Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US tax the bejesus out of privately owned cars?
Yes, do it to fight our loneliness crisis. 4 8.70%
Yes, but do it because it's the right thing to do, not to fight loneliness 1 2.17%
No, leave the taxes where they are, or even reduce them. 37 80.43%
other (please explain below). 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,867 times

Advertisements

In the US we are currently experiencing a 'loneliness crisis' that has been widely reported.
https://www.ajc.com/news/health-med-...3qZI8WlukHfpK/
It may be partially responsible for our increasing suicides and drug deaths, and in turn our declining lifespans.
We Americans spend much time in the sealed metal and glass boxes that we call automobiles. No wonder we are bereft of human contact!

The Danes have a convivial and cohesive society; this has even been proven by OECD studies. Denmark taxes the bejesus out of privately owned automobiles. Until just recently the Danes taxed economy cars at 105%, and higher-priced at 180%. There is also a VAT tax slapped on, and annual environment fees. As in most European nations, fuel is heavily taxed. The result is that Danes tend to get out of their steel and glass boxes, and onto bicycles and public transit. No wonder they don't have our loneliness crisis!

Do you agree that we should increase car taxes as a way to fight loneliness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 05:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Important to know what the Danes are doing - I did business there, visited a few times and made friends with Danes and their families.

But the poll sucks and narrowing it down to a car tax or not is ridiculous. I could tell you a little about Denmark....

1. In even the smallest town, you can get a trolley or a regular train that goes just about anywhere - anytime.
2. Bike lanes are everywhere - completely separate from the street. Many Danes use them year-round.
3. They don't live to work - they work to live.
4. 16 year olds can drink beer and even have sex... both with the full approval of their parents.
5. They take pride in their accomplishments - greed is NOT good, but rather accomplishment (not $$) is looked up to.
6. Cradle to Grave health care and social services and safety net for ALL - all of the time.
7. Highly educated populace - you will almost never find a Dane who has not been all around the world...of course, education is free.
8. Tolerance is the name of the game - everywhere. Liberalism is their creed.
9. Environmental matters are of utmost importance.
10. They drink every day at lunch...and then, from that time on.
11. A work week is 33-35 hours - full time pay and benefits and Unions.

That's just off the top of my head.

So, my poll is...do you think your question is a good poll?

Old 12-15-2018, 05:22 PM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Yeah its the car and not phones or computers lol
The left really hates cars and the independence they bring.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,649,903 times
How many people ride the subway everyday in NYC and never say a word to anyone?

Cars have nothing to do with it. I think smartphones and social media are a big reason, everyone nowadays wants to text and chat on Facebook.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:30 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Important to know what the Danes are doing - I did business there, visited a few times and made friends with Danes and their families.

But the poll sucks and narrowing it down to a car tax or not is ridiculous. I could tell you a little about Denmark....

1. In even the smallest town, you can get a trolley or a regular train that goes just about anywhere - anytime.
2. Bike lanes are everywhere - completely separate from the street. Many Danes use them year-round.
3. They don't live to work - they work to live.
4. 16 year olds can drink beer and even have sex... both with the full approval of their parents.
5. They take pride in their accomplishments - greed is NOT good, but rather accomplishment (not $$) is looked up to.
6. Cradle to Grave health care and social services and safety net for ALL - all of the time.
7. Highly educated populace - you will almost never find a Dane who has not been all around the world...of course, education is free.
8. Tolerance is the name of the game - everywhere. Liberalism is their creed.
9. Environmental matters are of utmost importance.
10. They drink every day at lunch...and then, from that time on.
11. A work week is 33-35 hours - full time pay and benefits and Unions.

That's just off the top of my head.

So, my poll is...do you think your question is a good poll?
Nowhere did I suggest that we could not also do any of those other things as well. But if I did a poll with 12 topics, and four responses each, I would have had 48 poll response options. Feel free to put up such a poll if you wish, but it's going to be a lot of typing for you.

Did you notice the 'other' option in my poll? I almost always include the 'other' option in polls, for those like you who find my options inadequate.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:02 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah its the car and not phones or computers lol
The left really hates cars and the independence they bring.
Its great. But as an option. But if you live in a city where it’s completely built for cars, you become slaves to your cars. Id rather take the train if its a short walk from the station than be stuck on the 110 for an hr and a half moving inch by inch.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 PM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Driving makes me happy though, it's only really people that annoy me so I avoid them unless I know they are cool.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:40 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,788,713 times
I think the U.K. government pays people to attend group cooking classes if they report feeling lonely. That's because being lonely is as bad as smoking for effects on your health.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:41 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,654,380 times
I see some people drive cars to meet up with other people. I see others ride bicycles just to ride home again. Most people are lonely because that is what we are comfortable with.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Nowhere did I suggest that we could not also do any of those other things as well. But if I did a poll with 12 topics, and four responses each, I would have had 48 poll response options. Feel free to put up such a poll if you wish, but it's going to be a lot of typing for you.

Did you notice the 'other' option in my poll? I almost always include the 'other' option in polls, for those like you who find my options inadequate.
The point is, happiness has zero to do with cars or car taxes. There is no relation and we could tax cars 1000% in the USA and people would not be any happier.

Cars are not causing our grief. Lack of caring for one another and other (Danes care about Danes AND everyone else).....that's the root of our problem(s).

Our problems are rooted in violence and selfishness. We have the money and resources to fix them. But we don't want to - because Greed is Good at creating bad outcomes that then provide more opportunities for greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies