Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 10:31 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

They only 'apologized' because they were caught.

But it doesn't matter whether it's legal or illegal to practice such things, many companies will make such requests 'off the record' in an attempt to skirt any EEOC regulations (and this goes for all races/ethnicities).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48096898

Quote:
A US recruitment firm has been accused of racism after posting a job advert stating that it would prefer to hear from white candidates.

Cynet Systems listed the account manager role on a number of websites, including LinkedIn and Glassdoor.

In the job description, it said the ideal applicant would be "preferably Caucasian who has good technical background including knowledge of RPA".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 11:16 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
"We have already begun a review of all currently existing and upcoming ads to ensure no similar issues exist," he said. "We are also looking at measures that could help us catch offensive or outside-of-policy ads before they ever go live."
He added that his firm has two Indian-American owners and a workforce that is "over 60% minority".
Sure enough. My first thought when seeing this was that the company must be run by foreigners. No Caucasian American would write an ad like that. But that won't stop the media from portraying this as an incidence of white racism.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:14 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Oh many companies do that silently. A typical IT company has Indian tech managers, white account managers, and white/Asian/Indian mixed engineers.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:42 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
They should just word it different, "Caucasians encouraged to apply". It's works on everyone else.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:24 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
I find it odd but whatever. Freedom of association is paramount. I hope the State doesn't put the owners in timeout.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:40 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
They only 'apologized' because they were caught.

But it doesn't matter whether it's legal or illegal to practice such things, many companies will make such requests 'off the record' in an attempt to skirt any EEOC regulations (and this goes for all races/ethnicities).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48096898
I saw this story. Apparently the recruiting firm that posted the position is based in India (the company is US-based). The CEO/owner immediately took it down and fired the employee that actually wrote it. The owner is Indian and the company is diverse, so it seems like an overreaction. The company has handled it and is moving on.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:42 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Familiar with Aesop's Fable " The Tortoise and the Hare " ?
This story of a race between to unequal partners is one example
that a job should be based only on merit.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
No different than the woman's bb coach at Notre Dame saying she'd never hire a man. As long as you're equally outraged by that, enjoy your SJW moment.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:45 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Sure enough. My first thought when seeing this was that the company must be run by foreigners. No Caucasian American would write an ad like that. But that won't stop the media from portraying this as an incidence of white racism.
It is definitely not white racism, and the recruiting firm that posted the add was in India. As you mentioned, the owner is Indian too. The media clip I saw pointed that out right away, so I don’t think the media is necessarily portraying it as white racism but rather the general public would probably initially automatically assume that.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
LOL. Yes, I know a company where practically everyone was from India, and their client told them to hire locals, so they hired 10 US resources just to make them happy. They were all fired before the year was over, but at least they could say they hired Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies