Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 12:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/26/n...imes&smtyp=cur

Are you registered to vote in New York City? If so, then anyone can find out your party affiliation, full name and home address down to the apartment number — all with a few mouse clicks.

The city’s Board of Elections recently posted its voter enrollment lists to its website, a massive upload of thousands of pages, covered in tiny all-caps letters, that offer a district-by-district breakdown of voters sorted by party and street name — one line for each of the 4.6 million active registered voters.

City officials said that the information was already public record, and that a new forum did not change its availability. But the move raised alarms among privacy advocates and some election experts, who said the ease of access could play into the hands of mail scammers, internet trolls and domestic violence perpetrators.

register to vote in NYC and any nut, activist, employer, stalker has access to your address, your apt. number, and your party affiliation. Quite the price to pay for voting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 12:38 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
They never have been private.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:42 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
But knowing your party affiliation isn't the same thing as knowing how you vote.
I have been a registered Republican most of my life, but I voted for Democrats as often as I did for Republicans. I have always voted my conscience, not a party line.

On Ancestry when doing genealogy you can often find out what party your ancestors were.

And You would be surprised to find out what people can find out about you online.
Voter registration is public record. It's never really been private.
How you vote in the voting booth itself, should be private, and is.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:45 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They never have been private.
Apparently, the records were available with a few hoops. this has changed as of January, 2019. did you read the article posted?

In New York, anyone can request comprehensive voter data from the state or local Board of Elections, which usually provides the information on a compact disc. Political parties have long used the information to target their fliers, phone calls and door-knocking campaigns.

But Albert Fox Cahn, the executive director of the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, a privacy advocacy group, said there was a “big difference” between information that is technically public as a matter of law, and functionally and immediately available to anybody who wants it.

Most jurisdictions will release voter data only after a request from someone who must give their name and contact information, or will give the data only to certain groups, such as political parties. Some charge a nominal fee.

That may be a low bar for access, but it is an important one nonetheless, said Jessica Baldwin-Philippi, an assistant professor at Fordham University who studies digital media and political campaigns.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-28-2019 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-28-2019, 12:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I think we should all assume that absolutely nothing is private anymore.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:55 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Listed by district number and affiliation.

https://www.vote.nyc.ny.us/html/forms/enrollment.shtml

Old 04-28-2019, 01:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
My wife ran for office and they brought in a consultant (yes, even in little towns this is how it is done).

This was pre-internet...or at least "not todays inter web".

They knew everything....in a general sense. It's not hard to take that data and overlay it on campaign and other contributions, which are (or were - before Citizens United, etc.) public.

Basically they knew who the likely voters were and how they voted.

In other news, today you can look at my house online and even see my hot tub. You can find out the property taxes I paid....there are even companies who put ALL that data together and will dice and slice it any way you want to target me perfectly.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-...ult-2018-06-27

"it does include phone numbers, email and postal addresses as well as more than 400 personal characteristics, such as whether a person is a smoker, if they own a dog or cat, their religion and a multitude of personal interests"

400? Can any of us even think of 400 personal characteristics on ourselves?

This is the new normal and was exactly how Cambridge Analytica operated. You can effectively target any of those 400 characteristics. If I know you love cats I can have you see ads online or send you postcards saying Joe Dog wants to do away with Cats.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:15 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think we should all assume that absolutely nothing is private anymore.
Political candidates running for office use any and all lists available.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:07 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Shrug, I signed a petition to recall our governor a few years ago & that petition was released. I didn't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies