Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You don't. Yours is just another example of people making things up.
Perhaps you have not recently perused ads while helping a teenager find a job? I have kids, I notice how the requirements have changed.

There are way more jobs I could get as a teen that have requirements way beyond what they used to have.

I'm not "making stuff up."

Of course not EVERY job requires a degree. No need to be dramatic.

I'm just pointing out the reality. Right after high school and before I went to college, I got a job preparing mortgage credit reports, typing them up, and running courier service. There is no way the kind of job I had then would be given to anyone without a college degree. And, for what it's worth? I worked for Equifax.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The argument was that there are people who do not want to see college affordable for everyone. That is true.
I actually do agree with this statement, pk.

There are definitely people who do not want to see college affordable for everyone and this is not a partisan issue at all.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
No, it isn't. That's just your class warfare politicians trying to make you believe that. It's hogwash. Why would I care if some poor person goes to college? Why would anyone care?
Read the arguments here. "Not everyone should go to college". You can't say it's not true when there are many examples right here on this page. Just because you say it's not true for yourself does not make it not true for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 12:55 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I have three kids 31 to 22 years of age.

Even in that 9 and a half year span I've seen a shift in parents encouraging kids to go off to university.

My oldest was still in that age of 'all kids need to go to college"....which is crazy. It should never have been that, never needed to be.

By the time my youngest came along, many of his peer did pursue careers via the university route...but many worked for a bit and figured it out, some went to local community colleges to figure it out.......there were many 'acceptable' options.

The push for college wasn't a red vs. blue thing. There was no straight line.

We as a society put a value on a secondary education. Look at how we define/defined our leaders.

Even Trump thinks he is special because he went to university.

I have a brother who didn't finish high school. He's always worked -- has never relied on anybody since he was about 16. He's a blue collar guy all the way. He has a lovely home, a good life..

I don't care what my kids do -- as long as they can look after themselves and be decent human beings.

So far so good.

We have to stop being impressed with jobs, cars, houses and be impressed with the human condition of a person. Are they caring, compassionate, understanding, open minded.......

Yeah I'm getting old...lol.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Perhaps you have not recently perused ads while helping a teenager find a job? I have kids, I notice how the requirements have changed.

There are way more jobs I could get as a teen that have requirements way beyond what they used to have.

I'm not "making stuff up."

Of course not EVERY job requires a degree. No need to be dramatic.
You ran off a list that do not need a degree and asked why they should need a degree when they do not. It wasn't me being dramatic.

Quote:
I'm just pointing out the reality. Right after high school and before I went to college, I got a job preparing mortgage credit reports, typing them up, and running courier service. There is no way the kind of job I had then would be given to anyone without a college degree. And, for what it's worth? I worked for Equifax.
Again, you rambled an entire lists of jobs that do not require a degree.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I actually do agree with this statement, pk.

There are definitely people who do not want to see college affordable for everyone and this is not a partisan issue at all.
I rarely make partisan arguments. One side argues to not fund and the other side won't address the cost side. I've often argued that for everyone to benefit, everyone has to give up something.

I've argued against the idea of needing Art to be a Accounting major. I've had people complain that students need the entire experience. That is great if you can afford it. Not everyone can so not everyone needs to.

We are very, very slowly moving in this direction but there shouldn't be books to buy. You should just pay a yearly access fee to a computer where the books are kept. I've had people complain about this.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:00 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The way to reduce the cost is to reduce the demand. Stop sending the bottom 50% to college, and the costs will drop substantially. This is basic economics 101, but they are teaching communism in college these days.

Agreed-

Try to funnel most kids to JUCOs for the first two years and use the universities for the last two years and grad schools. Takes the heat off over crowded schools, cuts demand, lowers costs for the parents.

Student loans should he evaluated with the same scrutiny as any other loan. Getting a dance major? Rejected- not a viable pathway to pay back that loan. Engineering? Great- approved.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:05 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The people that are the most screwed at getting an education are those that were "meh" students with parents that make too much to qualify for aid and too little to pay the bill.

If you fall in that boat then look at junior colleges or other programs and paths to education and a career.
We're experiencing that right now with my stepdaughter, who graduates high school next month. She takes honors classes and makes As and Bs, but that's not getting academic scholarships. According to FAFSA (which only counts income and assets with no consideration to expenses and debts, and forces her to include my step-parent income), we should be able to contribute nearly $40k a year towards her schooling, so not one penny of needs based aid for her. I can't find that $3k+ per month disposable income we're supposed to have no matter where I look.

We're encouraging her to attend a local university that offers her desired major while living at home, which should allow her to graduate with little debt. I'm not sure if she's willing to do so. I've seen other kids in similar situations insist that they get/deserve the "full college experience" and incur massive debt to do so.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
We're experiencing that right now with my stepdaughter, who graduates high school next month. She takes honors classes and makes As and Bs, but that's not getting academic scholarships. According to FAFSA (which only counts income and assets with no consideration to expenses and debts, and forces her to include my step-parent income), we should be able to contribute nearly $40k a year towards her schooling, so not one penny of needs based aid for her. I can't find that $3k+ per month disposable income we're supposed to have no matter where I look.

We're encouraging her to attend a local university that offers her desired major while living at home, which should allow her to graduate with little debt. I'm not sure if she's willing to do so. I've seen other kids in similar situations insist that they get/deserve the "full college experience" and incur massive debt to do so.
I am NOT claiming this for everyone. I understand life gets in the way. My daughter graduates next month also. We have been paying for her education since she was born. Hopefully we will have some of it left over when she is done.

Obviously we are getting nothing from FAFSA either. Odd they still insist you go through the motions even though you aren't going to get anything.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:44 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Why isn't ANYONE talking about bringing college costs down?

Except maybe this guy:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#1305f5486eee

Because people like Great Warrior Warren are paid $400K+ to teach one college class. These people screaming for bailouts don't want to address the root causes of the problem because it is all of their cronies riding the gravy train. I work in academia so I see it on a daily basis. If you want to reduce college costs here is the blueprint:

1. Get the government out of backing every loan for every mouth-breather out there majoring in man-hating and lint rolling studies. So many worthless degrees are being backed right now and these students will never pay this money back in full because they have no earning potential. There worthless degree tracks should not be subsidized by the government.

2. Fire 90% of administrators. Most of these individuals work less than 10 hours per week and get paid over $150K.

3. Take a serious look at faculty pay. Plenty of faculty members getting paid $100K+ who also work less than 10 hours per week. And then you have people like Great Warrior Warren making $400K+ for teaching one class.

4. Cut "amenity" costs in higher education. The amount being spent on bells and whistles in higher ed is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies