Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Is there a point to these kinds of self congratulatory and grandstanding 'viral' moments? Totally inappropriate to discuss that kind of private stuff on a big moment on stage.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/byu-m...105359266.html
Brave person...
Let his words bear witness to what a gay person can achieve
And I am sure he was lauded and congratulated and held up as proof of excellence until he revealed the truth about sexuality...

Your sexuality is as much about the person you are as your GPA—more so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 12:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's Brigham Young University.

I would be checking his bank account and see if someone gave him a big fact check to say this.
Or not to
Likely it wasn’t part of his admission essay...

Old 04-30-2019, 12:14 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
You just told the other poster they have probably asked that question of someone. Why would you do that?
the poster asked why someone would feel the need to announce their sexuality. I gave him a reason and an example of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can't think of anytime I've ever asked anyone this. I suppose there are valid reasons to ask but I can't think of many and none have applied to me.
There arent really any valid reasons to do so, but people do it, whether to be nosey or "expose" someone or so on and so forth. It happens.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:17 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the poster asked why someone would feel the need to announce their sexuality. I gave him a reason and an example of it.

No, you assumed that poster has asked it. Sure there are nosy people but you should not assume everyone is of that character. Plenty don't give a darn who you sleep with and also don't feel anyone needs to announce it as a badge of honor. LGBT are no more special than anyone else.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
There arent really any valid reasons to do so, but people do it, whether to be nosey or "expose" someone or so on and so forth. It happens.
I shouldn't tell this.....LOL. My wife dated a gay man before I met her. Her parents and his were friends. From what I understand the signs were many. I could see her asking at some point "are you sure you aren't gay"?

From what I've heard he is in a long term relationship with another guy and doing well now.

So there might be the rare occasion where the question is valid.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I shouldn't tell this.....LOL. My wife dated a gay man before I met her. Her parents and his were friends. From what I understand the signs were many. I could see her asking at some point "are you sure you aren't gay"?

From what I've heard he is in a long term relationship with another guy and doing well now.

So there might be the rare occasion where the question is valid.
I disagree.

Dating is experimental, and men are pretty much told you cant be bisexual. So while he and your wife may not have worked out(good for you), that doesnt mean he wasnt actually attracted to her.

I recently had this conversation with a friend who was into a guy but thought he may be gay, my advice to her was to simply ask him if he was into her, not specifically women. Because the flip side of this argument is pissing off a straight guy by questioning his masculinity or your(her) perception of it.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
No, you assumed that poster has asked it. Sure there are nosy people but you should not assume everyone is of that character. Plenty don't give a darn who you sleep with and also don't feel anyone needs to announce it as a badge of honor. LGBT are no more special than anyone else.
I actually said probably, which is a percentage change, not an assumption of guilt.

not sure why you care though because instead of debating the subject, you are nitpicking over arbitrary things.

Would like like it better if I said " someone has likely asked him the question"

Old 04-30-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I disagree.

Dating is experimental, and men are pretty much told you cant be bisexual. So while he and your wife may not have worked out(good for you), that doesnt mean he wasnt actually attracted to her.

I recently had this conversation with a friend who was into a guy but thought he may be gay, my advice to her was to simply ask him if he was into her, not specifically women. Because the flip side of this argument is pissing off a straight guy by questioning his masculinity or your(her) perception of it.
Maybe........but every situation is likely different. But rare.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe........but every situation is likely different. But rare.
I dont think it is all that rare, atleast in the context of someone who actually is LGBT, or those who dont meet traditionally masculine standards.

using myself for an example, people asked my sexuality all the time. It gets tiring, and some people choose a public coming out because of it so they dont have to be asked when a random friend or family member gets the mental urge to ask.

I think this student did it for 2 reasons, the second being to bring awareness to BYU, and its own students

Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I dont think it is all that rare, atleast in the context of someone who actually is LGBT, or those who dont meet traditionally masculine standards.

using myself for an example, people asked my sexuality all the time. It gets tiring, and some people choose a public coming out because of it so they dont have to be asked when a random friend or family member gets the mental urge to ask.

I think this student did it for 2 reasons, the second being to bring awareness to BYU, and its own students
It doesn't matter to me why he did it. He worked hard to earn the right to say what he wanted. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies