Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 12:13 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I never said it did.

What I saidf is that all places will be accessed in relation top food hygiene standards and if there is a serious breach they could be closed down.

In terms of jewellery, uncovered beard, piercings it can still be still noted as an area for improvement in relation to a follow up visit.
The topic of this thread is about tattoos & piercings. The topic is not about handwashing, exclusion of workers for illness, cooking temperatures, unapproved source, hot/cold holding temperatures or cleaning of equipment. It is about tattoos & piercings. In relation to the topic, an establishment will NOT be closed for workers wearing jewelry. An establishment will NOT be closed for workers having tattoos, that isn't even a violation in the food code. If workers have unrestrained hair or are wearing a lot of jewelry, the establishment can be written up a violation for that however, it is all covered under ONE violation. The report will not list each person in violation. So no, an establishment will NOT be closed for that. Understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 12:16 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
The topic of this thread is about tattoos & piercings. The topic is not about handwashing, exclusion of workers for illness, cooking temperatures, unapproved source, hot/cold holding temperatures or cleaning of equipment. It is about tattoos & piercings. In relation to the topic, an establishment will NOT be closed for workers wearing jewelry. An establishment will NOT be closed for workers having tattoos, that isn't even a violation in the food code. If workers have unrestrained hair or are wearing a lot of jewelry, the establishment can be written up a violation for that however, it is all covered under ONE violation. The report will not list each person in violation. So no, an establishment will NOT be closed for that. Understand?
pink is really the bottom line, well said

Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
People with tattoos and body piercing are scary
I try to focus on the transaction at hand and not their need to dress up for Halloween
This is helped by the fact that I have known many that I should have been afraid of -none of them had visible tattoos nor body piercing
People that want to make others afraid have issues not strength
Very little personal power
I wouldn't call them scary, just impulsive and too bored. You get one body, why on earth would you want to jeopardize your employment with tattoos and piecing and crazy hair color?

If I had my own company, I would do what I want, but as long as I work for someone else I'm going to present a professional image. My income depends on it.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
pink is really the bottom line, well said
Thanks. I just realized that poster doesn't live in the states, maybe it's different over there, I don't know.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:19 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
We don't really tip where I am, but I would tip for level of service, rather than presentation.

Would rather not get served by tattooed and pierced folk though .We recently had a waiter with stretched earlobes , and all manner of tats and steel protrusions -felt a bit like a freak show.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:22 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Many are covered in tattoos, let's not kid ourselves, okay? Many wear body piercings.

The bottom line is that Goth also have a different look.

You made it sound like many American waiters are covered in tattoos. This is certainly not true.
Goths were never covered in tattoos, especially in the 80's, they had white skin and tended to follow bands such as Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Mission, The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Alien Sex Fiend etc.

Tattoos in the 80's were no where near as popular as they are today, and there aren't as many Goths around anymore.

You still have gathering grounds for Goths, Whitby in Yorkshire being a favourite, as they like the creepy old streetsm it's links to Bram Stockers Dracula and Abbey and the other old and scary surroundngs. The pubs are still full of goths on weekend breaks in Whitby.

Whitby Goth Weekend - Wikipedia

Whitby will have FOUR goth festivals this year as rival events go head - Yorkshire Post

Old 04-28-2019, 12:27 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post

Once again I didnt say an establishment would be closed for that, what I said was in terms of jewellery, uncovered beard and piercings it can still be still noted as an area for improvement in relation to a follow up visit by inspectors, and you can still face fines or have your hygiene ranking lowered as a result.

In terms of food hygiene, the only jewellery allowed by food handlers is a wedding ring/band and that's it and by food handler that includes anyone who serves food in any capacity.

Tying back hair also helps to prevent contamination of food (such as hairs in food) and nets should be worn over long beards.

Any wound should be covered with a waterproof plaster. This should be in a "detectable" colour (usually blue) so that it is easily spotted if it were to fall off. Blue plasters can be bought from most supermarkets.

Personal Hygiene - Food Standards Agency

Old 04-28-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Once again I didnt say an establishment would be closed for that, what I said was in terms of jewellery, uncovered beard and piercings it can still be still noted as an area for improvement in relation to a follow up visit by inspectors, and you can still face fines or have your hygiene ranking lowered as a result.

In terms of food hygiene, the only jewellery allowed by food handlers is a wedding ring/band and that's it and by food handler that includes anyone who serves food in any capacity.

Tying back hair also helps to prevent contamination of food (such as hairs in food) and nets should be worn over long beards.

Any wound should be covered with a waterproof plaster. This should be in a "detectable" colour (usually blue) so that it is easily spotted if it were to fall off. Blue plasters can be bought from most supermarkets

Personal Hygiene - Food Standards Agency
I know the food code, trust me. The only time an establishment will get a fee is if the violation is a repeat violation, whether from the previous year, or if the violation hasn't been corrected in the follow up inspection.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This thought is based on old societal standards that you now pine for, but no longer exist.

Your thread title states he was a good waiter. Stop thinking you should punish him for living with the times and making choices that are apparently acceptable to his manager and the company he works for.
I’d find another restaurant as I’d question the thought processes that lead to hiring someone for customer-facing job, and worry that such poor judgment also might extend to their food preparation process. Tipping would not enter into the encounter.

People have a right to “express” themselves. I have just as much right to an opinion on such expressions when they do so in public.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:57 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Everyone and their mother has tattoos nowadays. It used to be something only sailors and prostitutes did.

I wouldn't tip him less based on that but having tattoos doesn't really help anything either. Seems like people who have less money have the most visible tattoos.
From what ive seen, neck and face tattoos seem to be accepted today for the most part (these were always frowned upon back in my days).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies