Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 01:08 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

I would probably tip the same but I might not be back again. Seeing all those tattoos would make me lose my appetite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 02:40 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The Marines point is valid. As little as 30 years ago it was perfectly normal to smoke in most restaurants. People smoked in all bars. Parents routinely smoked in cars with their children inside and the windows up. Today that would be called child abuse..
No its not...

It has been pointed out several times in this thread that we are talking about the context of a typical tattoo'd person in good standing with a restaurant. This implies someone typical of today's time period who has been contributing to the success of a business. This means their outward look isn't detracting from business and the owner/operator of said business has accepted it. We are not talking about fringe outliers here...

At its core, the thread is about whether or not one's own initial assessment of another person based on looks alone would cause a change in how they treat said person. This is really very similar to discussions of whether or not racial profiling is acceptable in law enforcement. This isn't about the wider topic of social acceptance. You may not accept a person's interests, looks, or being but are you willing to measure based on the context of work output/service alone?

Smoking was perfectly normal 30 years ago because the health risk of second hand smoke weren't understood/known. Going further back, athletes used to smoke before their performance because it was believed that smoking opened up the lungs. If smoking didn't impact the health risks of those around you, it would still be perfectly routine and acceptable to smoke in restaurants and cars with windows up with children.

Two completely different things.

The equivalent of USMC's approach would be around a discussion on whether or not one's assessment of service of another person would change if they were a gun owner assuming he/she is in good standing at their place of business. Are you willing to measure a worker by their service/output despite their political standing on gun ownership that you may not agree with? Then someone posted implied that gun owners are killers and posted pictures of mass shooters.

Last edited by usayit; 04-30-2019 at 03:10 AM..

Old 04-30-2019, 02:41 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It’s sad to see a young, handsome, energetic waiter who is loaded with tattoos and mouth rings? I’ll still tip the guy, but I’d tip him more if he looked decent. When I was growing up, you had to pretty much dress the part to suit the customers (not the other way around). Why even hire someone like this? Is that all they can find?
I hope that I would tip based on the minimum 15% plus any extra for superior service but I guess most are influenced by how others look.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:42 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I would probably tip the same but I might not be back again. Seeing all those tattoos would make me lose my appetite.
You bring up a point, I do worry that people with tats are former jail birds that might have AIDS or Hep C.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
A few of you mentioned doctors. My dad was once assigned a new doctor who had tattoos. My dad called the office the next day and told them to give him another doctor. He wasn't comfortable with a tattooed doctor. I wish we still had people who thought like my dad...although I can see a few still exist by reading this thread.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:52 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It’s sad to see a young, handsome, energetic waiter who is loaded with tattoos and mouth rings? I’ll still tip the guy, but I’d tip him more if he looked decent. When I was growing up, you had to pretty much dress the part to suit the customers (not the other way around). Why even hire someone like this? Is that all they can find?
Short answer is no.
I'd tip them exactly the same.
On the other hand would I employ someone in a decent job if they looked like the front cover of an Iron Maiden LP and the answer is an unequivocal no.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
I can't wait until the old, fuddy-duddy generation's influence wanes. Chances are they don't like the way you look either.

If they're good at their job, tip them accordingly. My initial thought would be 'this looks like a fun person'.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
A few of you mentioned doctors. My dad was once assigned a new doctor who had tattoos. My dad called the office the next day and told them to give him another doctor. He wasn't comfortable with a tattooed doctor. I wish we still had people who thought like my dad...although I can see a few still exist by reading this thread.

Why? A friend of mine is a neurologist. With long hair, tattoos, and travels for Phish concerts with his wife who also has tattoos and a nose ring. They're some of the nicest people I know and they have the sweetest, most well behaved kids I've ever met. I've never needed his medical services but he seems to be doing quite well for himself.

Why are some of you people so judgmental?

Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Why? A friend of mine is a neurologist. With long hair, tattoos, and travels for Phish concerts with his wife who also has tattoos and a nose ring. They're some of the nicest people I know and they have the sweetest, most well behaved kids I've ever met. I've never needed his medical services but he seems to be doing quite well for himself.

Why are some of you people so judgmental?
Nobody is sayng you can't have tattoos, when it becomes a problem is if they are on prominant areas such as the face, neck or hands, are excessive or are offensive in nature.

Most Hospitals demand in their own dress cose policy that staff look clean and tidy, that hair is kept tidy and tied back, that beards are kept tidy/clean and that jrwellery and piercings are removed, as they can carry germs.

It's just a question if using your own common sense.

In terms of a hospital consultant, I would expect them to be well turned out and very clean.

Dress Code Policy - Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust

Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Nobody is sayng you can't have tattoos, when it becomes a problem is if they are on prominant areas such as the face, neck or hands, are excessive or are offensive in nature.

Most Hospitals demand staff look clean and tidy, that hair is kept tidy and tied back, that beards are kept tidy/clean and that jwellery and piercings are removed, as they can carry germs.

It's just a question if using your own common sense.

In terms of a hospital consultant, I would expect them to be well turned out and very clean.

Dress Code Policy - Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust

I suggest you never peek behind the kitchen doors. Read Kitchen Confidential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies