Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What do you see when you look at Saudi Arabia or Iran? ( if you look in the direction of Islamic countries at all? )
That isn't what we are doing here. I feel we need to clean up our own backyard before demanding (at the end of a gun) for others to do so.

I'm not a fan of what the governments of Saudi Arabia, Iran or the United States does. That means nothing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Cammon. SI is championing Islam through this action, the same way they did in the last Olympics over fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad. It looks and feels to many like a systemic attempt to normalize Muslim women and their religious garb here in America. It’s not like we don’t already have women in America who wear certain headdress and clothes per their religion. We’ve always had that. We’ve never championed that, however. We have never paid any special attention to, or celebrated, “firsts” of Catholic, Fundamental Christian, Amish/Mennonite/Hebrew/Buddhist/Hindu women. We just don’t. We don’t celebrate them for their religious value, their religious uniform, nothing ... nada. And yet over the past few years we’ve seen repeated attempts to normalize and even CELEBRATE Muslim women’s garb here in America. Why is that? And why on Earth should it come as a surprise that many MANY American women don’t just say f.u. but a loud EFFFFYOUUU to the notion that women in 2019, including here in America, are still submitting to this sexist crap.
I've got to sign off now, and obviously the ignorance isn't going to go away over night, certainly not in this forum anyway, but just give your logic a bit more thought if you will...

First, why would S.I. champion Islam to begin with? I'd bet my bottom dollar there are as many Muslims working for S.I. as there are Muslims commenting in this thread.

More the case, I truly believe, what seems "a systemic attempt" to people like you is more like a mental predisposition against all things Islamic period. At best or worst depending on your perspective is an attempt to "normalize" diversity. This too about how we don't "champion" women of other faith is just daft. Obviously what is "championed" in America for a long time now is pretty much the blonde barbie like woman, regardless what faith. How is anyone supposed to know the faith of any women in the SI swimsuit edition or on the cover of any fashion magazine when women of other faiths don't necessarily wear clothes that is distinctive that way?

You may have all your twisted notions about what is being "championed" but "cammon" yourself! It's called fashion! All these other women who have been featured for decades now have been championing what far as you are concerned? Anything but beauty? This model too is not simply beautiful? Given her resume and features in other glamour magazines? You see something else do you?

It's not Islam being "celebrated." It's as she explains (see below). That and simply what this woman wears because of her faith or she isn't going to pose for these magazines. Perhaps not an issue for women of other faiths. So? Fact is, most of the fundamental followers of the other faiths you mention would NEVER pose in the same dress the women in the S.I. swimsuit edition are posing in. Hello?

You and yours who attach all this "baggage" to what a woman may choose to wear, rather than simply accept this is the dress she chooses, is your problem. Not hers, not America's, unless the woman is actually being forced to wear something she does not want to wear (like you seem inclined to do). Again, in the case of this model, she wears what she does because she wants to, because she is free to do so!

A woman who believes a Burqa expresses modesty and devotion to her faith is not a threat to you or me, though I too question the reason for that faith. We should all be saying not only "f.u. but a loud EFFFFYOUUU to the notion that women in 2019, including here in America, are still submitting to this sexist crap." However, let's not be even more ignorant to assume all women who cover up are "submitting to sexism." Let's not make matters worse by allowing men in America to decide such things. We simply need to promote the sort of freedom and diversity that allows women to be free along these lines, to do what they want, as clearly Halima is doing!

Hey, but rather than you or me decide why Halima or S.I. is doing what they are doing, what if we listened to Halima herself instead? Her words, her motives, count at all far as you are concerned? Even a little?

"Don’t change yourself .. Change the GAME!! Ladies anything is possible!!! Being in Sports Illustrated is so much bigger than me. It’s sending a message to my community and the world that women of all different backgrounds, looks, upbringings... can stand together and be celebrated. Thank you so much @si_swimsuit & the entire team for giving me this incredible opportunity."

Very scary stuff. I know, but I've got to sign off now and somehow I think America will weather this serious threat just like we usually do, if we stay calm and patient for the ignorance to pass about this too...

Last edited by LearnMe; 04-30-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 12:22 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've got to sign off now, and obviously the ignorance isn't going to go away over night, certainly not in this forum anyway, but just give your logic a bit more thought if you will...

First, why would S.I. champion Islam to begin with? I'd bet my bottom dollar there are as many Muslims working for S.I. as there are Muslims commenting in this thread.

More the case, I truly believe, what seems "a systemic attempt" to people like you is more like a mental predisposition against all things Islamic period. At best or worst depending on your perspective is an attempt to "normalize" diversity. This too about how we don't "champion" women of other faith is just daft. Obviously what is "championed" in America for a long time now is pretty much the blonde barbie like woman, regardless what faith. How is anyone supposed to know the faith of any women in the SI swimsuit edition or on the cover of any fashion magazine when women of other faiths don't necessarily wear clothes that is distinctive that way?

You may have all your twisted notions about what is being "championed" but "cammon" yourself! It's called fashion! All these other women who have been featured for decades now have been championing what far as you are concerned? Anything but beauty? This model too is not simply beautiful? Given her resume and features in other glamour magazines? You see something else do you?

It's not Islam being "celebrated." It's as she explains (see below). That and simply what this woman wears because of her faith or she isn't going to pose for these magazines. Perhaps not an issue for women of other faiths. So? Fact is, most of the fundamental followers of the other faiths you mention would NEVER pose in the same dress the women in the S.I. swimsuit edition are posing in. Hello?

You and yours who attach all this "baggage" to what a woman may choose to wear, rather than simply accept this is the dress she chooses, is your problem. Not hers, not America's, unless the woman is actually being forced to wear something she does not want to wear (like you seem inclined to do). Again, in the case of this model, she wears what she does because she wants to, because she is free to do so!

A woman who believes a Burqa expresses modesty and devotion to her faith is not a threat to you or me, though I too question the reason for that faith. We should all be saying not only "f.u. but a loud EFFFFYOUUU to the notion that women in 2019, including here in America, are still submitting to this sexist crap." However, let's not be even more ignorant to assume all women who cover up are "submitting to sexism." Let's not make matters worse by allowing men in America to decide such things. We simply need to promote the sort of freedom and diversity that allows women to be free along these lines, to do what they want, as clearly Halima is doing!

Hey, but rather than you or me decide why Halima or S.I. is doing what they are doing, what if we listened to Halima herself instead? Her words, her motives, count at all far as you are concerned? Even a little?

"Don’t change yourself .. Change the GAME!! Ladies anything is possible!!! Being in Sports Illustrated is so much bigger than me. It’s sending a message to my community and the world that women of all different backgrounds, looks, upbringings... can stand together and be celebrated. Thank you so much @si_swimsuit & the entire team for giving me this incredible opportunity."

Very scary stuff. I know, but I've got to sign off now and somehow I think America will weather this serious threat just like we usually do, if we stay calm and patient for the ignorance to pass about this too...
I appreciate your friendly discourse and the time that you take to post such thoughtful replies. You have a great way of expressing yourself and I for one appreciate that skill.

All of that said, I disagree with every sentiment in defense of a woman covering herself as a covenant of her faith ... particularly when such faith requires subservience and fear of men.

You’d think that I am just a product of my liberal feminist upbringing in San Francisco. But that’s not it at all ... not by a long shot. I am simply repulsed by the attempts of American media to now normalize the complete freakin’ opposite of what I was taught by feminist liberals my entire life. It’s so convoluted. How do some not see it?

My bottom line? Islam ain’t cool. Burkas and hijabs and burkinis ain’t cool. Feminist liberals have turned out to be full of crap on this one, and so is the notion that Islam is hip. It ain’t.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your friendly discourse and the time that you take to post such thoughtful replies. You have a great way of expressing yourself and I for one appreciate that skill.

All of that said, I disagree with every sentiment in defense of a woman covering herself as a covenant of her faith ... particularly when such faith requires subservience and fear of men.
What makes you think she fears men?

Quote:
You’d think that I am just a product of my liberal feminist upbringing in San Francisco. But that’s not it at all ... not by a long shot. I am simply repulsed by the attempts of American media to now normalize the complete freakin’ opposite of what I was taught by feminist liberals my entire life. It’s so convoluted. How do some not see it?
I'm generalizing here but it is pretty true. Feminist Liberals mostly disappeared when it came down to condemning Bill Clinton.

Quote:
My bottom line? Islam ain’t cool. Burkas and hijabs and burkinis ain’t cool. Feminist liberals turned out to be full of crap on this, and so is the notion that Islam is hip. It ain’t.
Then most certainly, you should not participate in any of that.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:29 PM

393 posts, read 409,413 times
Yuck

Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Some posters don't get that most of us don't care what a woman chooses to wear. If i saw her at a beach, I would be "Meh, whatever". But in a publication's issue that is purely done to be viewed as sexy, thisvis just purely being done to virtue signal.
The muslim belief is women should be modest, and not be objectified. This, on its own, goes against that. This magazine wouldn't be allowed in many muslim countries.
Again...this is no different, and no less virtue signaling, than if a woman in a burka posed for playboy. It's just stupid.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Some posters don't get that most uf us don't care what a woman chooses to wear. If i saw her at a beach, I would be "Meh, whatever". But in a publication's issue that is purely done to be viewed as sexy, thisvis just purely being done to virtue signal.
It's not done for that reason. It's done to get publicity and sell issues. It's done the first.........Will it do the second? I don't know nor do I care.

Quote:
The muslim bief is women should be modest, and not be objectified. This, on its own, goes against that. This magazine wouldn't be allowed in many muslim countries.
Again...this is no different, and no less virtue signaling, than if a womanbin a burka posed for playboy. Its just stupid.
This isn't many countries. As an aside, Playboy was created to develop the idea of bringing alternative views into the mainstream. While it was a joke about "I only read it for the articles" Playboy was indeed known for it's articles. The naked women got people to read the articles but...........to me this simply says "women can be whatever they want to be".

Old 04-30-2019, 12:45 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That isn't what we are doing here.

We are talking about the ISLAMIC garb, promoted by S.I.
Saudi Arabia is the country where *Holy Quran* serves as the country's constitution.
Iran is the country of Islamic Revolution with all the following consequences.

Quote:
I feel we need to clean up our own backyard before demanding (at the end of a gun) for others to do so.

Oh but if "we need to clean up our own backyard" before doing anything else, why promote foreign hostile values which only ADD to a mess that's already here?

Quote:
I'm not a fan of what the governments of Saudi Arabia, Iran or the United States does. That means nothing here.

How convenient, however this brings us right back to the point one, i.e.

"We are talking about the ISLAMIC garb, promoted by S.I.
Saudi Arabia is the country where *Holy Quran* serves as the country's constitution.
Iran is the country of Islamic Revolution with all the following consequences."

Old 04-30-2019, 12:46 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Some posters don't get that most of us don't care what a woman chooses to wear. If i saw her at a beach, I would be "Meh, whatever". But in a publication's issue that is purely done to be viewed as sexy, thisvis just purely being done to virtue signal.
The muslim belief is women should be modest, and not be objectified. This, on its own, goes against that. This magazine wouldn't be allowed in many muslim countries.
Again...this is no different, and no less virtue signaling, than if a woman in a burka posed for playboy. It's just stupid.
Yes ... all of this. And then on top of that, they treat it as a ground-breaking celebration of female empowerment, with people “crying” over this “first”. How many Muslim firsts of hijab-wearing women are Western women supposed to celebrate??? Why is this pushed as something of importance to us?

Old 04-30-2019, 12:49 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Shoot, Muhammad got her own Barbie doll. A goddamn Barbie Doll! For dressing in the manner of a repressed Muslim female! We want our daughters to celebrate that?!

https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us...mad-doll-fjh67

..Yet cleverly disguised ( yet again) as the fencing outfit, he-he.
Why not straightforward burka Afghan style I wonder?
This wouldn't look as cute, now would it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies