Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:29 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times

Advertisements

This is a states issue. Let Texas do what it wants in this regard and avoid Texas if you do not want to be caught with a drug. I personally believe it should be legal in every state, but then again, that's up to the state to decide and the feds should get out of it altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 09:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In a somewhat related (freedom to "be") case, a Fed judge just ruled Teachers don't have to sign a "I love Israel" pledge....which Texas had forced upon them.

Sooner or later, Texas will be dragged...kicking and screaming...into the modern Free World.
But maybe not before it takes down the ACA
What burns me the most is that over the years when Perry was governor and then Abbott, our state/state’s AG has WASTED so much money trying to pass laws or challenge Federal laws that the arch-conservatives, religious right support but really not that many average Texans
And they lost—-they have wasted millions of TX tax dollars—some of them mine—in this alt-right attempt to roll back time...

They KNOW they will lose in the courts but they don’t care because it is part of their campaign efforts to win reelection
Texas has low voter turn out
Most people with a liberal/moderate attitude just don’t vote much of the time because districts are gerrymandered to support the conservative GOP candidates...
When Beto ran a state-wide campaign he did lot to empower more liberal/moderate voters so that ground work has been laid

The state legislature has crapped on public education and educators for decades and over the past two years has started to feel that those involved in education—especially retired teachers and others—are fed up with the legislature treating state employees (themselves included in that category) much better than the state’s education employees—who have separate pension and health plans—-
Now the legislature is scared they better do something to placate those normally conservative voters before the next state wide elections...
There is a bill before the Legislature to pay into the teacher retirement fund some back contributions the legislature refused to pay over the years and to give retired teachers a one-time pension bump
This is ONLY because they are afraid they have p-o’ed this strong voting block...
Not because they CARE about their responsibility to pay the state’s share of teacher regiment funding or health care funding...
They use a totally separate formula for state and teacher plans—
The state’s plan is funded no matter the budget problems—not so the educators’ plans...

Old 04-26-2019, 09:36 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
It’s illegal. Don’t bring illegal things to an airport. Not sure why this is an issue for debate. If you don’t think drugs should be illegal then write your Congress person.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:24 AM

4,503 posts, read 1,860,634 times
I have yet to see a functional, educated person caught up in this CBD fad. It’s always trashy and/or poor people on facebook.

Just saying...

Old 04-26-2019, 10:25 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It’s illegal. Don’t bring illegal things to an airport. Not sure why this is an issue for debate. If you don’t think drugs should be illegal then write your Congress person.
Libs are way ok with ridiculous gun laws in CA and NY though. Hypocrites. The burger king menu of following laws.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:30 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I have yet to see a functional, educated person caught up in this CBD fad. It’s always trashy and/or poor people on facebook.

Just saying...
That’s unfortunate. Our best friends have a 15 year-old son who was a perfect baby and toddler until the age of 3, when he was afflicted with Lennox - Gastaut Syndrome, a terrible form of childhood-onset epilepsy. He stopped learning dead in his tracks, and maintained the mind of a three year-old until he was 11, when his parents put him on a trial of CBD oil. His sudden onset was a tragedy that still haunts me.

He is FOUR YEARS SEIZURE FREE now. FOUR years! From multiple seizures every single day to NONE. His parents have testified before Congress as to the miracle that we have all seen take place. It’s truly amazing to see what it has done for him.

The damage is done, and C will be behind forever ... but he is catching up! His speech, conversational ability, cognitive ability ... ALL improving even four years into his CBD trial.

It is a miracle drug. Nothing less.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Here is a case where a state might actually benefit from an influx of Californians. Crazy

Old 04-26-2019, 10:46 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
So just OBEY and COMPLY, no matter what...right? LOL

Would you have been one of those people back in the 1950s and 60s, that were calling police because a black person was seated in the 'wrong section' in a restaurant or on a bus, or drank from the 'wrong' water fountain?! Keep in mind though, today, its the people that refused to comply or disobeyed, that are recognized as doing the right thing.

When laws are unjust, it is our DUTY to refuse to comply/ disobey.
no. people who "refuse to comply or disobey" are looked at as dweebs. I am assuming you are referring to "protesters." literally the most embarrassing group of people in united states history.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:56 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
It's so sweet of that LE, many corrupt themselves, to "let you off" on their own personal decision...and "do you a favor" of not making a felon out of you.

I guess people in those states look at Freedom differently than some of us.

Not sure what you're getting at here. My point about the LE officer is that he and others routinely make traffic stops where they smell marijuana in the car and seize pot and limit it to a minor traffic warning if half an ounce for example is found in the car. The guy I know used an example of when he pulled an AA guy over for speeding and the heavy scent of marijuana was obvious. He simply asked the guy to be honest with him after he initially hemmed and hawed about having any weed in his car. The driver admitted he did and the LE officer simply seized it and let him off with a warning. Not exactly an example of the police state tactics you're describing.
You obviously don't get the point......sorry. I think many people do.

There is no reason "to be honest" or not...LE officers have let off millions of buzzed drivers and continue to do so. The laws are also quite lax even when charged in some locales.

I'm ready for the Era of Self-Driving cars....which will end some of the vast abuses of our freedoms by LE.

Even in NJ where I lived for 25 years, many people who were "of color" would not even drive through the edges of the wrong towns. That's in the 1990's.

The idea that LE is "letting us off" in itself disgusts me...perhaps it is because my sisters friends, who were underage at the time, were given certain propositions by said LE regarding the pot that was found in their car. This was reportedly quite normal....one couldn't even report it, because they would be laughed at.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post

Just saying...
Trashy poor people could buy opiates cheaper. Or really strong weed.

In a day and age when millions are taking SSRIs or whatever - many of them barely performing better than placebo, your statement falls on deaf ears. Perhaps big Pharma doesn't like vitamins, supplements, CDB or even weed...but that's no reason people can't use it.

Assuming it does nothing....then what's the problem?? Would they arrest me for concentrated apple juice tincture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies