Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 05:09 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, let me ask you....if a company goes to an auction, buys cars, sells them at a profit, and that does not help the economy?

It doesn't put American manufacturing workers to work. But the reality is, young Americans have been told to avoid these jobs, so there aren't that many with the skills necessary anymore. We've become deeply dependent on China for manufacturing as a whole. We've lost the manufacturing culture, the skill base, and a whole lot of the manufacturing base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 05:12 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, let me ask you....if a company goes to an auction, buys cars, sells them at a profit, and that does not help the economy?
If they're used cars, the cars have already been manufactured long ago. The only people it employs are the employees of the auction company, and possibly some truck drivers to deliver the cars to the auction lot. That's nothing compared to the huge supply chain needed to build new cars.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:14 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I don't know if this is true or not, this is just my opinion, so feel free to correct me.

I am afraid there is no future for anyone in America in any job identified as “low skill,” and there likely never will be again. If your job doesn't require you to learn or have more and more advanced skills based on improving experience or education you’re literally counting the days till you get laid off and replaced by some low skill worker(s) in a low cost country.

Today, cheap global shipping means it’s far too easy to use cheaper low skill labor from parts of the globe that have much lower costs of living. It’s impossible for America to compete with those countries for low skill manufacturing jobs and we shouldn't try to.

The rust belt’s only hope is to invest in free and plentiful higher education (and re-education). To remain competitive America only has one choice, to increase the education and skill of its workforce so that they are “worth” their premium cost compared to lower skilled competitors in other nations.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't know if this is true or not, this is just my opinion, so feel free to correct me.

I am afraid there is no future for anyone in America in any job identified as “low skill,” and there likely never will be again. If your job doesn't require you to learn or have more and more advanced skills based on improving experience or education you’re literally counting the days till you get laid off and replaced by some low skill worker(s) in a low cost country.

Today, cheap global shipping means it’s far too easy to use cheaper low skill labor from parts of the globe that have much lower costs of living. It’s impossible for America to compete with those countries for low skill manufacturing jobs and we shouldn't try to.

The rust belt’s only hope is to invest in free and plentiful higher education (and re-education). To remain competitive America only has one choice, to increase the education and skill of its workforce so that they are “worth” their premium cost compared to lower skilled competitors in other nations.

Have you ever heard of "skilled labor"? Not all manufacturing jobs are unskilled. Some of the highest skilled, most challenging blue collar jobs are found in manufacturing, and take years to master. But we gave up on the hard jobs in favor of getting fat behind a desk and calling China to do our heavy lifting. This is one reason the world no longer respects us. They see us as chumps who traded away our source of prosperity for fiat currency that can become worthless overnight.

If America did not gut it's source of prosperity, people wouldn't have to retrain every decade trying to find the hot job of tomorrow. The life and model we are following today is simply not sustainable.

And I hate to burst your bubble but there is no such thing as free education. Someone always has to pay. And students pay in lost income earning potential while they are in a classroom not doing a job.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Have you ever heard of "skilled labor"? Not all manufacturing jobs are unskilled. Some of the highest skilled, most challenging blue collar jobs are found in manufacturing, and take years to master. But we gave up on the hard jobs in favor of getting fat behind a desk and calling China to do our heavy lifting. This is one reason the world no longer respects us.
You are probably right.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:18 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If they're used cars, the cars have already been manufactured long ago. The only people it employs are the employees of the auction company, and possibly some truck drivers to deliver the cars to the auction lot. That's nothing compared to the huge supply chain needed to build new cars.
Well, those used cars need to be fixed up using the same or similar supply chain for parts.
Besides, it's a well known fact that car dealers make most of their car sales profits from the used car side.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:20 PM

623 posts, read 233,995 times
Higher prices for cars and tougher financing are putting a damper on car sales, noted Priscilla Thiagamoorthy, economist at BMO Capital Markets.

The answer was right there in the article. As usual you ignored it. I for one have NEVER bought a new car. I buy them with cash in full...I hate payments.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:21 PM

we can compete on the cost of the final product with automated assembly lines, because it mitigates their low cost labor advantage and levels the playing field.

And with that, it will bring something else we haven't seen before; companies in other countries having their goods made in the USA instead of China. We, through technology and our sheer abundance of physical space and materials, could lead the world in manufacturing. We have the best technology, the best environmental and sustainability policies, and the best minds working on it.

The only reason we aren't doing this already is because the politicians won't get out of the way. If our elected leaders can create favorable tax and regulatory policies that are attractive to producers of consumer products around the world, and then get out of the way, everyone will be scrambling to do business here instead of avoiding us.

Really hope Trump and his policies would be the answer.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:22 PM

623 posts, read 233,995 times
Looking at the graph seems like car sales are up and down CONSTANTLY...nothing to do with Trump...Everything to do with NEED of a vehicle and people not wanting to pay sky high prices and people not being able to get financing or in my case buying my cars from craigslist in cash..

Old 05-02-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Huh? I don't think I have said anything about free education.

Quote:

Unless I'm misinterpreting your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies