Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 04:43 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Or you could love your child unconditionally.
Quote:
He's becoming who he was born to be. I'm proud of him. If only I could have had that courage at 14.
Loving your child unconditionally doesn't mean you have to accept the child (and state) doing an end-run around you. I have a 14 year old, (and 29, 12, and 11 year old). While each child is different, this is a very young age to be determining anything so serious.

I think "coming out" - if that's still an appropriate term - does take a lot of courage, and it's nice that this kid was able. I still think it's too early to start actually transitioning. There's still a boat load of growing to do, physically. Let the body mature a bit more. Tackles some of the emotional issues in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 04:50 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
He's becoming who he was born to be. I'm proud of him. If only I could have had that courage at 14.
what if she changes her mind in a couple years?
will you still be proud?

Old 04-26-2019, 04:54 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You have no idea who this person is. As others have said - it's now the trend to be bi, trans ect.. People get over fads - if at age 18 - the child still feels the same - start the change as you'll then be an adult and responsible for your own decisions - along with any costs that come with those decisions.

I have no idea why people say that kids shouldn't make decisions on what career to pursue the rest of their lives but the same people think that they are smart enough to make life altering decisions with their bodies.

If you honestly think I and others came out because it's trendy, you....I just don't even know what to say to that. It isn't trendy...it's effing dangerous. Forget the possible side effects of hormones, I have a 1 in 12 chance of being beaten to death every time I leave my apartment. Every time I go somewhere, I feel like I have a target on my back and I wonder if I'll make it back home. I was disowned, completely cut off from family. I lost most of my friends. I had to completely rebuild my life from scratch. I'm not following some effing trend. I am who I am.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:56 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Or you could love your child unconditionally.
Loving your child doesn't include condoning pernicious behaviour.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
If you honestly think I and others came out because it's trendy, you....I just don't even know what to say to that. It isn't trendy...it's effing dangerous. Forget the possible side effects of hormones, I have a 1 in 12 chance of being beaten to death every time I leave my apartment. Every time I go somewhere, I feel like I have a target on my back and I wonder if I'll make it back home. I was disowned, completely cut off from family. I lost most of my friends. I had to completely rebuild my life from scratch. I'm not following some effing trend. I am who I am.
You are way out of touch with the current crop of middle schoolers in many areas.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:10 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
You are way out of touch with the current crop of middle schoolers in many areas.

No offense to little people, but I'm just going to take that as a good thing.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
The father did more than that which is what really got him in trouble.

I feel bad for the child - no loving parent would ever mock his child, let alone doing so in public multiple times.

On another note, I find it disturbing that a court can dictate to parents what a fourteen year old child can and cannot do.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:17 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
How is the 14-year-old paying for the medical services?

Old 04-26-2019, 05:17 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
You are older, people your age who claimed to be transgendered faced incredible social blowback. No sane student during your middle school years would publicly proclaim they were transgendered, they might not even say it in whispers to their best friend. I taught middle school, during my teaching career I knew children who probably in their heart felt they were the wrong gender, not one time did I ever have a student say it or even hint it. I have a friend who is currently teaching that has six biological girls and two biological boys claiming to be transgender of her 103 students - way, way over the 0.6% of the population that researchers tell us make up the transgendered population.

It’s quite in vogue to be transgendered currently and out of England pediatricians are warning of an unusually high number of autistic girls claiming they are transgender boys.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:28 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Where in the hell do you live that every time you leave you might be beaten to death?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies