Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 06:39 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
That combines elements of the right and left?

Pro 2nd amendment
Pro life
Local/state control of education
Universal healthcare
Paid maternity leave
Actually making companies PAY the taxes they owe not allowing them all these loopholes etc
Pro free speech no matter the topic
Education k-college that doesn't cost us anything. Somehow we manage to pay teachers in k-12 without having to pay for our kids education but as soon as college comes all of sudden you need to go into debt to achieve that. Part of that is getting government backed loans taken away,this makes the colleges raise prices because they know government will pay for it all in some way.

This isn't an insane task is it!? I can't be the only one who wants this? Can I?
Who pays for all your free programs?

Something does need to be done with healthcare. Most people have no idea what a tenuous mess it is, especially if you end up disabled, and republicans don't want to budge. Even without universal healthcare there need to be more options like buy-ins to Medicare or Medicaid. The poverty level is a joke, a person making 20K/yr cannot afford any insurance policy, not even an ACA zero-premium bronze policy due to insane deductible and copayments. The problem is republicans don't want to even try anything to alleviate this, and talk of cuts and making it even more difficult as if that is a positive. This just makes them look very, very bad. The dems go too far, wanting everything free for everyone, even illegals. It is frustrating. I'd be good with slowly implementing some system of buy-ins and upping the poverty level but this needs to be limited to US citizens.

College should not be free. Perhaps some two year or trade programs. Everyone does not need to go to college. We need more Americans to be skilled in the trades, it is important.

Pro-choice with limitations, no post natal abortions. At least not until they kid reaches about age fifteen.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:

Pro 2nd amendment
Pro life
Universal healthcare
Paid maternity leave
Actually making companies PAY the taxes they owe not allowing them all these loopholes etc
Education k-college that doesn't cost us anything. Somehow we manage to pay teachers in k-12 without having to pay for our kids education but as soon as college comes all of sudden you need to go into debt to achieve that. Part of that is getting government backed loans taken away,this makes the colleges raise prices because they know government will pay for it all in some way.

This isn't an insane task is it!? I can't be the only one who wants this? Can I?
Can someone actually show causation correlation for the bold ? Like an actual college stating that is why they raised tuition ????

Old 05-07-2019, 08:55 AM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
A new political party wouldn’t solve / change anything, because:

1) We’d still have the same deep bitter cultural divisions about every major issue of the day.

2) Political campaigns would still be funded by Big Money/ corporate interests.

The US will continue to devolve into a third world banana republic. Nothing is going to change.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be able to support your party.

Quote:
Pro 2nd amendment
I don't know what that means. I'm pro 2nd Amendment, but I also accept the fact and the reality that in history, no militia, military or society ever allowed the mentally ill to be armed. The Constitution does address that. It's called "Due Process." If the State can demonstrate that an individual would cause harm to another or themselves by reason of mental defect or a propensity for violence, that person has forfeited their "right" to bear arms.

And, bearing arms means exactly that. If you can strap an 8"/203 mm self-propelled howitzer to your back and lug it around, you can have it.

Quote:
Pro life
I don't know what that means, either.

I am pro-life, but I don't see life existing until the being is sentient, so I don't have an issue with first trimester abortions.

Quote:
Universal healthcare
I don't know what that means. Universal healthcare comes in many flavors.

You probably think your healthcare system is a mess, and you're right, but your State and federal governments created this mess by making egregious errors.

If and when your State and federal governments muster up the courage to admit they made errors, and then move to correct the egregious errors they made, you'll find that medical care is cheaper, and as a result, health insurance is cheaper.

Quote:
Paid maternity leave
That's a State issue, not a federal issue. Labor is not "Interstate Commerce" no matter what the Supreme Court said.

Quote:
Education k-college that doesn't cost us anything. Somehow we manage to pay teachers in k-12 without having to pay for our kids education but as soon as college comes all of sudden you need to go into debt to achieve that.
Um, the reason it's "free" is because people and businesses pay property taxes.

In accordance with the Constitution, the federal government is banned from levying property taxes, because the Constitution only permits income taxes.

And, since you don't seem to be knowledgeable about any of the topics you mentioned, you should know that there is no such thing as "free" college in foreign States.

Free college is only for the elite.

In Germany, Romania, Sweden, the Netherlands et al, you get free college, if and only if, you are intelligent enough to score high enough on the tests.

If you don't score high enough, you don't get free college, but you may qualify for specialized training.

If you don't score high enough to qualify for specialized training, then you're limited to vocational or technical training.

If you don't score high enough for those, then you get absolutely nothing.

Are you prepared to do that?

Are you willing to limit "free" college to only those who score 2100 on the SAT or 27 on the ACT?

Because that's how the rest of the world does it.

Quote:

Why don't you register a non-profit and set up a web-site to find out?

Old 05-07-2019, 10:56 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And, since you don't seem to be knowledgeable about any of the topics you mentioned, you should know that there is no such thing as "free" college in foreign States.

Free college is only for the elite.

In Germany, Romania, Sweden, the Netherlands et al, you get free college, if and only if, you are intelligent enough to score high enough on the tests.

If you don't score high enough, you don't get free college, but you may qualify for specialized training.

If you don't score high enough to qualify for specialized training, then you're limited to vocational or technical training.

If you don't score high enough for those, then you get absolutely nothing.

Are you prepared to do that?

Are you willing to limit "free" college to only those who score 2100 on the SAT or 27 on the ACT?

Because that's how the rest of the world does it.
I believe the kids are placed on education "tracks" from a young age based on school performance. I can't imagine Americans tolerating this. The little princess put a trade school track, well all heck would break loose with parental foot stomping, screaming and lawsuits.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:08 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Can someone actually show causation correlation for the bold ? Like an actual college stating that is why they raised tuition ????
"Can someone actually show causation correlation for the bold ?"
When did college debt start to grow rapidly? AFTER the fed stared to GUARANTEE the loans.

Like an actual college stating that is why they raised tuition ????"

Do you really believe colleges will tell the truth?

College cost went UP AFTER the FED started to back student loans.

College's WANT students. Many students CANNOT afford to go to college WITHOUT a LOAN.

Loans become backed by the fed because private loan companies WOULD NOT GRANT many of loans.

MORE kids are going to college BECAUSE they CAN get loans.

Supply and demand.

The colleges SEE more kids want to go to college and the fed made it easier for them.

When there is a HIGH demand, the prices go UP! They can RAISE the cost BECAUSE THE FED IS GOING GO BACK THE LOANS.

It is NOT rocket science!

Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think there's not enough $$$ to make a new party.

No matter how much the (D)s and (R)s may argue and point fingers, you can bet $$$ to donuts they'd mount a united front against any possibility of a viable third party and they've got lots of $$$ to fund their opposition. It's a shame Trump didn't run third party, he have actually been able to pull it off and do some real good for the country.
Never thought I would ever agree with you on anything, and yet here we are.

If Trump had run as a 3rd Party candidate I would have still voted for him. He's done plenty good for the country to date, but I think he would have had a good shot as a 3rd Party candidate. None of the Dems wanted him to win, and almost none of the Rs wanted him to win either. He had the money to pull it off, but instead chose to take advantage of the infrastructure already in place in the R Party.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:02 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the last successful new party was the GOP, formed about 160 years ago. Zip since then. Perot's 'Reform' party made some noise in 1992, but ultimately fizzled.
That was a shame. It ended up pulling too many conservatives over and that resulted in a Clinton win.

I never want that again.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:

Pro 2nd amendment
Pro life
Universal healthcare
Paid maternity leave

This is overly simplistic, if not just ignorant of the true situation.

K-12 doesn't require the student to move out of their home and spend $1000s per year on renting a place to live, or purchasing food and daily living expenses since their parents generally already have that covered under a singular shared family expense.

Furthermore, with such highly specialized programs, schools and universities (unlike K-12) need the following:

-High end industrial equipment for science and technical programs
-Cutting edge technology and expertise to teach the latest in STEM
-Highly trained experts (ie. not just someone who memorized a history text well enough to explain it to 10 year olds)

Old 05-08-2019, 09:23 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:

Pro 2nd amendment
Pro life
Universal healthcare
Paid maternity leave

I'm with you on a lot of these issues, I would consider myself more of a Libertarian than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies