Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 08:49 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

Big Joe ate since a kid.
Shakes and fries that's what he did.
Smoked to toss the fat aside,
but a heart valve later now pumps inside.
Big Joe still smokes and thinks he's won
If this craps out I'll get another one.
Smoke, shake, fries what a high.
Nothing to stop me until the day I die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 08:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok, but you're going to sock it to a tremendous amount of Middle America Trump supporters.
Who knew that all of those on public assistance were so fit and trim--and didn't smoke?

The things you learn on CD!

Old 05-01-2019, 08:58 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.corporatewellnessmagazin...hronic-disease

Such a waste of money allocating tremendous amounts of resources to people who aren't trying to keep their weight down.

Hoping that President Trump repeals it and they go to Medicaid block grant so that states are responsible for their own health care programs to tailor programs that are custom tailored to their populations.

I have no problem with a good Medicaid system but obese should be required to lose weight quickly and smokers should stop in order to qualify.

If they knew that if they didn't stay trim and refrain from smoking that they would have no coverage then obesity would go down and taxes either be cut or they could allocate resources to more productive items.

They should give people on Medicaid a set-time frame to get their BMI below 30 and lose coverage.

Are you serious?

Medicaid is a program for the indigent. I don't support the gubment busybodies telling those recipients that they can't engage in "risky" behavior, any more than I support insurance companies doing the same thing to their subscribers.

Of course, that is the goal for some, and the reason they push single-payer, government-run health insurance: to sing the We're paying for it,
so...
song.

Give me a break.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Don't tell me now...that people believe SCIENCE that smoking is bad.

But air pollution isn't. Climate change is not occurring and tens of millions of gallons of oil spills and billions of gallons of poo doesn't hurt water quality.

The earth is flat.

I mean....why all the belief in science....all of a sudden? The Earth was created 6,000 years ago and The Lord decides when you will live and die and how.

If anyone dares question these truths, I will march out example of 100 year old smokers. SO THERE!!!

oh please. there is real science regarding cigarette smoking and cancer.

and yes we know air pollution and water pollution is bad.

the earth is round, we know this because of pictures taken from the moon of the earth.

as for climate change, it is happening, but it has yet to be proven that man is having this huge effect on the climate, and that we only have a handful of years to do something before the change is irreversible.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
What is the determining factor in an overweight person being denied benefits?

remember that bodies are different, a person weighing 20 pounds more might be in better shape than an anorexic friend.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I don't think you can force someone to lose weight and anyway, we all know that there are some people who truly have something wrong with them that causes them to be overweight. And there are medications that cause people to gain weight.

I think more education about nutrition and the dangers of consuming junk like soda or fast food might accomplish something though.

As for cigarettes--I agree. But how is the doctor or the insurance company really going to know if someone smokes?

Old 05-01-2019, 09:37 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What about all the poor Democrat voters in Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, L.A., Chicago, Washington DC, New York, etc, etc.? They're going to take quite a hit too. Stop acting as though Trump voters are all poor idiots and the Democrat voters are all educated, self-supporting professionals.

(I just like to correct the arrogant assumptions of liberals whenever I get a chance.)
Go look at the data on where the most smokers and fatasses live. Midwest / Southern red states all lead the pack.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:18 AM

776 posts, read 394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Another idea is force the tobacco companies to foot the bill.

They want to continue being able to legally sell a PROVEN deadly product to anyone 18 and over...there is a price to pay for that!
The Tobacco Master Settlement was supposed to do this, but the states spent the money on other things. The Master Settlement was the result of the Attorneys General of all 50 states sueing the tobacco companies for burdening their states' Medicaid.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:09 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
According to a 2007 study by researchers from Johns Hopkins University, a shoulder replacement's total costs, on average, are $10,351

Note that was 2007.

Yesterday I was quoted $7,000 for the. Surgery at a private hospital in the Philippines. We can afford to fly people 1/2 way around the world, put them up in luxury hotels ($35 a night) and would save a fortune

Old 05-02-2019, 04:27 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Wil you stop taxing them after you boot them out?
Do Medicaid people pay a lot in tax? Seems to me people on welfare medical programs are net USERS of taxpayer resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies