social Security and got a brand new copy with raised seal. My original one was handwritten and faded over 65 years. Social Security would not accept it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think many don’t keep them because they were told at the time, “you’re protected for life” so they just assumed all was good and they had nothing to worry about.

I found mine recently by chance in a big box full of photos and other childhood memories. It’s interesting to see how much the childhood schedule has changed since I was a kid.
It's really funny to see anti-vaxers say they didn't keep their kids' vaccine records. I thought you guys didn't vaccinate!

Wherever I worked, and I worked in several places, we made it very clear to patients that they should keep their vaccine records in a safe place and bring them to each doctor visit, whether vaccines were anticipated or not. After we went with the registry, we gave out a printed sheet rather than a yellow card-stock type card, but we still told patients to keep them safe until they got the next one from us (or whoever). One father really took that to heart and whipped out his cell phone to take a picture of it right there in the room! No one ever told the patients they were "protected for life" or "done forever". My favorite line for 5 year olds was "you're done for a while, unless they add something new to the schedule, plus your annual flu vaccine".

The CDC/Immunize.org has some links that talk about how to attempt to obtain records in the case of deceased/retired physicians, etc.

Ask the Experts: Documenting Vaccination
"Vaccination providers frequently encounter people who do not have adequate documentation of vaccinations. Providers should only accept written, dated records as evidence of vaccination. With the exception of influenza and pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccines, self-reported doses of vaccine without written documentation should not be accepted. An attempt to locate missing records should be made whenever possible by contacting previous healthcare providers, reviewing state or local immunization information systems, and searching for a personally held record. However, if records cannot be located or will definitely not be available anywhere because of the patient's circumstances, people without adequate documentation should be considered susceptible and should be started on the age-appropriate vaccination schedule. Serologic testing for immunity is an alternative to vaccination for certain antigens (e.g., measles, rubella, or hepatitis A)." (Non-profit website)

It's not surprising that New York would send the records straight to the school w/o letting the patient see them. We lived in NY for a while and called it "the old country". Very old fashioned ideas. It's also ridiculous to allege that doctors are only concerned about immunizations.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:42 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Hahahahaha.

I have my vaccination record from when I was a kid, by sheer luck, due to finding it in a bin with a bunch of random junk. Not because my parents (who are definitely not AVs)put it in a safe place.

I also have my kids’ records.

Many, if not most people do believe that once they have their vaccines they are protected for life. You don’t have to say it or not say it. Just read comments online for goodness are. There’s a ton of ignorance about vaccines from the people who think they are the greatest thing ever and who believe they are super informed for following their doctor’s advice and never questioning anything at all about vaccines.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Wow, I had never read that article nor learned that it was written by the VP of marketing for a company that specializes in “native advertising”, a term that I’ve never heard of before.

For others who have not heard of this term, this is one definition:
“Native advertising is basically saying to corporations that want to advertise, we will camouflage your ads to make them look like news stories. That’s essentially it.”

Even though I’ve never heard of the term, I belive it’s something we see regularly, especially in the age of social media.

That’s really horrible if true that this was not a real story. And if it is true, it is quite shocking that a mother would be so flippant about her baby who stopped breathing post vaccine and who used it as an opportunity to promote vaccines. Very cold.
Demoralized & infuriated; is how I felt. And a logical possibility as to why the vaccine-advocate mom was being attacked. Although, that's never right. Ever.

That sort of tactic is just not friendly to parents period; be they pro or former-vaccine.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:49 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Demoralized & infuriated; is how I felt. And a logical possibility as to why the vaccine-advocate mom was being attacked. Although, that's never right. Ever.

That sort of tactic is just not friendly to parents period; be they pro or former-vaccine.
It’s awful. I 100% believe that pharmaceutical companies use social media to promote their products. It’s cheap and it works. If people think they are getting advice or insight from a real person they are more likely to be swayed by that advice. I’m sure it happens all of the time. Even here on CD.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oops, I'm sorry! I sent you a rep point with a comment meant for another poster; I didn't want you to think I was being snarky!
I thought the comment made sense in response to my post so I'm a bit confused now but no worries, haha.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:54 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It's really funny to see anti-vaxers say they didn't keep their kids' vaccine records. I thought you guys didn't vaccinate! .
You have no idea what my medical history or history of my family is. AT all. Don't personalize a question with the ONLY INTENT to try to insult posters with whom you disagree. And don't try to "guess" why a question is being asked when your only intent .. again, is to insult.

For someone who was born between 1970 and 1985 ... how would they EVER get access to their vaccine record if they did not already have a copy? Those peds are dead. Long gone. There are no electronic records. Schools/colleges ditch records after 5-7 years. State registries are recent and do not go back that far.

So how would anyone be able to "prove" to someone like you that they were immunized? What proof would you demand from them and where are they supposed to get it?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It's also ridiculous to allege that doctors are only concerned about immunizations.
You need to meet more peds. Call 10 of them and ask how important vaccination is on a scale of 1 - 5.

Ask if it's the #1 priority for every patient visit.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:29 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Suzy, your devotion to vaccines clouds your ability to see clearly. I really do wonder who you work for. The only people I’ve seen this type of dedication from are lobbyists for vaccines or people like Dorit Reiss (maybe that’s who I’m speaking to?) or the other bloggers you promote such as Skeptical Raptor.

I wrote a long response to your long post but deleted it. Why bother. It’s pointless to discuss this with people who have their minds made up.
No, I am not Dorit Reiss (thanks for the compliment!), who writes about vaccines under her own name. Why would she come to CD to post anonymously? I am my husband's office manager. That is the only thing I get paid for doing (and not very much at that ).

You do not think that anti-vaxers lobby? Perhaps your anti-vax bias clouds your ability to see clearly how dangerous vaccine preventable diseases are.

The "bloggers" I "promote" are people who write about vaccines from a science based perspective. Since Dorit Reiss is an attorney she covers legal aspects. Yes, I have my mind "made up" because I have seen no evidence that would lead me to change it.

If I mention Dr. Paul Offit I am likely to get a response from anti-vaxers that calls him "Dr. Proffit" because he invented a vaccine and, actually, you know, made some money for doing so. Horrors! He made money for creating a vaccine that has saved lives, a small number in the US but ultimately millions going forward worldwide. Dr. Offit has also treated patients for measles, including during an epidemic in Philadelphia in 1991 in which nine children died. He knows what that blasted disease can do. It is not just a trivial itchy rash.

In contrast, you hold up Tetyana Obukhanych as your expert, who has repudiated the education for which she got a PhD, is not a physician, has no medical training, does not treat patients, and has not saved a single life.

It is pretty clear to me who the real expert is.

By the way, Dr. Offit sold his rights to the rotavirus vaccine he helped to develop. He no longer profits from it.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

You do not think that anti-vaxers lobby?
There are more pharma lobbyists than congressman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies