Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 12:22 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Congrats!

Sports Illustrated must think so highly of itself.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/halima-ade...nd-beauty.html

I wonder if they learned anything from Gillette's recent mistake?

PC doesn't sell, particularly to a publication which is directed toward "toxic white males".

Their marketing director should be immediately fired. They are most likely a PC SJW who has no clue about appealing to their demographic. I would rather see the World Champion Boston Red Sox in bikinis than some chick in a "burkini". At least that would be funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 12:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am not "complaining."
You are.

Quote:
I am asking a legitimate question.
And the question is, why the "left" P.C. crowd is so up in arms against the restrictive tenets of Christianity, yet is full of admiration when it comes to manifestation of Islamic restrictions?

I'd like to get to the bottom of it, thank you in advance.
I can not answer your vast generalizations. I am a Christian.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting, I've got some friends from Iraq that tell me a much different story.
People get upset when you are constantly dropping bombs on them.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:30 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The SI, objectifying women via viewing them with a sexual purpose/desire. The burkini, a garb worn to cover up, reduce the visible skin, to reduce and conceal, to remove the desire part.

They might as well end the SI then, if it is no longer about swimsuits and it is about "beauty" only.
Like I said earlier, some men seem to have better imaginations than others - and some men are broad minded enough to appreciate many forms of beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
SI is just being hypocritical. Their audience is not the Muslim community, why have a Muslim woman covered as she is?
Muslims don't follow sports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If I were a stock-holder, I'd be happy. Yeah, they may have offended a small part of the 100-million or so readers who are too feable minded to process that a different culture and look can be seen as beautiful, but in return they may have opened up 1000x that number by appealing to the vast majority of the world.

You have to get outside your own head. The VAST majority of humanity is not so fragile that a picture of something "deeefrent" will scare and offend them.
I wish I could rep you 100 times for this post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And the question is, why the "left" P.C. crowd is so up in arms against the restrictive tenets of Christianity, yet is full of admiration when it comes to manifestation of Islamic restrictions?
Apples and oranges.

A Muslim woman wearing a burkini, or a Jewish woman wearing below the knee swim capris and a swim tee with elbow-length sleeves, or a Christian woman wearing a knee length swimdress, do not affect me in any way.

A Christian trying to control my health care affects me greatly.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:32 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People get upset when you are constantly dropping bombs on them.

Care to elaborate ?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:33 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
LOL, that was pretty much part of my point. They just appealed to the biggest demographic on the globe. Instead of living in a US-Centric world where other cultures don't exist, think about it for a minute.

They threw a bone to (how many?) billion potential readers who now feel acknowledged. It was brilliant.

If I were a stock-holder, I'd be happy. Yeah, they may have offended a small part of the 100-million or so readers who are too feable minded to process that a different culture and look can be seen as beautiful, but in return they may have opened up 1000x that number by appealing to the vast majority of the world.

You have to get outside your own head. The VAST majority of humanity is not so fragile that a picture of something "deeefrent" will scare and offend them.
No one is scared of this, that's just ridiculous trope straight out of Alinsky's @ss. And I guarantee you, I guarantee you, that the majority of the world's men would rather see a scantily clad attractive female than this.

Three slappies and an eyeroll.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:34 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
NEW YORK, NY—In a controversial move, Sports Illustrated has unveiled photos of its first ever Baptist swimsuit model, pictured in a floor-length denim skirt, modest collared blouse, and no makeup or jewelry whatsoever, other than her purity ring.

The "hot" photoshoot includes pictures of the woman lying on the beach, rolling around in the water, and reading Passion and Purity on the beach in sexy poses, all while completely covered up.

Christians quickly praised the decision.

"We are glad SI finally sees the value of modesty," one leading evangelical said. "A woman mostly covered from head to toe is a great precedent to set, and we hope more models going forward will be dressed this modestly."

The woman, Becky Grace-Charity-Faith Benson, said she's proud to represent her Baptist religious heritage. "It's important for young Christian girls to see that beauty isn't just being skinny or wearing b*kinis---it's wearing a comfy pair of sneaks, a long, denim skirt you made at home, or a modest one-piece bathing suit under a swim shirt and long, flowy swim skirt."

https://babylonbee.com/news/sports-i...ign=benshapiro

Old 05-01-2019, 12:36 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
No one is scared of this, that's just ridiculous trope straight out of Alinsky's @ss. And I guarantee you, I guarantee you, that the majority of the world's men would rather see a scantily clad attractive female than this.

Three slappies and an eyeroll.
that tired 'you're scaaaared!' idiocy is so old. but that never stops them from pulling it out over and over and over again...

sports illustrated jumped the SJW shark a long time ago, however.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Care to elaborate ?
Seriously? Why would people want to get along with those who are constantly dropping bombs on them or backing others that do?

Old 05-01-2019, 12:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Congrats!

Sports Illustrated must think so highly of itself.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/halima-ade...nd-beauty.html
I don't really care much about the shoot. She should be lucky that a woman of such is able to model. In some Islamic countries women can be stone to death in such attire even if covered when it comes to modeling. She is fully covered in clothing, but not covered in a full burka. Not for nothing, I don't find the sports illustration photo shoot of Halima progressive, or ground breaking at all. All the photo shoot has done is brought liberal Islamic feminists women into the conversation that want to keep their strict Islamic identity with elements of western culture. Even though she is wearing a burkini. She is still showing off sensuality, sexuality, and beauty. In some Islamic countries, a woman like this would have been stoned to death for such photo shoot, even if she wore a burkini. As for these SJWs? Call me when such woman like this makes the cover of Sports Illustrated, and not a page.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-01-2019 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies