Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
That depends on why we are more restrictive to women than they are in Europe.

The Queen started this, as she was of a religious purity mindset, and we are still trying to recover from it.

While we're not a Muslim nation, we are a largely a Christian nation and that's why I can't go topless at the beach. So, not evil but I'd say backward.
Are the Amish evil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 05:32 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Are the Amish evil?
Oldfashioned. What exactly do you mean by evil? Possessed by Satan to do evil things or just have ill intent?

Old 05-02-2019, 05:46 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I didn't oppose gay rights because of my Christianity and I don't oppose abortion because of my Christianity. In fact, I don't even really believe in god. I opposed those things because of common sense and science.
That’s your own personal perception. I’m talking about society at large. You can’t honestly tell me that organized religion is not opposed to those points.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:56 PM

78,418 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Are the Amish evil?
53% by latest measurements.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 PM

My personal opinion is we need to stop with the grouping names. Muslims are just people who do Islam. Christians, Christianity, Scientologists, Scientology.
But, by giving it a group name we make them herds of people instead of individuals who just believe in this or that religion.

This Burkini model is taking a stand for Muslims as she says but, in reality, she's taking a stand for Islam. When you look at it that way it's a whole different thing.

We shouldn't lose sight of that. Should Sports illustrated be taking a stand for Islamic law? Christian ideals? Scientology beliefs? I mean it's a sports mag, not a religious mag.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
My personal opinion is we need to stop with the grouping names. Muslims are just people who do Islam. Christians, Christianity, Scientologists, Scientology.
But, by giving it a group name we make them herds of people instead of individuals who just believe in this or that religion.

This Burkini model is taking a stand for Muslims as she says but, in reality, she's taking a stand for Islam. When you look at it that way it's a whole different thing.

We shouldn't lose sight of that. Should Sports illustrated be taking a stand for Islamic law? Christian ideals? Scientology beliefs? I mean it's a sports mag, not a religious mag.
So what are we supposed to do? Shut them down?

Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
So what are we supposed to do? Shut them down?
Well for one, they've stated their viewership is already been sliding down for years which is why they're doing this. It's trying to save the magazine with its progressiveness as most are also trying to do lately.

But, I said in my post that we need to start wording it differently. That would be a start. In America, there are many religions, and people either believe in them or something in-between and there's some that don't.
When we group people we give rise to discrimination.

We've had a lot of groups identifying as one thing or another when in reality we are just one group of people with different ideals and beliefs which we hold individually. Even within these named groups, we've created we don't hold the same beliefs or ideals and that is leading to big problems in America.
We are free to do more than say Iran for example, which sees themselves as one whole group against others.

Not all Muslims(or any other group) believe the same thing, I'm sure you've heard it all before. I think addressing them, as an individual on an individual level, and how they view their chosen belief, would go along way in stopping discrimination as well as other issues which have arisen from this grouping. Like treating religious groups of our choosing like they're handicapped by society, which is far from the truth in America.

It also puts things into perspective.

I'm assuming by your facetiousness you're an individual who practices Islam?

Old 05-03-2019, 06:56 AM

I do not.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Are the Amish evil?
Do they do evil things? Yes.

No generalization about any people has any validity. No people are entirely evil nor entirely good. So, yes, the Amish are evil and so are you. and me. and tht guy or gal over there

Old 05-03-2019, 09:29 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Cultures can and do co-exist, but is it really peaceful ? Take a look at some of the more homogeneous countries, Japan, South Korea, Poland, Sweden, and Denmark for example. How much turmoil do they have ? Mass shootings, terrorist attacks, riots, violence,slums, homeless etc. Seems like those things follow the more diverse countries.

I get it. You want to be open minded , you feel everyone is good until proven otherwise, and probably think the best of people. I'm willing to bet though, there were people such as yourself that thought exactly like you 40-50 years ago in many of the countries in the middle east, not giving much care about Islam and the rise of it. Well look at much of that area now. They can't even co-exist within their own religion, the Sunni and Shiite have been fighting for 1400 years. I for one will never be open minded when it comes to Islam, it is a cancer on this planet.
I do think an "innocent until proven guilty" approach is better than assuming the worst about people, because assuming the worst about people we don't know is not only bigotry but only further serves to bring out the worst in people...

People like you always want to promote taking sides and profiling massive numbers of people into one bunch by way of using past examples of things getting out of hand, but again just think about the numbers, the facts, the history. We humans have been dealing with the problem of religious conflict for how long now? What's new? What is somewhat new is a relatively peaceful period in our history that actually does have more example of peaceful co-existence in many parts of the world where diversity is more prevalent. We're no longer dealing with the likes of the Crusades or world wars. Let's not go that way again! Right?

You want to ignore over 3 million Muslims living peacefully in America, billions all over the world? Fine, but please don't stir the pot of conflict between Christians, Jews, and Muslims any more than necessary with all the "them against us" rhetoric. I am so sick of being caught in that ignorant crossfire, I can't begin to tell you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies