Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 11:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Do you allow your kids to go to the mall? There are people carrying guns there. The grocery store? People are armed. Restaurants? People who carry guns have to eat.

I've carried in all of those places and more. I try and pay attention to see if anyone else is carrying. I see it every so often. Not long ago I was walking through Sam's Club with my wife and 13 year old nephew. We turned the corner at the end of an aisle and I asked "Did you see what kind of gun that guy was carrying?" Neither had noticed a guy open carrying a Sig Sauer and we walked within 4 feet of him.
This good guy was armed in the mall and the cops shot him dead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/u...ing-death.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 12:43 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"I'm sorry, I shot and killed little Stevie and Brenda, I feared for my life".

We see this many times with those who are supposed to be trained.
It's estimated that one out of three Americans own guns. That equates to about 110 million people. According to USA Today, hardly a pro gun publication, that approximately one child a week under the age of 12 is killed accidentally by firearm. That's 52 out of 110 million. Last year it was 73.

Quote:
Children under age 12 die from gun accidents in the United States about once a week, on average. Almost every death begins with the same basic circumstances: an unsecured and loaded gun, a guardian’s lapse in attention. USA TODAY and AP--/www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2019/03/19/gun-deaths-shooting-accidents-killed-73-kids-last-year/3032060002/
I couldn't find any statistics for the number of children who were accidentally shot by someone who is supposedly trained defending themselves while fearing for their lives. I tried to find an unbiased source so I went to Wikipedia. According to them:

Quote:
Firearms permit holders in active shooter incidents.

In 2016 FBI analyzed 40 "active shooter incidents" in 2014 and 2015 where bystanders were put in peril in on-going incidents that could be affected by police or citizen response. Six incidents were successfully ended when citizens intervened.

In two stops citizens restrained the shooters, one unarmed, one with pepper spray. In two stops at schools, the shooters were confronted by teachers: one shooter disarmed, one committed suicide. In two stops citizens with firearms permits exchanged gunfire with the shooter.

In a failed stop attempt, a citizen with a firearms permit was killed by the shooter.

In 2018 the FBI analyzed 50 active shooter incidents in 2016 and 2017. This report focused on policies to neutralize active shooters to save lives. In 10 incidents citizens confronted an active shooter. In eight incidents the citizens stopped the shooter.

Four stops involved unarmed citizens who confronted and restrained or blocked the shooter or talked the shooter into surrender. Four stops involved citizens with firearms permits: two exchanged gunfire with a shooter and two detained the shooter at gunpoint for arrest by responding police. Of the two failed stops, one involved a permit holder who exchanged gunfire with the shooter but the shooter fled and continued shooting and the other involved a permit holder who was wounded by the shooter.

"Armed and unarmed citizens engaged the shooter in 10 incidents. They safely and successfully ended the shootings in eight of those incidents. Their selfless actions likely saved many lives."[138]
Quote:
What percent of concealed carry permit holders are involved in violent crimes...
www.quora.com/What-percent-of-concealed-carry...
What percent of concealed carry permit holders are involved in violent crimes? From the evidence we have, it is much lower than the rates of the general population. Texas keeps and publishes such statistics (by law) so you can start any serious research there. Concealed carry license holders are notoriously law abiding.

How many people who have purchased a gun legally commit ...
www.quora.com/How-many-people-who-have-purchased...
The police commit approximately 100 or so crimes for 100,000 officers. Gun permit holders commit about 2.4 or 5 per 100,000. Now, there have been cases of mass shooters with carry permits (mass shooters kill three or more people), but there also have been concealed permit holders who have either stopped a mass shooter, or limited the number of ...
In my home State of Arizona:

Quote:
How many permit-holders use guns to commit crimes?

The Violence Policy Center found that in the United States between May 2007 and April 2009, fifty-six deaths resulted from gun crimes committed by CCW permit-holders. Whether this anti-gun organization derived its number objectively or creatively, we accept the claim. Using the VPC data, U.S. Department of Justice statistics on nationwide gun murders, and Arizona's 290 firearms homicides spread over a population of 6.5 million, your chances of being gunned down by a CCW permit-holder in that state are a bit more than one in ten million.---

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...tml#ixzz5mVjtd

Old 04-29-2019, 12:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
It's estimated that one out of three Americans own guns. That equates to about 110 million people. According to USA Today, hardly a pro gun publication, that approximately one child a week under the age of 12 is killed accidentally by firearm. That's 52 out of 110 million. Last year it was 73.
Irrelevant to the point of what happens in a stressful situation. As I noted, we see it happen far too often with trained law enforcement officers.

People complain about what teachers make now. Are you going to pay more in taxes to send these teachers off for training and yearly retraining?

Old 04-29-2019, 12:53 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Let's arm the children.
Include firearms training in education.

Frontier children certainly safely handled firearms.
(Daniel Boone?)

Old 04-29-2019, 12:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I live in a right to carry state- people still commit multiple murders, commit robbery, and participate in any number of crimes. If I buy a chicken sandwich in SC it is with full knowledge that 2-3 people in the room are possibly carrying. Nut jobs and evil doers will remain nut jobs and evil doers...
Agreed. It's amazing that anyone thinks that everyone packing heat will stop killings. I mean, the Old West was full of shootings and everyone had guns strapped to their hips then, too.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
My daughter (student) like I, was armed since she was 16.... No one had to know.
Taking college classes today, I bet money, she has her revolver in her waistband.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Let's arm the children.
Include firearms training in education.

Frontier children certainly safely handled firearms.
(Daniel Boone?)
That is what we had.
Shotguns and rifles in our lockers, if we didn't have a car/truck yet.
2nd grade show & tell, they all learned about my Savage .410 pump shotgun.
We had gun safety and marksmanship in gym class for a month, 6th, & 7th grades.
That would never fly around here today, with so many brainwashed delicate snowflakes, with kids in public school.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:36 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Irrelevant to the point of what happens in a stressful situation. As I noted, we see it happen far too often with trained law enforcement officers.

People complain about what teachers make now. Are you going to pay more in taxes to send these teachers off for training and yearly retraining?
Of course it's relevant to the point. You're just speculating. At least I was able to provide a source of information regarding incidents where civilians were successful in preventing criminal acts according to the FBI.
Quote:
In 2018 the FBI analyzed 50 active shooter incidents in 2016 and 2017. This report focused on policies to neutralize active shooters to save lives. In 10 incidents citizens confronted an active shooter. In eight incidents the citizens stopped the shooter.
I don't know, I think I'd rather have an 80% chance of neutralizing an active shooter, than have no chance at all?

I don't think the answer is to just allow the shooting to continue until the police arrive to take out the shooter? Now you want to change the subject as to who is willing to pay more in taxes to train and arm teachers? Good try at deflecting. My guess is that if it came to that many would support paying more in taxes?

At least where I live in Arizona many teachers already have concealed weapons permits. Even though a permit is not required by state law to carry open or concealed. Many of those teachers have been brought up around guns. I've even taken tactical handgun courses with some of them. I can't imagine any one of them thinking that if someone were to come in and start shooting that they're glad they have a cell phone instead of a gun?

However school grounds are designated as gun free zones and are off limits for those who carry legally. I don't think you're gonna' find too many teachers/school employees willing to get arrested, charged, and prosecuted along with losing their jobs and benefits? Obviously those gun free zones are of no deterrent to those who choose to commit mass murder. They're just words on a sign to them.

However I do agree with you 100% from your previous posts about this:
Quote:
When someone has the intention of doing something like this, nothing is going to stop them. All the kid has to do is pull up front with his trunk full of fertilizer. Are we going to put blockades around every school?

A kid could decide to take people out at a movie theater. Do we arm every usher? Maybe if there are two they decide to just randomly pick kids off while driving by. Do we ban cars?
Actually all they'd need is some gasoline, a rag, a glass container and a match. That's all it took for the Happy Land fire in 1990 that killed 87. That's 28 more than the 59 that Paddock took out with a bunch of AR-15's equipped with bump stocks.

And especially this:
Quote:
I prefer we concentrate on addressing the issues that would lead to someone wanting to do this in the first place.
Now you're on to something. It's too bad the emphasis is always on inanimate objects and the willingness to give up our civil liberties all in the name of public safety.

Quote:
“But to ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow.

“A law which restricts the liberty of the innocent because of the behavior of the guilty, that rests on the principle that the conduct of criminals [or psychos] dictates the scope of liberty for the rest of society, in no sense ‘fights’ crime.” 
For society has permitted its fear of crime, and craving for safety, to turn the force of law against the innocent and law-abiding. Far from fighting crime, the criminalization of otherwise innocent activities represents a society in retreat from crime. This is a society desperately accommodating itself to crime.”
— Jeff Snyder

Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
If a would-be killer had fore-knowledge that a certain school employed armed teachers, he would have the sense to avoid that school because he'd never know which teachers were armed and would shoot him dead.

After all everyone knows that school shooters are afraid to die.

What sane parent would send their kid(s) to a school with armed teachers ?

That is an accident waiting to happen. Teachers are already under paid and you want to add more responsibility ?

Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times
You had me at "sane killer"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies